Putting away for winter

Alan neill

Site Supporter
Hi what do you all think about putting the bike away for winter on the kern stabi lift system was wondering with bike hanging wheels of ground if it would damage shock absorbers suppose you could let it down every month

I would lift the bike high enough so that the bulk weight is lifted from the tyres but not completely of the ground for a longer period of time to avoid any issues with the suspension. Also I would put some sort of fuel stabiliser to avoid separation inside the tank and condensation issues caused by ethanol. If you want REALLY want to go the extra mile then remove the spark plugs and pour a tiny bit of new oil down the cylinders and crank the engine without the plugs in to coat the cylinders walls with this small amount of oil and prevent rust and then place the plugs back, but this is really going the extra mile if you have the time and can be bothered. I do this on my boat over winter.

Not sure what country you are in but I would also brim the petrol tank to keep the air gap as small as possible ( to discourage condensation) and do your last fill with the lowest ethanol content you can find. In the UK we have Super Unleaded that should be at most 5% Ethanol, i read something fairly recently and from memory I think it’s Esso or BP that’s been tested to be about 3%. If your garage is dry and warm that’s a bonus, if not I would spray a corrosion inhibitor liberally over the chrome and more vulnerable parts too.

Also be sure to put it on a good battery tender... I do full tank (preferably non-ethanol and add Marine Stabil or Startron) plus battery tenders for all my bikes, ATVs and snowmobiles. I put the bikes/ATVs in unheated garage/shed storage the end of October and don't start them until mid-May when I get back to Maine. Been doing it like that for years with zero problems... (y)

Back