New member from Ohio

TimC

Hi, all. I'm more a rare visitor and admirer of the R18 than an owner of one of these fine machines. I mean, the potential is always there for possibly buying one, but the funds...well, not so much.

I'm on a BMW R nineT Pure now, which I've had for a few years. I've loved the looks of the R18 since it debuted. I was finally able to snag a test ride during a demo day at the local Beemer dealer shop last summer. I rode a basic bike, no bags, no extras. It was so different from what I'm used to, and also the first time I've ridden a cruiser in several years.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a quick introduction here. Thanks for having me on your great forum!

Welcome aboard Tim.
See if you can ride different models before making your final choice , unless you have already a specific variant in mind. There is no right or wrong in my opinion, one just settles on a specific model depending on taste and riding needs.

Hi Tim. I had a R9T, nice bike. As Anibal says there is a version for everyone from mine through to the full on TC, depends what you want most from the bike and your intended use. Mine can do motorways (freeways) but it’s not great at sustained higher speeds due to the lack of wind protection, on the other hand I can get quite a lick on down sweeping country roads with total confidence and that’s more like your bike, just have to deal with slower speed tight corners in a different way because of the peg scraping (that’s not necessary with body English and a bit of care). The R18 can be revved out but I prefer to short shift it and ride in the sweet spot say 1500-3500 rpm’s. That’s ridiculously low revs compared to pretty much every other bike I’ve ever owned. It’s not a quick bike but neither is it slow.

Hi Tim. I had a R9T, nice bike. As Anibal says there is a version for everyone from mine through to the full on TC, depends what you want most from the bike and your intended use. Mine can do motorways (freeways) but it’s not great at sustained higher speeds due to the lack of wind protection, on the other hand I can get quite a lick on down sweeping country roads with total confidence and that’s more like your bike, just have to deal with slower speed tight corners in a different way because of the peg scraping (that’s not necessary with body English and a bit of care). The R18 can be revved out but I prefer to short shift it and ride in the sweet spot say 1500-3500 rpm’s. That’s ridiculously low revs compared to pretty much every other bike I’ve ever owned. It’s not a quick bike but neither is it slow.
I have a small windscreen on my R9T, but it's really only good for taking the windblast off my chest at 70+ mph. But despite the lack of real wind protection, I don't mind it too much. When necessary on the freeway I'll tuck down into more of a sportriding position to kind of lean into the wind. Then again, I try to avoid interstates most of the time. ;)

I did scrape the right footpeg on a turn during my R18 test ride. I don't think we were even going that fast. I know it happens often on cruisers but it's such a weird (and mildly startling) sensation when you aren't used to it!

I agree on the revs. I tried a variety of gears and rpms during my test ride, and found that while higher revs are okay, they aren't rewarding like on sporty bikes. My tester seemed to be happier just loping along at lower revs, which was pretty cool.

One thing I really like about the R18 is that it's different. I see a million Harleys where I live. The R18 stands out and has an amazing style. That uniqueness and relative rarity are big pros for me. (It's the same for my R9T Pure, too.) I still don't know if I'll ever own one, but I certainly appreciate them.

Back