R18 Bagger Wannabe?

lowbar

My name is Dennis, I live in Central Georgia, and I am contemplating the purchased of a 2023 BMW R18B. I'm not sure why, but I am. I test rode one at Biketoberfest a few weeks ago and I can't get it off my mind. The last BMW I had was a 1985 R80. Great motorcycle but I had trouble with the carburetor floats sticking. I guess that isn't an issue anymore. I spent most of my time between then and now on Harley Baggers. I enjoyed the bikes but got really tired of the dealers near me. When my last one was having issues, I bought a 2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger (non-tour). It's a very good bike but... it's a Honda, not very exciting. It is an excellent appliance. That works out well for cars but not so much for motorcycles. I'm going to make some comments on my thoughts about BMW and the R18B. Feel free to give me your input.
  • I love the look of the bike.
  • I'm concerned about the slow speed maneuverability compared to a Harley or Honda Bagger. Not fair to compare it to sport bikes.
  • The infotainment system is a relatively new design compared to the Harley and Honda. How does it really work? Do you know who makes it?
  • How is the vibration? Is it noticeable between 10 and 80 mph?
  • I've read about issues with the adaptive headlight and dealers unable to get parts. Is that sorted out? Any other known trouble areas.
  • The dealer network really concerns me. The closest dealer is 100 miles away and that is on the other side of Atlanta, so the traffic is horrible. A friend with a R1250GSA goes to Asheville for service which is almost 200 miles away.
  • Sales are obviously not good which is making for some good deals but will the R18s be around much longer? I know no one has a crystal ball but what is the thought in the community.
  • Any other advice or suggestions?

Last edited:
My name is Dennis, I live in Central Georgia, and I am contemplating the purchased of a 2023 BMW R18B. I'm not sure why, but I am. I test rode one at Biketoberfest a few weeks ago and I can't get it off my mind. The last BMW I had was a 1985 R80. Great motorcycle but I had trouble with the carburetor floats sticking. I guess that isn't an issue anymore. I spent most of my time between then and now on Harley Baggers. I enjoyed the bikes but got really tired of the dealers near me. When my last one was having issues, I bought a 2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger (non-tour). It's a very good bike but... it's a Honda, not very exciting. It is an excellent appliance. That works out well for cars but not so much for motorcycles. I'm going to make some comments on my thoughts about BMW and the R18B. Feel free to give me your input.
Me, too!
  • I'm concerned about the slow speed maneuverability compared to a Harley or Honda Bagger. Not fair to compare it to sport bikes.
Low-speed manueverability is excellent, especially for ~900 pound bike.
  • The infotainment system is a relatively new design compared to the Harley and Honda. How does it really work? Do you know who makes it?
I use the nav - a bit fiddly but accurate, not as good as my Zumo but still good; and the phone - excellent. The music works fine, sounds good, but I don't use it much (personal riding preference).
Not an issue once I added Grip Buddies, which I only added because the stock handgrip diameter is too small for me.
  • I've read about issues the adaptive headlight and dealers unable to get parts. Is that sorted out? Any other known trouble areas.
Recommend a forum review; seems to be some issues with a low frequency/number of occurrences. However those issues have expensive and a bit slow to resolve. Reminds me of the 1150 GS birthing issues...
  • The dealer network really concerns me. The closest dealer is 100 miles away and that is on the other side of Atlanta, so the traffic is horrible. A friend with a R1250GSA goes to Asheville for service which is almost 200 miles away.
This is the one big problem, for me, especially on high-mileage rides, but the dealers themselves are typically awesome. That being said, the only reason I usually need a dealer is for maintenance beyond my skill, tools, or interest 😁. l I still ride & love BMW's.
  • Sales are obviously not good which is making for some good deals but will the R18s be around much longer? I know no one has a crystal ball but what is the thought in the community.
Sales actually appear to be quite good despite what some of the forum-worriers espouse.
Do your research (like you're doing here), and take a long test-ride or two... make sure the bike fits you ergonomically & spiritually. You can look up my posts to see MY experience & opinions. Best of luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Slow speed maneuverability is not good. Not going to sugar coat it. The "friction zone" is hard to manage and the back brake is tucked up under the cylinder making it hard to reach (for rear brake drag.)

