Pick a seat…any seat

motoring

So, it appears the Cross County might be the best seat if one wants the most comfort. I am 5’9” tall with 30” inseam. My r18fe 2021 comes with, I infer, just the base seat and no rear seat section. Most all hate that base seat. So my thinking is…
*Cross County though a single seat with front and passenger does allow for insertion of back rest
*Cross County seat looks ok to me, well not great but I am about comfort (function over looks)
*Thinking the Weekender won’t be as comfortable as the Cross Country though it is two separate seats and allow for insertion of back rest

I like the bmw solo seat offered and if I could get one used at a fair price would do that, even if it just change it out the the Cross County at times for the ‘solo’ look. I rarely have a passenger.
I was flying up to IL to actually test ride the Cross County and Weekender seats though the more I think about it I am starting to feel (excuse the pun) that the Cross County is the way to go thus no need to fly up and back just to try out two different seats.

Thoughts….
Thank you

Last edited:
I have the cross country seat, and it is comfortable. But, if I was a solo rider, I would get the Weekender, and run it as a solo seat. Face it, the bike is for shorter rides, not 500 mile trips, or at least, not at once. It should be plenty comfortable for 100-200 mile day trips.

I also found/think the stock bars on the 2021 R28FE are a bit wide and maybe a bit more forward then I would like. I recall is it sort of makes my shoulder blads feel as though they are being s stretched sideways. Don’t know if that is just a ‘me thing’ or if I need to consider adding bar back risers though if added don’t know if the front cables are long enough without needing to change them out.

Will of course wait until I get some miles on the bike before crossing that bridge though possible this concern could be a factor in what seat to select. Thought I read the bmw solo seat moves you closer to the bars, for example though maybe higher such that one feels they are sitting on top of the bike instead of in it if you follow my thought process.

For my R18CLA, I upgraded to the Day Rider (no pillion). Major improvement over the stock seat. All day comfort. I suppose the Weekender or Cross Country could be more comfortable, but the look of them didn't appeal to me.

I used a Cross Country seat on my Base Model until I traded it in.

Before I express my thoughts on it I should say, I do still have it and want to sell it. So take it with a grain of salt.

It's a fantastic seat. I tried to see if it would go on the Transcontinental but it does not. (But my Transcontinental seat is very comfortable already. If I could change anything about the TC seat, I would like a backrest. When I could use some support for comfort while using the leg rests.)

Back to the Cross Country Seat, it's flat and wide but narrow in the front. With my 30 in inseam, I can't flat foot when sitting where I would normally sit while riding. I have to scootch forward to the narrow part to do that. But it's only a concern when trying to back up, move the bike without running the engine or doing slow speed/tight maneuvers as my reach isn't great for fully locking the handle bar. The seat isn't super comfortable at the narrow end but it's not a place one normally sits for a long time, so it shouldn't be an issue.
I did several long distance (400ish mile) trips on it and it I never had to think about the seat seat once.

If I got another base model, I would either do a bobber conversion or put the Cross Country Seat on.

The only downside of that seat for me was the aesthetics. Can't beat the stock seat for the looks... wish it was more comfortable.

I used a Cross Country seat on my Base Model until I traded it in.

Before I express my thoughts on it I should say, I do still have it and want to sell it. So take it with a grain of salt.

It's a fantastic seat. I tried to see if it would go on the Transcontinental but it does not. (But my Transcontinental seat is very comfortable already. If I could change anything about the TC seat, I would like a backrest. When I could use some support for comfort while using the leg rests.)

Back to the Cross Country Seat, it's flat and wide but narrow in the front. With my 30 in inseam, I can't flat foot when sitting where I would normally sit while riding. I have to scootch forward to the narrow part to do that. But it's only a concern when trying to back up, move the bike without running the engine or doing slow speed/tight maneuvers as my reach isn't great for fully locking the handle bar. The seat isn't super comfortable at the narrow end but it's not a place one normally sits for a long time, so it shouldn't be an issue.
I did several long distance (400ish mile) trips on it and it I never had to think about the seat seat once.

If I got another base model, I would either do a bobber conversion or put the Cross Country Seat on.

The only downside of that seat for me was the aesthetics. Can't beat the stock seat for the looks... wish it was more comfortable.
Let me know what you want for the seat shipped to zip 33770 please. Else zip 60010

I mounted the Weekender on my FE. Love it. Then again, I don't do rides over 100 miles, generally.
Hum...decisions. My bike comes with the base front and rear seat. My hope is the stock rear seat allows the solo seat to be used. I just had the dealer order the solo seat.
Will see what Vyk needs for his Cross County seat, might be nice to have as an alternate seat to use at times if price is right.

95% of the time I will ride solo so thinking the bmw solo seat will work for my needs and love the look.
I have the cross country seat, and it is comfortable. But, if I was a solo rider, I would get the Weekender, and run it as a solo seat. Face it, the bike is for shorter rides, not 500 mile trips, or at least, not at once. It should be plenty comfortable for 100-200 mile day trips.
Good thought...diving in the deep end of the pool though and getting the bmw solo seat to complete the look.

