New R18 Classic Owner from Albuquerque, NM

I've been riding off and on for the last 27 years. My last bike was a Yamaha VMAX, which I sold about 8 years ago. Since then, I've ridden occasionally with my sister and her husband. They have a garage full of Indians and a Harley. They were always kind enough to let me borrow a bike when I needed to get out and ride. At the beginning of the pandemic, my job shifted to a permanent work from home position and the isolation pushed me in to riding more frequently just to get out of the house.

Back in April my wife suggested that I sell my truck because no one was driving it and replace it with a bike. She only had to say it once. I wanted a cruiser that would do longer rides like the in-laws Indians, but I wasn't sure what I wanted. I knew that a Harley wasn't really for me. As I researched, I came across the R18. I started browsing this site back in April and I purchased my R18C Back in May. It is a gently used First Edition. It had 1,900 miles on it when I bought it. The previous owner had upgraded to a TC because his wife decided she wanted to be a regular passenger. I quickly put about 2K miles on the bike and then in late July I was rearended at a stoplight.

The bike sat down at the dealership for 7 weeks waiting on parts from Germany. I got her back last week. During the downtime, my daughter passed the MSF class, and we picked up a KTM 390 Duke for her, so now I've got a riding buddy!

In case anyone is wondering, the damage to my bike wasn't too bad. The previous owner had put Craftride Engine guards on the bike, which saved it from any major damage. I was stopped in a left turn lane at a red light. The driver behind me was stopped as well. When the light turned green, I must have turned invisible. She ended up hitting me hard enough to push the bike forward a few feet. Primary contact was made with the license plate carrier, which snapped clean off. The bike went down in the right side. BMW found damage to the right mid-section of the exhaust cover and damage to the right floorboard in addition to the scrape on the engine guard and the broken license plate carrier. The engine guards saved the saddle bags and the cylinder head from any damage. Total bill to get everything fixed was $3,700.

I'm looking forward to being a member of the community here!

Oddly similar story. I got my gently used Classic because owners wife wanted him to upgrade to a TC. My previous bike is a 390 duke which my daughter has asked to learn on. I hope I don’t get rear-ended soon!

Welcome aboard! Just joined the R18 community myself. Lots of helpful information here. Glad your accident wasn't worse than it was. Getting rear-ended on a bike usually doesn't turn out good. Sounds like the engine guards actually did their job and not just window dressing for good looks.

Welcome aboard! Just joined the R18 community myself. Lots of helpful information here. Glad your accident wasn't worse than it was. Getting rear-ended on a bike usually doesn't turn out good. Sounds like the engine guards actually did their job and not just window dressing for good looks.
I'm also glad it wasn't worse. I suspect that because of parts costs, there is a real chance the bike would have been totaled if it hadn't been for the engine guard. I initially thought that the only damage was the license plate carrier and a small scrape on the engine guard. I was able to ride the bike home without any issues. I did not expect the estimate that BMW came back with. although I am glad I had them do a thorough inspection of the bike.

Oddly similar story. I got my gently used Classic because owners wife wanted him to upgrade to a TC. My previous bike is a 390 duke which my daughter has asked to learn on. I hope I don’t get rear-ended soon!
How did you like your 390 Duke? Originally, I had looked for an MT03 or a Z400 for her because they tend to be a little less expensive, but due to supply chain issues and the used bike market here being nonexistent, we went with what was available. So far it seems like a good little bike, but we are still in the break-in period.

How did you like your 390 Duke? Originally, I had looked for an MT03 or a Z400 for her because they tend to be a little less expensive, but due to supply chain issues and the used bike market here being nonexistent, we went with what was available. So far it seems like a good little bike, but we are still in the break-in period.
It’s a great little bike. Light and agile with the right amount of safety tech. Perfect for commuting. Just keep an eye on oil level..it’s a KTM thing I was told.

Attachments

• 8E070943-9322-4BBB-90E7-3713062AA804.jpeg
    8E070943-9322-4BBB-90E7-3713062AA804.jpeg
    850.4 KB · Views: 4
Back