Infotainment sucks....really only good for bluetooth.

Vibration is massive between about 75-80MPH.

Wind buffeting is horrendous for me at about 6-2.

Resale is abysmal.

Other than that, the bike is beautiful, comfortable, and fun to ride

Hi Dennis,
Your concerns are well founded because there are known issues with our beloved B /TC, the adaptive headlights being the biggest concern at the moment in my own humble opinion. I think finding one B that has been fitted with the standard headlights will be a bit difficult.
The bike itself is new to the market, so in terms of reliability none of us has had the time to test the bike extensively, however, one has to trust the reputation built by the brand ( that is one of the main reasons we choose brands) and together with the visible built quality of the bike, that should put your mind at ease a little bit.

She is heavy but carries her weight very well. She won’t be as nimble as a 50cc scooter but she is surprisingly agile for her size, more than I was initially thinking when I bought mine.
Slow speed manoeuvres are not impossible but you will need time to get used to her and see how far you can push the envelope before attempting to do any stunts in a supermarket car park.
The infotainment system is superb. I know there are fellow owners which had some connectivity issues when using the Nav facility. Personally I have never had any issues and my phone connects to the bike as easy as 123. One has to bear in mind that since the navigation relies on the phone signal, if you get into an area of poor coverage or none then bang goes the Nav. This is not the bike’s fault.

Music system paired with the Marshall speakers is awesome. I get crystal clear sound even when travelling at speed. The information side of things on the TFT is jam packed with all sorts of useful stuff.

Vibrations are there and real but nothing that never caused me concerns. I like it quite a bit, it adds character. 70/75 mls/h is where I normally cruise at and the revs are 2500 or thereabouts and I believe this is the sweet spot for her. Pusher higher, especially in Rock mode and she will vibrate a bit.
Network availability is not as wide as other manufacturers. In the UK I am lucky to have 3 within 50mls radius but this is an exception.
I believe that as the model gets more exposure and gain popularity the resale value should go up.

To recap, awesome bike. Not cheap to buy or maintain. If you can get a service package I strongly recommend you buy it, it will pay dividends straight away.

Take one for a serious test ride, see if you can get at least 2 hrs and ride the hell out of her.
I sold my M109R to get the B and there are no regrets whatsoever.

I can't add much to the info already listed BUT .... I've come from having 4 Harley bikes and tbh the R18 classic I have handles much better than them all at slow speed manouvering ... that was a surprise but it really is night and day different.

Go out and test ride one - you will be surprised

forget what theses naysayers say. Make up your own mind. Spend some test drive on the machine and draw your own conclusions.

I own a 2022 R18B and ignore the negative comments on this forum. To each his own. Good ride it and enjoy!

• I bought my "Alcina" (2022 R18 Transcontinental) sight unseen. Never did a test-ride, but knew I wanted one the second BMW teased the R18 model.
    • Never ridden a HD, so can't help you there. She's a low-slung big bike, but I've never found mine too too much to handle.
    • BMW uses their own "Connected" app via iOS or Android for GPS functions, but Marshall makes the speakers for the B and TC models. I wish I had the option for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as things like real-time accident reporting doesn't work via the BMW app. If these sorts of things are important to you, you'll find yourself simply mounting your phone to your handlebars and resorting to using the phone as the GPS system.
    • It's a boxer engine without a counterbalance (like the Honda Goldwings). The typical BMW boxer vibration that's inherent through all their boxer bikes is more pronounced here with the 1802cc engine. However, I personally like it, as I feel it gives Alcina "character". If I wanted a sewing machine, I would have bought a Singer ;)
  • I've read about issues with the adaptive headlight and dealers unable to get parts. Is that sorted out? Any other known trouble areas.
    • Yes, it's an issue it seems mainly with the B and TC models. I've been lucky enough to avoid it...thus far. But, if it DOES break, I want it to break under warranty. Impacted R18 owners have been also filing reports with the NHTSA, which will hopefully force a safety recall with enough complaints.
    • 🤷‍♂️
    • This is one of the biggest lies being spread around. The R18 sales figures are on-par with what BMW is expecting for it, which is about 8k units per year. To put into perspective, the Rnine-T averages around 10k unit sales per year, per BMW shareholder Q1 2023 reports. My own opinion on why aggressive sales are going on right now with the R18 is not the bike itself, but the worldwide economy as a whole, and that BMW has been on a shareholder value binge as of late. From last year to this, their stock price has jumped nearly $10USD (it's price is now settling down), no doubt juiced by aggressive sales on the R18 and other bikes/cars as a whole. In a macro sense, BMW has defied a downturned market sentiment, growing in value when other companies have lost value. Some people saw the low interest payments, etc., on the R18's as an indicator the bike wasn't doing well? Nope! I've been watching this from a shareholder/investor point of view as a typical business practice when quick gains want to get made.

