Politics and religion - I was taught by my parents that these are two VERBOTEN topics in polite discussion

Keehn

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Folks, very recently, as in tonight, a couple members have caused me to ask this question to the forum as a whole:

Do we, or do we not allow politics and religion to be discussed here on this forum?

I am in the "against" camp simply because these two topics are simply too divisive and IMO, there's nothing to be gained in a motorcycle enthusiast community by talking about either, ESPECIALLY the politics one in this day and age.

I frequent Reddit and Twitter and I've seen how nasty politics discussions have tainted entire communities within those social community platforms, and how many people have left or simply gone silent as a result, and I hope for the love of all that is good that doesn't happen here as well!!!

The religion side - I'm personally not as concerned about as I am the politics issue, but I still bring it up since there might be some riders here who are sensitive to the topic.

Anyways, off of my soapbox, what does everyone else think? IMO, I think the moderators should make a standing rule barring politics. Take a look at the link https://www.r18forums.com/threads/i...-yet-or-an-electronic-version.1130/post-21890 on down, including my responses, and then another member's response to my post to see why politics shouldn't be discussed at all...

Mike

I think if we follow the rules it doesn’t matter what the topic. However, I don’t visit this site for political or religious reasons and personally refrain from those discussions,

Why should we talk about those topics? People from around the world is here. Stop this discussion (and delete this topic) like it never happened (please 🙏🏻)
Luis,

Exactly my point. I’m trying to find consensus that discussing politics and religion on a motorcycle forum is NOT okay.

It sounds like you and I are in agreement.

Mike

Then I think this is settled. Mods, I think a site-wide rule should be instituted to this effect.

Aicpjim broke it down succinctly: Mentioning the recession itself is news, not politics. It breaches into politics when someone starts mentioning anything that can be considered partisan. My suggestion would be to keep the conversations friendly, the virtual beer flowing, beer steins full, and may the rubber side always stay down!

Oktoberfest1078390306.jpg

Mike

I car pool to work with a gentleman who sits on the opposite side the of the political fence from me, and also on opposite side of the theology fence.
We talk about weather, cars, football.
Funny how discussions of politics and religion generate heat, sarcasm, hurt, pain, viciousness...............

Dammit. Now I want to go to Hofbrauhaus. Dunkel…mmmmm
Love the beer but the venue in Munich not so much. Need to head south and hit up the local places for beer and spirits. Ettal springs to mind! Love dropping in there. (Man, now I want to go on vacation)

When I was stationed in the PACNW (Bremerton, Washington, to be specific), I fell in love with "hefeweizen beer". Incredibly, the NW is the ONLY place I'd ever encountered hefeweizen, and there's a LOT of microbreweries up there that make it locally. I live in Maryland and it's rare to find hefeweizen on shelves. In fact, the only places you'll find it is at speciality alcohol stores, as the locals here must not have a refined German palate for fine beer :ROFLMAO:.

Mike

When I was stationed in the PACNW (Bremerton, Washington, to be specific), I fell in love with "hefeweizen beer". Incredibly, the NW is the ONLY place I'd ever encountered hefeweizen, and there's a LOT of microbreweries up there that make it locally. I live in Maryland and it's rare to find hefeweizen on shelves. In fact, the only places you'll find it is at speciality alcohol stores, as the locals here must not have a refined German palate for fine beer :ROFLMAO:.

Mike
DC Brau makes a hefeweizen ("El Hefe Speaks") 🤷‍♂️ So does Atlas Brew Works. And not too far out of Maryland is Levante Brewing in West Chester, PA with a strawberry hefeweizen. 😘

Last edited:
I absolutely love it .. this thread went from the dreaded politics and religion .. to the very pleasant topics of Beer and Bikes ... ohhh and let me throw the 3rd 'B' in there: Booty !!!! (and I mean that in the nicest non-derogatory way!). 🤪. ... that should get the ball rolling some more !

Back