Oh boy...here come the Chinese with their HD clones... 🙄

Gotta give the Chinese props for trying. Based on what I see on Alibaba, they seem to support the R18 better than Europe and America.

The X wedge is fundamentally solid design that S&S put a lot into. Don't think they ever got a fuel injection system worked out. I would be curious to see if they've worked through that.

I'm not going to poo poo their effort. I made that mistake when Hyundai first started selling cars in the US and look at them now.

Competition is good for everyone. More power to them.

So S&S gave the Chinese the thumbs up to put their big-bore evo engine (that was cast and machined there anyway) into a frame of their own making ... hell why not ... but I still keep Uschi .. she has grown on me despite all the BMW corporate shenanigans ;)

So S&S gave the Chinese the thumbs up to put their big-bore evo engine (that was cast and machined there anyway) into a frame of their own making ... hell why not ... but I still keep Uschi .. she has grown on me despite all the BMW corporate shenanigans ;)
There's just......one other vehicle that S&S put their engine in that I've been lusting after for a LONG time.....

morgan-3-wheeler-14.jpg
The Morgan 3-wheeler. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/morgan/3-wheeler-2012-2020

It's too bad that a couple years ago, Morgan discontinued with S&S and instead, went with a Ford 3-cylinder for their current model 3-wheelers.

I want one of these quite badly. However, If I had a complaint from afar, it's that Morgan still makes their bodies out of wood. But, I suppose for a British company still making vehicles by hand the old-fashioned way, one should expect old traditions to stubbornly stick.

Mike

There's just......one other vehicle that S&S put their engine in that I've been lusting after for a LONG time.....

View attachment 11769
The Morgan 3-wheeler. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/morgan/3-wheeler-2012-2020

It's too bad that a couple years ago, Morgan discontinued with S&S and instead, went with a Ford 3-cylinder for their current model 3-wheelers.

I want one of these quite badly. However, If I had a complaint from afar, it's that Morgan still makes their bodies out of wood. But, I suppose for a British company still making vehicles by hand the old-fashioned way, one should expect old traditions to stubbornly stick.

Mike
I kid you not but there’s a Morgan dealer in my next village, Winterton. I walk the dog past the showroom often. These cars are amazing, though expensive. Too expensive for ‘ordinary’ families. If I ever come into money I’m going there to bag one.

On the subject of Chinese cruisers, I have read that in China vehicles after a certain age HAVE to be taken off the road, I presume scrapped or recycled. Meaning that if they can afford one, the entire population drives in either new or fairy new cars, bikes, trucks etc. Hence the reason why they are built down to a price/quality point and why we in the West think they are ‘crap’. But we misunderstand because they last only as long as they need to. Think it’s 7 years.

On the other hand we (UK, USA, Europe etc) have a very different relationship with vehicles and expect them to last decades when looked after. Culture clash.

The way things are going here horse and cart will be coming back into fashion.

Last edited:
That is too bad that Morgan is changing away from the V-Twin engine .. I always thought that as some sort of trademark look for them.

Too me the Morgan lost most of its character and appeal moving away from the big twin at the front of the vehicle.
I hear they drive kinda crappy but at what? 65K+ ill buy a real car.

Its the old saying do not knock it till you,ve tried it , i agree the chinese see a niche in the market for parts especially expensive ones and they supply them a lot cheaper might even be tempted myself .

Back