Prospective owner for the base edition...

Folo

Greetings from Miami!

Up front I must clarify I have not gotten the chance to ride any of the R18 variants as of late as I don't want to spoil myself while I still have a couple years to pay current bike off (Ducati Multi Enduro). But I will also admit the R18, especially the one with the exposed forks, has left me wanting to go for it. I keep hearing the B and TC versions ride better than the standard, is this a huge difference or something that vloggers *Have* to point out? I'd love to go for a simple minimalist one I can outfit for touring on a whim and don't really like the giant fairing.. For context, I enjoyed carbureted harley road kings prior and detest bikes like the street glide. I'd appreciate feedback on this sort of thinking and or maybe otherwise be convinced to try the baggers regardless.

Thanks!

I am well aware I have made myself the rope in a tug-of-war between all the different versions lol, hopefully my prior riding preferences would help sort things out!

Hello! Welcome to the Forums!

I have recently went from a Base model to a Transcontinental.
I loved owning and looking at the base model. It still turns my head and makes my heart skip a beat whenever I see one. It's so gorgeous. Feelings evoked by the bike when I am on it, I have not gotten from any other bike. These feelings did not diminish for me over the course more than a year and a half of ownership. I think you'll absolutely love it. I also think it would be a great companion to your Multistrada.

I am riding the Transcontinental more than I was riding the base model. It's easier and more comfortable to ride. But I don't get the exact same set of emotions from the ride. My other bikes are not great for long distance riding, particularly touring/highway unlike your Multi (although being an Enduro, it probably has a shorter windscreen). TC better suits my garage at the moment. I am thoroughly enjoying the TC but I feel that there will come a time when I will want to replicate the feeling I got from riding the base model. I may pick up another in the distant future or look for something that will do the same.

Hope my experience gives you some insight!

My father (who traded in his 1250r for a k1600 just this weekend) said I should just have two bikes since I seem to have an on/off switch for what I do. The multi enduro was my best way to get into something beyond a harley at the time but should have waited for an S model or something highway focused... The enduro is geared down low so its amazing overall it just doesn't have *everything* I'm asking for even if it is nit picking. That being said, the base R18 has me smitten in ways I didn't expect and hits my aviation retro vibes with the big engine. I had it in my head to get the base and throw on a screen and luggage rack to call it a day since post-marriage I think the only way I'll get a big tour out of my bikes is if I'm escaping LOL.

Should add I'm almost 6'3'' with a 33-34'' inseam and so far nothing short of the cross country seat would do regardless of the model.

My 2 cents as they say. The R18 is going to be a completely different experience to your Ducati. Seriously. The only thing in common is they both have two wheels. It’s going to depend what you want from your bike and what you want it for. It’s not a quick bike from A to B because of its size, weight, minimal suspension travel, super low stance BUT it has charm that’s off the scale in other ways. Just s-l-o-w t-h-i-n-g-s d-o-w-n. The engine is a very low revving monster and short shifting is extremely satisfying. I already knew I wanted one so any niggles or compromises didn’t really matter, a bit like a mother loves her ugly kid even more. You just know. I would choose the model that gives you the “wow that’s the one” feeling and demo one to see what you think to it. It won’t appeal to everyone.

If u can live with bags always on the Classic…thu they can be remove, just don”t how much time that takes…then that ‘could’ be a good trim. Likewise don’t know how she looks with screen removed exposing just the front fairing mount hardware. Ans yes, the base and Classic are limited to 3.5” rear suspension travel. If the roads you travel on are not smooth then maybe that will ‘impact’ your ride quality. Many it seems on this forum felt the Classic was the best como for look and function.

Like others say, demo test ride all of them and you will know :)

If u can live with bags always on the Classic…thu they can be remove, just don”t how much time that takes…then that ‘could’ be a good trim. Likewise don’t know how she looks with screen removed exposing just the front fairing mount hardware. Ans yes, the base and Classic are limited to 3.5” rear suspension travel. If the roads you travel on are not smooth then maybe that will ‘impact’ your ride quality. Many it seems on this forum felt the Classic was the best como for look and function.

