Over Torqued Oil Drain Plug and Oil Filter

Hi guys,

Few days ago, I took my R18 to a known private mechanic here to rechange my oil and filter here once again 700-800 km after the break in service. The reason I did that was the dealership here refuses to change the oil when warm due to “work safety”. I just thought that changing the oil & filter once more wouldn’t hurt and would be beneficial to get rid of more metal shavings.

Long story short, I thought the guy knew what he was doing and didn’t check the torque values while he was tightening the plug and filter down. When I asked him in the end, he said he did 20 NM to the filter and 40 NM to the plug. Realizing these values are too much, I informed him, but he told me not to worry and that these values are what he always uses.

I am not totally convinced though. What do you guys advice I should do? Now that I’ve got the right tools (torque wrench etc…) should I slightly loosen them and retighten them to the correct values? Or not worry about it and wait for the next oil change? I have made close to 200 km after this and there is no leakage or anything, but I am still feeling a bit uneasy about this.

Don't worry about it and correct it at the next oil change; it will be fine..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Few days ago, I took my R18 to a known private mechanic here to rechange my oil and filter here once again 700-800 km after the break in service. The reason I did that was the dealership here refuses to change the oil when warm due to “work safety”. I just thought that changing the oil & filter once more wouldn’t hurt and would be beneficial to get rid of more metal shavings.

Long story short, I thought the guy knew what he was doing and didn’t check the torque values while he was tightening the plug and filter down. When I asked him in the end, he said he did 20 NM to the filter and 40 NM to the plug. Realizing these values are too much, I informed him, but he told me not to worry and that these values are what he always uses.

I am not totally convinced though. What do you guys advice I should do? Now that I’ve got the right tools (torque wrench etc…) should I slightly loosen them and retighten them to the correct values? Or not worry about it and wait for the next oil change? I have made close to 200 km after this and there is no leakage or anything, but I am still feeling a bit uneasy about this.
Leave well alone till next service and request a new sump plug

40Nm is ~ 30Ft Lbs and the correct spec 28Nm is ~ 20.6Ft Lbs on the drain plug.

I'd say you're fine ;). He wasn't reefing down on your machine, but...he should have listened to you, his customer regardless of his own notions of what works. That's just simple customer service.

Me personally? I think spec torques are a bit loose (on nuts/bolts, so I snug a couple Nm's past to ensure the crush washers are thoroughly "crushed". That's just my opinion though.

For filters, I use the German measurement of "Guten Teight" 🤣.

Mike

I get quite shy with things like this.... as a 62yo I will admit to never having used a torque wrentch on sump plugs (let alone a filter???)..... and I have never replaced a crush washer either..... never had a oil leak ...... maybe I'm still living in the past.... back in the 60s and 70s who had access to such a flash thing? (torque wrench)..... at most one might have borrowed one (from work or a mechanic friend) if doing a head or some thing.... mostly after that flash new metal arrived (aluminium).

Now I torque and thread lock like a girl.... my grandpa would be embarrassed about what I have become when working on the R18.

Last edited:
I get quite shy with things like this.... as a 62yo I will admit to never having used a torque wrentch on sump plugs (let alone a filter???)..... and I have never replaced a crush washer either..... never had a oil leak ...... maybe I'm still living in the past.... back in the 60s and 70s who had access to such a flash thing? (torque wrench)..... at most one might have borrowed one (from work or a mechanic friend) if doing a head or some thing.... mostly after that flash new metal arrived (aluminium).

Now I torque and thread lock like a girl.... my grandpa would be embarrassed about what I have become when working on the R18.
You torque and thread lock like they do...

At the factory. Like the manufacturer recommends. Also, I know there are girls who could kick my ass at turning a wrench.

Mike

Back