Possible Switch From Indian Chief Vintage to 2022 BMW R18 B

I may make a switch from the Indian Chief Vintage to a 2022 BMW R18 B. Has anyone make the switch from a V-twin to the BMW R18 B?? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have never had an Indian before so I cannot comment on ride quality and other aspects compared to the R18, however, apart from one mono cylinder I had when I was wearing nappies, all the other bikes I have ever had has been V-Twins.

I only notice very small differences but then again, they are very different bikes.

My previous bike for 15 years was a M109R which was like a smooth magic carpet ride whilst retaining the ability to growl like a caged bear after being poked in the a** with a sharp needle.

Pulled like a freight train without braking a sweat and would jump to warp 2 if needed effortlessly.

The R18-B in my case.
Start up has a nostalgic pull to the left and an uneven mild shake in neutral that adds character like no other bike I have experienced before.
Because the boxer configuration there is a bit of more vibration when the engine is propelling the bike forward but I like it quite a bit because it adds more character to the bike and ride and give you the feeling you are riding a classic machine, which in the end, this is the point of owning a retro looking bike. Having said that, I have noticed that between 2400 and 2900 rpm the engine is almost vibration free in 6th gear which is where I normally cruise on motorways etc.

I am sure in terms of pulling power and speed the M109R wins by a mile, but then again, you don’t buy a R18 to ride it like you stole it, you ride it to enjoy the pleasure of a civilised ride and nostalgia with the occasional switch to Rock mode to have a bit of fun.

Do I regret parting away from the M109R? Yes but purely because I loved that bike since I first saw it but don’t have enough room in my garage for two bikes.

Do I regret buying the R18B? Errrrr, no. I let go of the M109R, didn’t I?
The R18B puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, for crying out loud, I find myself running out of silly things indoors so that I have the excuse to ride her to the supermarket.

If I knew the things I know today about the bike when I purchased her, I would not have changed one single thing and pull the trigger again.

Take one for a ride, they are not cheap, and make sure you are absolutely happy with everything. It will be alien at first because it is way different to any other bike out there, ie, mid controls riding position , gear shifter, etc, but trust me, you will get so used to it in no time, you will not believe it.

I have never had an Indian before so I cannot comment on ride quality and other aspects compared to the R18, however, apart from one mono cylinder I had when I was wearing nappies, all the other bikes I have ever had has been V-Twins.

I only notice very small differences but then again, they are very different bikes.

My previous bike for 15 years was a M109R which was like a smooth magic carpet ride whilst retaining the ability to growl like a caged bear after being poked in the a** with a sharp needle.

Pulled like a freight train without braking a sweat and would jump to warp 2 if needed effortlessly.

The R18-B in my case.
Start up has a nostalgic pull to the left and an uneven mild shake in neutral that adds character like no other bike I have experienced before.
Because the boxer configuration there is a bit of more vibration when the engine is propelling the bike forward but I like it quite a bit because it adds more character to the bike and ride and give you the feeling you are riding a classic machine, which in the end, this is the point of owning a retro looking bike. Having said that, I have noticed that between 2400 and 2900 rpm the engine is almost vibration free in 6th gear which is where I normally cruise on motorways etc.

I am sure in terms of pulling power and speed the M109R wins by a mile, but then again, you don’t buy a R18 to ride it like you stole it, you ride it to enjoy the pleasure of a civilised ride and nostalgia with the occasional switch to Rock mode to have a bit of fun.

Do I regret parting away from the M109R? Yes but purely because I loved that bike since I first saw it but don’t have enough room in my garage for two bikes.

Do I regret buying the R18B? Errrrr, no. I let go of the M109R, didn’t I?
The R18B puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, for crying out loud, I find myself running out of silly things indoors so that I have the excuse to ride her to the supermarket.

If I knew the things I know today about the bike when I purchased her, I would not have changed one single thing and pull the trigger again.

Take one for a ride, they are not cheap, and make sure you are absolutely happy with everything. It will be alien at first because it is way different to any other bike out there, ie, mid controls riding position , gear shifter, etc, but trust me, you will get so used to it in no time, you will not believe it.
Thank you for your response. I will be taking a test ride hopefully this week. How is the resale value on the R18B

Thank you for your response. I will be taking a test ride hopefully this week. How is the resale value on the R18B
Like all variants it’s going to depend where you live, i.e. country, and then what else is around to compete if/when you ever come to sell. There’s two quite clear camps here, one doesn’t care much for resale values and just enjoys the bike and makes it their own, the other does care more and it bothers them that they’ve lost a lot of money (on paper at the very least) but unfortunately in reality, it is what it is. The bike market is brutal. A R18B is quite a rare bike, so that’s in its favour.

