Question about the different seats

PistolPeteSTL

So my bike came with the "Tall Comfort" seat. According to what I have read, that increases the seat height to 28" from 27.2", so it goes to figure it has an extra .8" of padding. I have read the BMW Custom Solo Seat drops that even lower than stock, to 26.8".

How does the Tall Comfort seat compare to the BMW Day Rider seat as far as thickness and width? The Weekender? The Cross Country? In pictures the Cross Country looks wider but other than that it is hard to tell the difference between each of them.

My sweetie has expressed an interest in riding the R18 sometimes and at 5' tall she notices the difference between the stock seat and the Tall Comfort seat. So I plan to pick up another seat that is either lower for her to use or another seat for me to use and modify my stock Tall seat to fit her better or trade it with someone who has a stock or solo seat.

Any experience with the different seats is helpful! Even the tall seat feels really low to me since I am used to taller bikes, but my sweetie is a shorty and every little bit helps.

So my bike came with the "Tall Comfort" seat. According to what I have read, that increases the seat height to 28" from 27.2", so it goes to figure it has an extra .8" of padding. I have read the BMW Custom Solo Seat drops that even lower than stock, to 26.8".

How does the Tall Comfort seat compare to the BMW Day Rider seat as far as thickness and width? The Weekender? The Cross Country? In pictures the Cross Country looks wider but other than that it is hard to tell the difference between each of them.

My sweetie has expressed an interest in riding the R18 sometimes and at 5' tall she notices the difference between the stock seat and the Tall Comfort seat. So I plan to pick up another seat that is either lower for her to use or another seat for me to use and modify my stock Tall seat to fit her better or trade it with someone who has a stock or solo seat.

Any experience with the different seats is helpful! Even the tall seat feels really low to me since I am used to taller bikes, but my sweetie is a shorty and every little bit helps.
Hey Pete…I’ll be able to tell you this weekend. I own a 21/FE. Did not like the stock seat, and picked up the Tall Seat on eBay shipped for $249. So far, huge improvement. That said, the dealer ordered me a Brown DayRider at cost that arrived today. I’ll shoot some pics of all three, and will do the same for the pillion. Will provide some “seat of the pants” comparison. The Day Rider arrived at the dealer in 3 days, no shipping. Progress..

My 21/FE original seat was slightly narrower and sat tiny bit lower than the subtly more cushioned day rider I put on there. I also got the day rider backrest which pushed me a bit closer to the tank. The forward seating position might be more comfortable for the lady. I don’t mind it as I’m somewhat vertically challenged.

Hey Pete…I’ll be able to tell you this weekend. I own a 21/FE. Did not like the stock seat, and picked up the Tall Seat on eBay shipped for $249. So far, huge improvement. That said, the dealer ordered me a Brown DayRider at cost that arrived today. I’ll shoot some pics of all three, and will do the same for the pillion. Will provide some “seat of the pants” comparison. The Day Rider arrived at the dealer in 3 days, no shipping. Progress..
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Thanks! I really appreciate that.
Here is the rundown Pete: On the left is the ”Tall Seat” (Embroidered vs BMW Badge FE on the right.) Looking at the seats turned over, the left is the tall seat if you want to see part numbers. The right is the Original First Edition. The passenger seat fits fine with either. I felt the tall seat (bought on ebay for $200 + Shipping,) was far more comfortable despite not looking much taller or firm. No tail bone pain with the tall seat. A better seat IMHO.

Mustang Day Rider: I was tough on my dealer for not having their “A game” for accessories. They agreed to Cost + Tax for accessories... My first order was the Day Rider. I paid $395 + Tax For Brown. The seat was here in three business days, and included Rider/Pillion & Strap. The seat is demonstrably heavier and overbuilt relative to the stock seat. The Pillion seat is much thicker. Fit wise, plan on keeping the overbuilt Mustang strap on the Dayrider. The engineering to fit the Pillion seat is different than the factory. The factory Pillion is a better design, but the Mustang is taller and as firm. I rode a full tank of gas and am satisfied with the Day Rider. The brown looks great with the FE Vintage Roundels.

Next up: BMW Passenger Back Rest and DK Cylinder Covers.

Attachments

• 2BFAB02B-713D-496E-A42F-2A1198AA8876.jpeg
    2BFAB02B-713D-496E-A42F-2A1198AA8876.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 9E6A56FA-C7B3-459D-9D7C-963B179DDDC2.jpeg
    9E6A56FA-C7B3-459D-9D7C-963B179DDDC2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
  • E3AA4159-1EC0-41F1-AB4B-D92F1FF726A8.jpeg
    E3AA4159-1EC0-41F1-AB4B-D92F1FF726A8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
Thanks for the pictures! That really helps.
No problem. I rode 50 miles round trip trip to work remote today. The pics show the seat without the Strap. I prefer the Day Rider with the strap and how that’s anchored, and have permanently installed the passenger strap. I will say that the Stock “Tall”
Seat (may be the same as Stock “Classic”,) is a solid option if you can find take off seats on eBay. I’m sold on the day rider and now have about 200 miles…5 Star Scale
Stock FE: 2 Stars
Tall BMW: 3.5 Stars
Day Rider: 4.75 Stars

No problem. I rode 50 miles round trip trip to work remote today. The pics show the seat without the Strap. I prefer the Day Rider with the strap and how that’s anchored, and have permanently installed the passenger strap. I will say that the Stock “Tall”
Seat (may be the same as Stock “Classic”,) is a solid option if you can find take off seats on eBay. I’m sold on the day rider and now have about 200 miles…5 Star Scale
Stock FE: 2 Stars
Tall BMW: 3.5 Stars
Day Rider: 4.75 Stars

Attachments

• 866E61DA-336A-401F-B02E-914BF815BAD5.jpeg
    866E61DA-336A-401F-B02E-914BF815BAD5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
Thanks for the extra picture and the comfort ratings. That really helps. You rule!

I ordered a stock seat from ebay and when I get it I'm going to have a local shop work it over with gel and re-shape to try to keep it as low as possible and comfy for my sweetie. She took a spin in a parking lot with the tall seat and she can only get the balls of her feet down. For a bike of this weight she wants a little more foot on the ground.

Thanks again! That brown seat looks great, btw.

Thanks for the extra picture and the comfort ratings. That really helps. You rule!

I ordered a stock seat from ebay and when I get it I'm going to have a local shop work it over with gel and re-shape to try to keep it as low as possible and comfy for my sweetie. She took a spin in a parking lot with the tall seat and she can only get the balls of her feet down. For a bike of this weight she wants a little more foot on the ground.

Thanks again! That brown seat looks great, btw.
I’m ordering the brown passenger backrest.

Back