Poll: How do you ride your R18 engine?

How do you ride your R18 Engine?

• Total voters

JAMUSAURUS

Site Supporter
Curious to see how everyone rides their engine. I personally vary from cruising highways at an above average pace and riding it hard like it’s a sport bike, using most of the rev range and gears. I feel this motor loves to have its legs stretched!

On freeways with nominal traffic I put it on ROLL mode and set the cruise to 70 and let it follow the traffic. Smoother that way around 3000rpm...
On twisties I switch to ROCK mode and between 25mph and 60mph I accelerate and slow down a little aggressively to have fun. But not in a risky way.

Always in rock for me.... I look after it to it is warm.... then it is all about me from "warmed up" on.... so fast'ish and fun... mostly just this side of getting into real trouble.... so never more then 45km/h over the speed limit... well... mostly never.

....45 over is loss of license for 6 months.... vehicle impounded etc.... last time caught for this was 44 years ago... rode a push bike and lost 30 kilos.... so sorta worked out.... needed to thin down to meet girls anyhow.

Now I live rural with lots of hills and windy roads.... the ones signed 80kmh (ie 50mph)... are the tricky ones.... easy to "torque" your way into trouble... 130 before you know it..... and... I no longer need to meet girls.... so no up side to getting caught these days.

Last edited:
Always in rock for me.... I look after it to it is warm.... then it is all about me from "warmed up" on.... so fast'ish and fun... mostly just this side of getting into real trouble.... so never more then 45km/h over the speed limit... well... mostly never.

....45 over is loss of license for 6 months.... vehicle impounded etc.... last time caught for this was 44 years ago... rode a push bike and lost 30 kilos.... so sorta worked out.... needed to thin down to meet girls anyhow.

Now I live rural with lots of hills and windy roads.... the ones signed 80kmh (ie 50mph)... are the tricky ones.... easy to "torque" your way into trouble... 130 before you know it..... and... I no longer need to meet girls.... so no up side to getting caught these days.
I do the exact same. If it’s open in front of me, I’m letting the engine sing but mindful of where I am. My limit is 40 over the speed limit. I’ll take the ticket as a cost of having fun, but yeah - it’s gets more serious beyond that in Canada. But like you, I do this where there are more bugs than people and the risk is extremely low.

On freeways with nominal traffic I put it on ROLL mode and set the cruise to 70 and let it follow the traffic. Smoother that way around 3000rpm...
On twisties I switch to ROCK mode and between 25mph and 60mph I accelerate and slow down a little aggressively to have fun. But not in a risky way.
I use both those modes as well. In traffic, let it ROLL. When it’s time to get going, let’s ROCK!

Start up to reverse out of the garage (on gravel) & put it away in the garage afterwards in ROLL. As soon as it’s out on the road it’s ROCK. Short shift, mostly ride in 5th on the open road where it’s in the sweet spot (for our speed limits and country roads). Big 👍 from me for the R18. Love it.

I ride mine with upmost mechanical sympathy cause I'll tell you one thing if it shits itself its finished its made to bumble along no have its tits reved out

I ride on Roll all the time. Have used Rock a couple of times but it vibrates a bit for my liking. I shift gears not so much by revs but by engine noise and vibration. I don’t like long gears either. As soon as I hear the tune when it my opinion she asks to up shift I do so all the way to 6th gear if the speed limit allows it and on the motorway she is always on 6th gear cruising at 70mph at about 2500/2600 rpm. No vibration whatsoever and purring like a kitten.

Last edited:
Rock everywhere except with my wife riding with. Roll and Rain really dials the throttle sensitivity down. Without the wife on back, speed limits are just suggestions.

Mostly in rock, use roll when it's raining, especially after long dry spells, not fond of the
throttle lag in rain mode. I ride according to the conditions at the time, and while I don't
baby the engine, I find I get the best out of the bike with a smooth riding style.

Rock Most of the time, I'll switch to rain when the pavement is wet, Rode my GTL the same way, When I want power, I do not want to play around. Keep it around 3K when moving on down the road. Up shift and down shift depends, Boxers are know for their engine braking abilities!

I ride it hard, but not to redline much. Usually fast shift through gears around 4500 - 5000. I ride in rock and have the BT Moto tune and dna filter, so the baby really pulls!

I let it spin. No problem going 60 in 4th. Smooth 3,000 RPM, and ready to jump into action with just a twist of the wrist. Sure on country roads, cruise on in higher gear.

David
24,000 smiles so far.

SPEED?

The day I bought it, don't go over 4,000 RPM. Ok, so it will go 115 in 6th @ 4,000 RPM :)

Most I have seen is 130, never been passed by a V twin.

I don't look down much at those speeds.

David

I ride in ROCK mode all the time. Because it is a cruiser, I take it easy. I ride at 60-65 mph. I get a steady 50 mpg which blows my mind every time.

Rockin' most of the time. I'd say my average is 75 mph on highways.
Engine seems to be the happiest there and overtaking just takes a twist of the throttle.

Back