Like others say, demo test ride all of them and you will know :)
So that's part of what gets me.. did they short change the rideability of the lower trims to give people incentive to go for the bagger? Depends on how you see it, I suppose.

They created the R18 to pay Homage to the R5 I believe it was called maybe year 1936. In doing so, one might feel, BMW elected to do ‘form over function’ (aka look over ride ability).

Then again, HD has the soft tail and Indian the entry v-twin that likewise has (in my book) a hard rear suspension due to frame design trying to look old school. Plus some/many forum members ‘feel’ the base suspension is not an issue for them (though thinking 95% change the base seat for something better).

Many owners on the forum love their R18 base model, it is pure bike in the sense it has no fairing, and no extra tech do dads (aka 10”ish TFT screen) plus has the look wanted. Like all R18 models it has the engine they all share. Then again, it seems, some R18 owners are ‘jumping’ ship (just wanted to say jumping) and selling/trading in their R18 rides for a r18 bagger or TC model. They love the engine, just want more that those other two trims offer.

I scored, what to me was a deal, on a left over 2021 R18FE with cruise control no less. Thinking it is harder to find that model with cruise control as it was not added to the base R18 until later in the production run on the 2021 models. Paid about $11.3k once all said and done,. Got the bmw .9 % finance rate, bmw makes first 6 payments and 90 day no payments. I did pay about a good $600 extra just to get that darn cruise control since BMW does not discount bikes with it as much.

Last, I just read BMW Sole heated seat’s wire has no where it can be plugged in on the base R18 bike. So yes, in that way, bmw to me does want to push buyers up the R18 trim level change. Then again, maybe bmw was not not thinking when they came out with that seat (aka it came out after the base R18 was designed/built).

Attachments

• FA14FBDA-C9B9-49C2-B8BE-2A99007DBC12.png
    FA14FBDA-C9B9-49C2-B8BE-2A99007DBC12.png
    10 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
$11.3k is a steal, I'd say.. local dealer has a 2022 FE for $14.7k. Total stunner, but haven't ridden it yet... I'd be amused if I couldn't stand it after 10 minutes lol the r1250r was already pretty bad on my knees after a half hour.

Well, as i have learned and seem to forget. Sometimes it is better to pay alittle extra to get the bike local then out of state (in my case). If you like the boxer engine maybe try the R1250rt just for the heck of it. It should offer lots of comfort else maybe even a K1600.

Reason I keep leaning into the base R18s is because I don't want the big tft screens lol. Had a couple reviews saying the screen wasn't as intuitive and buggy vs the k1600. Dunno how true that is though in daily use.

Well, look at it this way. If you get an R18 with the TFT you 'may' at least have something to bitch about should the engine remain rock solid (hell bmw even made the trans on the R18 smooth)...he says as he looks up to the sky to see if the clouds parted :)

I am into the whole headlight turning into the curves opiton on certain bmw models so there is that and the R18 has it (maybe all base R18s do...not 100% certain on that point). Also, as you may know, not all base R18 come with the reverse option which I would recommend since it is better not to need it then not have it and want to use it in my book.

Yeah initially I was really liking the urban GS but then the r1250r reminded me that was a no-go.. even now on the multi I sometimes feel like getting lower peg setups but the ride keeps me distracted lol.

@motoring do you even own an R18 yet. 😂 😂
emailed dealer the other day asking about transport down my way. need to call, they did not email me back yet. Though come on...demo riding counts in my book to offer an option and years of owning and riding boxer engines gave me a 'pass' to join the club.
Besides, I signed the bmw papers, I got the bike and am paying for it...just not riding it yet. Ideally it would arrive at the bmwra rally site next month.

Last edited:
Oh man that remind me of my dads road king.. its kind of the look I'm going for. And how does the classic handle in more spirited riding? got the 16" wheels no? so would be less clearance. Wish I can throw bigger wheels non-spoked on a classic.

The Classic does seem to be the one that gives you a lot for the $. Course us Pure owners, well me, so like the pen strip look on the naked rear fender. Which u can get by taking off the bags :) thu they don’t lock :(

Plus u get floor boards and heal/tow shifter and Cruise control. And spot lights. Dam I should have got that one lol

Last edited:
Back