Oil cooler fans?

So, I saw someone on one of the larger R18 groups on Facebook (can't find it at the moment or i'd DM him) that had added some 120mm fans between the cooler and shroud of the bike. Curious if anyone can find the post or if anyone has done something like this? I know auxiliary fans are fairly common on Harley's but after getting a double heat warning a couple of weeks ago while sitting in stop and go traffic... curious who's tried such a thing.

Not sure it would make much of a difference? Also not sure which fans would be able to stand up to weather and such right behind the front wheel... Anyway, just wanted to see what folks with potentially much more air cooled experience/less anxiety think.

Can’t say I recall seeing that post but having the fan in front of the cooler sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The HD oil cooler fan sits behind it but is also plugged into the bike and activates at certain temps so I guess you’d have to have a switch mounted somewhere but remember to turn it off.
If you do find it again post a pic here 👍🏻

I put a fan(from a liget company) on a 2010 FLHTK w/oem cooler.The bike ran hotter. I used a lazer temp gun that showed the bike was actually running hotter at highway speed.The fan was behind the cooler but it restricted the air flow.
I sent it back and got a refund.
Hate to beat this topic but to repeat myself,I have a R18C with a side car.I have the Bren Tune and DNA air intake w/stock pipes.The bike has never overheated in Arizona temps and It has seen temps in excess of 116F.
The BMW R18 is air and oil cooled and carries about 50lbs of oil pressure to the heads.Oil is flowing thru the oil cooler pretty darn fast.I know the idea of re-engineering our motorcycles to make them better,faster and have them make more noise is kinda fun but it is costly.
I just traded in my overbuilt Indian 116 BBK(and I had extra headwork Chrome moly push rods V2 lifters Plus$$$) for a new Springfield with the 111 engine.I decided to do the 111 stg2 package and Indian cams.There are other cams out there but I wanted to stick with my warranty and keep the bike ridable.My 116 was moody,ran really hot and was tweeky.Sometimes not fun to ride.Indian has not been sleeping.The newer bike have 6 full qts of oil capacity,improved heads that flow better and the cat flows and runs cooler than my previous two Indian Thunderstroke bike that had the cat deleted.Indian now has 3 modes kinda like the BMW.In Sport(same as Rock)mode the 111 is fast.When you can take a computer controlled bike and adjust timing and Throttle body FBW to make them open at a specific time it really makes the use of what power is there.
Even the stg2 flash is better than my 1st 2014 w/stg2.
Manufactures are under pressure to make their bikes run on the fuel we have available.They have to improve flow and heep these air/oil cooled engines performing well.
The stock exhaust systems may be quiet but lots of dollars are spent to make them flow.Even though there are tuners/tunes sold by aftermarket,there are some areas where the Bren,Dynojet PV,Powercommander, can not adjust some areas like cold idle and the 14.7:1 cruise area can't be changed unless you eliminate the O2 sensors.Which is where epa regs are focused on.All the Indians we had on the dyno ran rich at wide open throttle till it hit the limiter.Manufacturers don't want to burn the bikes up.
Anyway,sorry for the rant and not trying to tell anyone what they should do.Except,enjoy the ride and let the warranty be your friend.I would hate to put a fan or try some improvement that BMW can say "that fan killed your engine by blocking the air flow"If you think about it,they would have every right to deny a claim otherwise a fan would come on the R18,like the MotoGuzzi California.

Good luck and I will shut my mouth now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back