R 18 Classic or R 18 B Or R 18 Transcontinental

Berardi3

Hello Everyone I currently Have a 2021 R18 Classic although nice I am not really crazy about it. Had a test ride last week with a Bagger and loved it really liked the ride and the music suspension and so on I really want to trade my bike do I go for the Bagger or bite the Bullet and get the TC I want to do more longer distance trips as well as commuting what would you do and why?

Is the R18 your only bike?
Do you have a Touring Bike?
Do you plan on touring?
Do you ride 2-up?
Will you mind paying $2-3K more for what is basically better sound system, seat, winglets, windscreen, engine guards and a top box?
Will you mind the extra 50 or so pounds it adds over the bagger?

I have a Touring bike, I don't ride 2-up and figured I'd add a soft bag on the pillion area if I needed more storage for a trip so I went bagger.

Once I purchase for $950, the Transcontinental seat which is a bit thicker and still retains the OEM heat function and add the $500 taller windscreen and the $500 OEM engine bars, I could have just bought a bagger and got a top box and sound system for free. But I don't really need that extra stuff so I'm happy with the bagger.

Hello Everyone I currently Have a 2021 R18 Classic although nice I am not really crazy about it. Had a test ride last week with a Bagger and loved it really liked the ride and the music suspension and so on I really want to trade my bike do I go for the Bagger or bite the Bullet and get the TC I want to do more longer distance trips as well as commuting what would you do and why?
Hello,
I recently bought a Transcontinental. I got it because I don't like the fuss of high winds in my face. Some say the TC is a heavy bike but that is only true if you get careless and lean it. I keep my TC vertical and it isn't heavy ever really.
I will say that in low speed turning, you have to counter steer a bit as that is the only time you notice the weight. An interesting fact of this bike is that it has a low center of gravity and is remarkably nimble. I was not expecting this plus feature. I am saying this because I had an HD RoadGlide that was not nimble.
I have put in an order for a backrest from Russel Day-long seats and also am in the process of replacing the stock floorboards with long ones so I can have my feet further forward.

As a Classic owner, I'm curious what you don't like about it. It isn't perfect of the showroom floor but with a few minor adjustments, upgrades and mods, mine is exactly what I need and want, a medium range touring/knock around the metro cruiser and commuter. Was the B not available when you purchased your Classic?

Going from a Classic to a TC is a major jump and a very different experience. I'm personally not a fan of fork mounted bat wing fairings, hence my love for the Road Glide and it's stability. Lastly, be realistic on how many longer distance trips you'll make over the course of ownership. I bought the Road Glide thinking, "can't wait to get out on the road!" Did 1-2 trips per year with the longest being 500mi. The B might be the better option and FWIW I cant see the TC as a daily commuter. The B? Maybe. The Classic? Most definitely. Whatever you end up with, be safe.

I opted for the TC over the C or B, the suspension over the C, and the lights front and on top-case over the B. Passenger accommodations were not a prime requirement for me but the sound system, engine guards, windshield, top-case, winglets, and the air foils won me over. Now it's got around 6,000 miles on it, and really starting to break in, finding its voice and its power.

I would suggest performance requirements could be a factor too, as the C and B would be noticeably more responsive due to reduced weight, and steering geometry and front wheel on the C afford distinct handling characteristics. I do also have a FE Base model, which like the C is a completely different experience than the B or the TC. :D

Last edited:
Now that I am thinking about it maybe the B would be better suited for me I do like the ride feel better as the suspension is more compliant
Also the stereo is a bonus And honestly don’t know how many long trips I will take the bagger would be easier to maneuver around the garage as opposed to the continental

Last edited:
I rarely used the sound system on my Road Glide but in truth, it was an older (2008) model. I use a Freecom1+ on a modular Scorpion helmet that provides me music, allows to to see calls and turn by turn directions. That's about all I need as I really enjoy the simplicity of the single gauge. I think the 16" tire on the Classic makes for a much smoother ride on the highway. Sounds like you've settled into the B for some good reasons. You should be able to find a demo for under $20k. Best of luck.

As a Classic owner, I'm curious what you don't like about it. It isn't perfect of the showroom floor but with a few minor adjustments, upgrades and mods, mine is exactly what I need and want, a medium range touring/knock around the metro cruiser and commuter. Was the B not available when you purchased your Classic?

Going from a Classic to a TC is a major jump and a very different experience. I'm personally not a fan of fork mounted bat wing fairings, hence my love for the Road Glide and it's stability. Lastly, be realistic on how many longer distance trips you'll make over the course of ownership. I bought the Road Glide thinking, "can't wait to get out on the road!" Did 1-2 trips per year with the longest being 500mi. The B might be the better option and FWIW I cant see the TC as a daily commuter. The B? Maybe. The Classic? Most definitely. Whatever you end up with, be safe.
i like the classic but Rode the 18 B and it is such a better ride !!!

For what it’s worth, the TC has a very well engineered suspension.
It isn’t stiff like the Harley touring bikes. The RoadGlide is a great bike but the suspension is in fact stiff.

Back