Oil in sight Glass

Berardi3

I have a 22B with the bike on side stand I looked at the sightglass and I did not show any oil am I burning oil? a bit worried here has around 2500 miles

What Travis said .. best if you can park her in a wheel chock after a ride .. then wait about 5 minutes (give the oil time to settle down in the oil pan) and check, after that it should be about in the middle of the glas .. or at least somewhere within the smaller circle

What they said above: bike warmed up, turned off & level, wait 5-10 minutes then check it.
I use my cell phone to take a photo of the sight glass as I can do this sitting in the saddle, and I have a date-specific visual reference. I've found around 10 minutes gives me the most accurate reading.
Don't have a wheel chock on the road so I just find a cool, shady spot & sit on the bike for 10 fecking minutes. Looks stupid but it works.
I just finished a 4k mile road trip yesterday and checked the oil every other day. I'm sure some folks wondered what hell I was doing!

I also check mine with my cell phone camera. When i stop for fuel I usually take few minutes break and when i get back on the oil has had plenty of time to settle and i simply hold the bike level and use video mode to check the sight glass area and then i can easily see the oil level. Working towards my 18,000 mile service and never saw a level change to date.

Last edited:
that was with the bike upright maybe a minute with warm engine
If you wait a few more minutes, more oil will drain into the sump & sightglass. A minute is pretty short.
I'm a bit AR & have found that about 10 minutes gives me the best accuracy. This is especially important in cases where you've just added oil as it's easy to overfill, and that's not good.
That being said, your oil level looks good.

If you wait a few more minutes, more oil will drain into the sump & sightglass. A minute is pretty short.
I'm a bit AR & have found that about 10 minutes gives me the best accuracy. This is especially important in cases where you've just added oil as it's easy to overfill, and that's not good.
That being said, your oil level looks good.
👍

Back