But, let's say I'm 100% wrong, and BMW cancel's the R18 line tomorrow. That doesn't mean that the R18's in the wild right now suddenly stop running. They are AMAZING works of art and, like the R1200c before it, the R18 will have a passionate following for decades to come.
    • I can't make your decision for you. But, if you do decide to buy one, it's cheaper to buy a loaded Transcontinental model and strip it down naked, than to buy a naked and buy/build the parts up to a Transcontinental. Beemer parts do not come cheap!
Mike

• This is one of the biggest lies being spread around. The R18 sales figures are on-par with what BMW is expecting for it, which is about 8k units per year. To put into perspective, the Rnine-T averages around 10k unit sales per year, per BMW shareholder Q1 2023 reports. My own opinion on why aggressive sales are going on right now with the R18 is not the bike itself, but the worldwide economy as a whole, and that BMW has been on a shareholder value binge as of late. From last year to this, their stock price has jumped nearly $10USD (it's price is now settling down), no doubt juiced by aggressive sales on the R18 and other bikes/cars as a whole. In a macro sense, BMW has defied a downturned market sentiment, growing in value when other companies have lost value. Some people saw the low interest payments, etc., on the R18's as an indicator the bike wasn't doing well? Nope! I've been watching this from a shareholder/investor point of view as a typical business practice when quick gains want to get made.

But, let's say I'm 100% wrong, and BMW cancel's the R18 line tomorrow. That doesn't mean that the R18's in the wild right now suddenly stop running. They are AMAZING works of art and, like the R1200c before it, the R18 will have a passionate following for decades to come.
I could not have put it any better myself. 👊👊👊

• I bought my "Alcina" (2022 R18 Transcontinental) sight unseen. Never did a test-ride, but knew I wanted one the second BMW teased the R18 model.
    • Never ridden a HD, so can't help you there. She's a low-slung big bike, but I've never found mine too too much to handle.
    • BMW uses their own "Connected" app via iOS or Android for GPS functions, but Marshall makes the speakers for the B and TC models. I wish I had the option for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as things like real-time accident reporting doesn't work via the BMW app. If these sorts of things are important to you, you'll find yourself simply mounting your phone to your handlebars and resorting to using the phone as the GPS system.
    • It's a boxer engine without a counterbalance (like the Honda Goldwings). The typical BMW boxer vibration that's inherent through all their boxer bikes is more pronounced here with the 1802cc engine. However, I personally like it, as I feel it gives Alcina "character". If I wanted a sewing machine, I would have bought a Singer ;)
    • Yes, it's an issue it seems mainly with the B and TC models. I've been lucky enough to avoid it...thus far. But, if it DOES break, I want it to break under warranty. Impacted R18 owners have been also filing reports with the NHTSA, which will hopefully force a safety recall with enough complaints.
    • 🤷‍♂️

• I can't make your decision for you. But, if you do decide to buy one, it's cheaper to buy a loaded Transcontinental model and strip it down naked, than to buy a naked and buy/build the parts up to a Transcontinental. Beemer parts do not come cheap!
Mike
Best reply yet, an excellent summation.

Hey Lowbar, I'd be interested in buying your Goldwing if you plan to sell or trade it for the R18B.

Slow speed maneuverability is not good. Not going to sugar coat it. The "friction zone" is hard to manage and the back brake is tucked up under the cylinder making it hard to reach (for rear brake drag.)

Infotainment sucks....really only good for bluetooth.

Vibration is massive between about 75-80MPH.
Interesting. My Classic is smooth as glass precisely within 75-80 mph range
Wind buffeting is horrendous for me at about 6-2.

