New to the R-18

Greetings from San Antonio, TX.

Tim here, new to the forum but not new to BMW Motorcycles. I’m a retired Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer Four and a retired Customs and Border Protection Officer. After touching out 10 years of Michigan winters my wife, born and raised in Colombia, decided we needed to move somewhere warm. So here’s to you San Antonio!

i started riding motorcycles almost 30 years ago; although I swore I never had a drinking problem I never rode a motorcycle when I was drinking because I knew I’d probably kill myself!

My first bike was a 1977 R60/7 with a Luftmeister fairing and hard bags; I learned to ride the freeways of LA on it! Next was a progression of a R100RT, K75S, K1100LT, 2 R1200Cs, and 6 weeks ago I bought a ”new, uncrated that morning” 1st Edition R-18.

I normally don’t name my vehicles; but I’ve sort of referred to it as “The Beast from Berlin!” I also received the R-18 1st Edition gift pack; the Copper plated front engine and Tank badges are a nice touch to the bike.

Due to some health and other issues I hadn’t ridden in 2 years so with some slight trepidation and trying to remember the basic and advanced MSF courses I departed from Alamo Motorsports in Boerne, TX for the 20 mile ride home; naturally I was riding during rush hour! I am taking it nice and easy, trying to keep it under 3,000 rpm until the first service (in about 200 miles); in 6th gear at 2,800 rpms it rides smoothly at 80 mph. I’ve got some bad back issues; but the upright riding style hasnt added to my back issues.

Of the various features on the R-18 that I like is the Hill Start Assist; leaving my sub-division is a traffic light and the road is almost at the top of the hill. With the HSA it’s no longer trying to balance the brake, clutch, and throttle all at the same time.

Now to wait until after the first service and screw up the courage to try the “Rock” setting!

Back