Personally I think/hope the used values will settle and bolster as there’s more warmth towards the bikes now that things have settled down. It’s a marmite bike, some love it, some don’t. I love mine, no regrets.

Like all variants it’s going to depend where you live, i.e. country, and then what else is around to compete if/when you ever come to sell. There’s two quite clear camps here, one doesn’t care much for resale values and just enjoys the bike and makes it their own, the other does care more and it bothers them that they’ve lost a lot of money (on paper at the very least) but unfortunately in reality, it is what it is. The bike market is brutal. A R18B is quite a rare bike, so that’s in its favour.

Personally I think/hope the used values will settle and bolster as there’s more warmth towards the bikes now that things have settled down. It’s a marmite bike, some love it, some don’t. I love mine, no regrets.
Thanks Rufus
I final concern how is the maintenance & any concerns I am looking at a 2022 BMW R18 B with 3,500 miles

Thanks Rufus
I final concern how is the maintenance & any concerns I am looking at a 2022 BMW R18 B with 3,500 miles
Again, re maintenance it’s a location thing. In the USA dealers seem to want to rinse owners with hefty service costs, (I think it’s because the bikes are so cheap to buy in the first place they want the money back in another way 🤷‍♂️), anyhow it pays to ring around dealers & compare if you can. I’m in the UK and as far as I can tell you it’s much better. I paid £154 for 1st service all in and next years service was quoted around £270 which I think is reasonable for a main dealer. Your next service will be 6000 miles, why not ask them to throw in a free service or failing that say you‘ll pay for parts but they give free labour? Sure that deal could be done 👍

Many owners service themselves and there’s more and more experience being shared all the time on the forum so if you feel confident get the spanners out and do some minor stuff yourself. You could also consider a BMW service plan which many have bought upon getting their bike, that’s good IMHO and if you know you’re likely to keep the bike a good investment because prices are all fixed. No financial shocks.

The bikes are pretty economical to run, around 50mpg, tax is what you’d expect and the warranty should give decent cover incase anything crops up in the first year or two of ownership. All being well by that point any ‘bugs’ in the machine will have shown up long before then.

Go enjoy your test ride, these are awesome bikes, they do have quirks but if you like the looks and the money works out go for it. This is a great forum, unlike some you won’t be shouted down for asking questions. We’ve all been R18 newbies once…..

I've had a number of V-Twins over the years, including one Indian, although that was a Scout, which is very different from the Chief / Chieftain line of bikes. Right now I have an R18 and a Harley Low Rider with the Milwaukee 8. Here is how I contrast between them:

The R18 runs cool- it may be the coolest running bike I've ever owned. There is a lot less engine heat than any full size V-Twin I've ridden. I've had Harleys that I didn't want to ride in traffic in the summer because of how much it cooked my leg. The R18 is a real joy in this way.

On the other side of performance, my R18 has delivered the worst gas mileage of any cruiser I've had. In general I expect 42-45 mpg on a full size cruiser based on the one's I've owned, my R18 runs 39 mpg. Combined with the small tank it really cuts into the range.

Handling is average for a cruiser, a little tighter than some. Service is stupid expensive, but Indian is the same way if you pay the dealer for it. The difference is if you don't take it to the dealer for service you get a bright orange triangle on the dash, which is annoying for people who DIY.

Factory parts are expensive, even compared to factory Indian and Harley. My R18 was hit and knocked over while parked, the tank wasn't damaged and the repair estimate was almost $10k for entirely cosmetic damage.

One of the biggest upsides? It is put together really well and easy to work on. The parts quality is higher than HD or Indian. The chromed steel is done well, the parts line up very well and the thing is just gorgeous. Unlike a V-Twin, the engine looks great to the rider even when you are riding, you can just glance down and see those big jugs.

Good luck in your decision! There are lots of great choices in full size cruisers today.

I've had a number of V-Twins over the years, including one Indian, although that was a Scout, which is very different from the Chief / Chieftain line of bikes. Right now I have an R18 and a Harley Low Rider with the Milwaukee 8. Here is how I contrast between them:

The R18 runs cool- it may be the coolest running bike I've ever owned. There is a lot less engine heat than any full size V-Twin I've ridden. I've had Harleys that I didn't want to ride in traffic in the summer because of how much it cooked my leg. The R18 is a real joy in this way.