Resale is abysmal.

Other than that, the bike is beautiful, comfortable, and fun to ride

I absolutely love my 2022 R18 B; granted, I did adopt some of the wind management attributes from the Transcontinental (TC) model in order to gain additional wind protection or extra cooling depending on the time of year we're riding. I purchased it with the TFT screen protector, OEM Engine Protection Bar and the rear case inner travel bags. My Adaptive Headlight did also experience the failure; however, the dealership did replace it under warranty which did take some time in order to get the part from Germany.

Added the following TC parts:

TC Fairing Mounted Winglets
TC Lower Leg Wind Protection (mounts to OEM Engine Protection Bar)
TC Auxiliary Lights, Directionals and Mounting Bracket
TC Passenger Floorboards
Jekly & Hyde Exhaust System
ROCTANE Filler Panels (Between Cases & Rear Fender)

Screenshot_20231101-111402.pngScreenshot_20231101-111032.png

forget what theses naysayers say. Make up your own mind. Spend some test drive on the machine and draw your own conclusions.

I own a 2022 R18B and ignore the negative comments on this forum. To each his own. Good ride it and enjoy!
I agree entirely. I bought my 2023 R 18 classic as soon as I sat on it. This is my sixth BMW after A 60s Triumph which broke constantly in high school.
For the vertically challenged (5'4" now at 71), It is a dream. Sales promotions simply made it sweeter. I took off pinion seat for now and bought both the tank and pinion
racks made by Wunderlich. I find the handling quite nice except for maneuvers like turning at an almost stop. The extra length of the bike takes more care and space.
I have put 4,000 miles on ( I know that's not tons but we have had serious heat/humidity some and 5 of 21 weekends dry.

I absolutely LOVE the bike. Previous bikes in order: 71 r60/5, 73 r90/5, 84 K100, 71 r60/5, 09 R1200RT, 2023 R 18 classic.

I absolutely love my 2022 R18 B; granted, I did adopt some of the wind management attributes from the Transcontinental (TC) model in order to gain additional wind protection or extra cooling depending on the time of year we're riding. I purchased it with the TFT screen protector, OEM Engine Protection Bar and the rear case inner travel bags. My Adaptive Headlight did also experience the failure; however, the dealership did replace it under warranty which did take some time in order to get the part from Germany.

Added the following TC parts:

TC Fairing Mounted Winglets
TC Lower Leg Wind Protection (mounts to OEM Engine Protection Bar)
TC Auxiliary Lights, Directionals and Mounting Bracket
TC Passenger Floorboards
Jekly & Hyde Exhaust System
ROCTANE Filler Panels (Between Cases & Rear Fender)

Dennis, I also live in Central Georgia, and bought my R18B at Extreme Motorcycle in Columbus and they will be doing my service work.
I went there to look at the Roctane and rode the Bagger home. I also own a 2014 Honda Valkyrie , a 2017 Suzuki M109 BOSS and a 2003 BMW R1200CL.
At first the weight of the Bagger was somewhat unsettleing, and none of my other bikes are light. But i take my time and respect the weight . Once you get rolling, the bike handles surprisingly well. Vibration? Yes, if you ride the bike spirited , which is how I ride all my bikes, it will vibrate at certain rpms. But if you quickshift and keep rpms down around 2500 , it is smoooooooth. I think i have addressed most of your concerns. Some have said they wished they had just went ahead and got the Transcontinental . I am one of them. A taller windshield is my next mod, along with a taller seat . I like the look of the Bagger but am now modifying it to be more comfortable for the long trips. I get lots of thumbs up on this bike, but the best thing that has happened so far was a guy pulled up next to me in his pick up truck and hollers nice Harley...!!! I laughed and pointed at the badge on the tank and he exclaimed, ohh i see it now... But the awesome thing was that his wife or girlfriend was looking over his shoulder at my bike and had a huge smile and a big thumbs up. Its cool to be different..!!!SANDRA.jpg

I like that color SandraBlue. The one I am looking at is the same with white pinstriping. The TC is a good deal but nah, I like the bagger. The TC windshield is a possibility. I'm still not decided. I hadn't considered keeping the Honda and adding the Beemer, but that is a possibility.

Back