R18 BROKEN FORK KEY FOB/FORK KEY REPLACE R18 WHERE AND $$

Has anyone found a cheaper way to replace the R18 fob/fork key combo? I broke my fork key and I cringe at the thought of having to fork over $390.00 for a replacement. Has anyone found a way to replace just the fork key?

Update is dealer said they can get just the fork key and ship blank fork key to me for about $33.00. dealwr said local keyplace can cut it. I have my doubts but will update in case it helps anyone.

Bummer. Yea, I could see that happening to me while I was doing too many things at once. If they can get the blank that would be a fantastic cost savings. Good luck.

I repaired a busted key fob for my vw using JBWeld, it's held up for over 10 years.. and still going strong. The key had broken right off, but there was a short tab that fit into a short notch.. I dovetailed the tab a little and glued it up... there wasn't much purchase but it's held up admirably to the twisting forces needed to turn the ignition to start the car.

On my R18 FE I generally use the spare key for the fork lock, have used it hundreds of times without issue since Oct 2020. The steering lock doesn't require much force to turn and holding the key close to the lock will reduce the stress to a degree.

vw_key_fixed_with_jbweld.jpg

Last edited:
I repaired a busted key fob for my vw using JBWeld, it's held up for over 10 years.. and still going strong. The key had broken right off, but there was a short tab that fit into a short notch.. I dovetailed the tab a little and glued it up... there wasn't much purchase but it's held up admirably to the twisting forces needed to turn the ignition to start the car.

On my R18 FE I generally use the spare key for the fork lock, have used it hundreds of times without issue since Oct 2020. The steering lock doesn't require much force to turn and holding the key close to the lock will reduce the stress to a degree.

View attachment 7338

Yo Hossman1, it appears you can get a replacement bit for the R18 key fob for a reasonable price.. check out this link to see on MAXBMW parts site:

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/oem-parts/bmw-motorrad-repair-kit-key-bit-codiert-66129831884?c=Zz1ib2R5LWVxdWlwbWVudCZzPWxvY2tzJmw9NSZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9Ym13LW1vdG9ycmFkJm89ci0xOCZ5PTIwMjE=
So let me get this straight .. that is the metal part of the key (the part that 'flips' out) ? that would be not too expensive, good find!

So let me get this straight .. that is the metal part of the key (the part that 'flips' out) ? that would be not too expensive, good find!
Yup, I think so, looks like just the blade of the key.. when added to cart it prompts for valid VIN number. They don't indicate cutting the key but I believe they could since they have the VIN, almost worth ordering one to find out.

Yup, I think so, looks like just the blade of the key.. when added to cart it prompts for valid VIN number. They don't indicate cutting the key but I believe they could since they have the VIN, almost worth ordering one to find out.
I agree! for that price I might just order one simply to have a spare on hand. Let us know please how it turns out. This could be a very valuable info to all of us.
Thanks!

The key fob replacement bit (key blade) must be ordered at a dealer to verify purchaser. The key bit will be verified for fitment with the bike, the cost was under 30 bucks, and about a 10th the cost of a new fob. I ordered one today at MAXBMW, I expect it will be shipped to them within a few days. I will use it to make a key for the fork-lock, so I don't have to use my fob or spare. Must remember to use a plastic head so it will break off if I leave it in the lock, a break-away key sounds like a good idea in this respect to avoid damaging the bike.

part #7 - 66129831884 - Repair kit key bit

1665251807489.png

Last edited:
TH A MILLION! I haven't had time to follow up with the dealer yet but i will Monday morning!!
The key fob replacement bit (key blade) must be ordered directly from the dealer to verify purchaser. The key bit will be verified for fitment with the bike, the cost was under 30 bucks, and about a 10th the cost of a new fob. I ordered one today at MAXBMW, I expect it will be shipped to them within a few days. I will use it to make a key for the fork-lock, so I don't have to use my fob or spare. Must remember to use a plastic head so it will break off if I leave it in the lock, a break-away key sounds like a good idea in this respect to avoid damaging the bike.

part #7 - 66129831884 - Repair kit key bit

View attachment 7361
THX A MILLION! I haven't had time to follow up yet but I will definitely call dealer Monday morning!

I ordered a replacement key bit for my R18 fob on Saturday the 8th. It arrived at MAX today, Tuesday the 11th. It does seem the keys get some priority, excellent delivery time. Went over and picked it up, all set. (y)

Back