On the other side of performance, my R18 has delivered the worst gas mileage of any cruiser I've had. In general I expect 42-45 mpg on a full size cruiser based on the one's I've owned, my R18 runs 39 mpg. Combined with the small tank it really cuts into the range.

Handling is average for a cruiser, a little tighter than some. Service is stupid expensive, but Indian is the same way if you pay the dealer for it. The difference is if you don't take it to the dealer for service you get a bright orange triangle on the dash, which is annoying for people who DIY.

Factory parts are expensive, even compared to factory Indian and Harley. My R18 was hit and knocked over while parked, the tank wasn't damaged and the repair estimate was almost $10k for entirely cosmetic damage.

One of the biggest upsides? It is put together really well and easy to work on. The parts quality is higher than HD or Indian. The chromed steel is done well, the parts line up very well and the thing is just gorgeous. Unlike a V-Twin, the engine looks great to the rider even when you are riding, you can just glance down and see those big jugs.

Good luck in your decision! There are lots of great choices in full size cruisers today.
Not forgetting the US a gallon is smaller than a UK gallon, hence the mpg difference. 39 US mpg = 47 UK mpg. I don’t think that’s too bad tbh. Depends how hard you ride of course.

I've had a number of V-Twins over the years, including one Indian, althoug that was a Scout, which is very different from the Chief / Chieftain line of bikes. Right now I have an R18 and a Harley Low Rider with the Milwaukee 8. Here is how I contrast between them:

Pistol Pete
I would think the BMW would handle above average for a cruiser???

Pistol Pete
I would think the BMW would handle above average for a cruiser???
agree, especially the R18B with the new geometry. I haven't ridden the B but rode the R18 TC back-to-back with a K1600GTL and 1250RT and was shocked at how well the R18TC handled given its size. lacks the ground clearance to get low in the turns but I liked the TC the best of the 3 and bought one. it really felt special to ride it.

agree, especially the R18B with the new geometry. I haven't ridden the B but rode the R18 TC back-to-back with a K1600GTL and 1250RT and was shocked at how well the R18TC handled given its size. lacks the ground clearance to get low in the turns but I liked the TC the best of the 3 and bought one. it really felt special to ride it.
Thanks for your input Good luck

Thanks for your input Good luck
thanks you too. if you do decide on the R18B, if you're in the US or Canada you'll be waiting indefinitely like I am thanks to the mystery stop sale on all BMW bikes. I checked with the dealer today and they haven't heard anything more but are expecting more info to come on Thursday.

thanks you too. if you do decide on the R18B, if you're in the US or Canada you'll be waiting indefinitely like I am thanks to the mystery stop sale on all BMW bikes. I checked with the dealer today and they haven't heard anything more but are expecting more info to come on Thursday.
This is a pre owned 2022 & it’s at the Indian Dealer

I have both a 2017 Indian Vintage Chief and an R18 FE. I love both bikes, but without question if I had to choose without question it would be the Indian. The comfort of ride and ergo the Indian is far superior to that of the R18 FE. Of course that is not a direct comparison because I don’t have the B model. Both of my bikes are pictured below.

IMG_0428.jpeg

69350148550__21FE38F8-2421-402F-BBA7-FD07329913CA.jpeg

I have both a 2017 Indian Vintage Chief and an R18 FE. I love both bikes, but without question if I had to choose without question it would be the Indian. The comfort of ride and ergo the Indian is far superior to that of the R18 FE. Of course that is not a direct comparison because I don’t have the B model. Both of my bikes are pictured below.

View attachment 11809

View attachment 11810
Great looking bikes. My 15 Indian Chief Vintage looks exactly like yours in Black. Now I am totally confused lol
Thanks for you input

Great looking bikes. My 15 Indian Chief Vintage looks exactly like yours in Black. Now I am totally confused lol
Thanks for you input
Unless you are in a position to own more than one bike I suppose it comes down to why you want to change out the Indian? If you really like it keep it, you know it by now, it’s worth what it’s worth. If on the other hand you do want a change then a decent test ride on the B is a very wise move, it should help make the decision for you. I’ve never had buyers remorse but I’ve had sellers remorse too many times, if only…….when we know, we know.

Back