Last edited:
So I have been up/down and around on seat selection. Final answer...I am doing the Cross County though just having the dealer install the front section only.

Also got the back rest if I want to use that now and again. Don't know that I can mix and match though might try putting on the base rear seat section since it is thinner then the Cross County rear seat I infer.

If want I can check during Bike Oktoberfest in Daytona to see if someone there can improve the base front seat that comes on the bike without spending a fortune to get that done. Something with more comfort like the Weekender front seat maybe.

That Cross County seat, dealer says it is a two piece, will make the bike a 'fat bottom' girl and not as clean as the bmw solo seat but I want to start this way and go from there. I will just make my mind think it is an old school harley large front seat.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

So I have been up/down and around on seat selection. Final answer...I am doing the Cross County though just having the dealer install the front section only.

Also got the back rest if I want to use that now and again. Don't know that I can mix and match though might try putting on the base rear seat section since it is thinner then the Cross County rear seat I infer.

If want I can check during Bike Oktoberfest in Daytona to see if someone there can improve the base front seat that comes on the bike without spending a fortune to get that done. Something with more comfort like the Weekender front seat maybe.

That Cross County seat, dealer says it is a two piece, will make the bike a 'fat bottom' girl and not as clean as the bmw solo seat but I want to start this way and go from there. I will just make my mind think it is an old school harley large front seat.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Cross Country is a one piece seat so looks like it’ll be the Weekender for you?

Dam...I thought it was but the Adam said it was a two piece. I will call him back now though then again...maybe I should just stick with the Cross County anyway and get the base front seat that came with the bike redone in Daytona. Figure they have to have a few Seat vendors doing seat remodels on site during Bike Octoberfest.

Guess I need to find a good enough quality rear rack without paying Wunderlick prices ($800) now. That way I could do old school and bungee cord something to the back seat/rear rack if needed.

So long as the one piece seat does not mark up the rear fender when I later put on only a front seat section then I will be happy.

Last edited:
Dam...I thought it was but the Adam said it was a two piece. I will call him back now though then again...maybe I should just stick with the Cross County anyway and get the base front seat that came with the bike redone in Daytona. Figure they have to have a few Seat vendors doing seat remodels on site during Bike Octoberfest.

Guess I need to find a good enough quality rear rack without paying Wunderlick prices ($800) now. That way I could do old school and bungee cord something to the back seat/rear rack if needed.

So long as the one piece seat does not mark up the rear fender when I later put on only a front seat section then I will be happy.
Post in thread 'BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown'
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/bmw-mustang-seat-options-breakdown.84/post-7126

Luis here confirms it is one piece and also that the Weekender isn’t a two piece version of it which I thought it was tbh. From info you provided, I’d be inclined to go with the Weekender so you can get your feet down, particularly on uneven ground but it’s down to personal choice at the end of the day.

What the heck, it is Sunday. Nice time for a good breakfast with coffee or juice…and find time to take a Seat lol.
So, presently the Weekender seat is the ‘winner’ though then I am asking myself the following question.

The 2021 R18FE which I purchased comes with a bmw stock front and back seat which sucks it seems. Thank you BMW for making us pay for a crap seat…NOT.

I have paid like $450 (hum maybe it was $475) for the Weekender seat to use as a replacement. Bike will be picked up later next week. So the question I am asking myself today is…
Might it make sense for me to do the following instead.

1. Not buy the Weekender seat
2. Instead buy the BMW solo seat & backing plate for $681 ($331 is solo seat cost), I have been back and forth on this thought a lot it seems.
3. Ride the new bike to Daytona for Bike Octoberfest and find a Seat vendor there that can redo the front seat that came on the bike. Thinking not too hard to remove solo seat and mounting plate though could ride the R18 there with solo seat on it and just bring the front stock seat with me.

other questions -
1. Does anyone have experience having a seat redo on-site at a biking event and if so were you happy with outcome?
2. Does it really make sense to have both a bmw solo seat and the stock base front seat (even redone) with the stock rear seat (which one figures sort of sucks as well). Though in my case 95% of my time would be riding solo on the R18. I know is is mostly a ‘me’ question I need to answer myself since if they solo seat is nice to ‘seat’ on I might very rarely want/need to put on the stock seat after it is redone.
3. Wonder too if solo seat might make me feel I am riding too on top of the bike and not in it (aka feeling not part of the bike in a manner of speaking). Though if the solo seat is more comfortable then any other seat option I could like of live sitting a bit higher on the seat then other seats I figure.

Last edited:
I’d honestly just stick with the Weekender and put some miles on it. Once you’ve tried it out you’ll know if you need anything more or less than what you have.

The solo seat without the bobber kit looks odd to my eyes because of the mounting points that are left on the original rear fender.

Back