New Member - Considering an R18

Howdy Folks

I haven't made the decision yet to buy an R18

Honestly, about two months ago I would have never considered one but something happened
  • Was it seeing them up close in the showroom?
  • Is it the obnoxiously cool engine?
I am not really sure but it seems as though I have a bad case of "R18 fever" (ha)

I've owned dozens of motorcycles but never a cruiser and never anything this freakin heavy! (although one of my R1200GS's was about 540, still not 761!)

My biggest concerns include
  • Is the tilt-before-dragging point really low? It seems way too low for what I'm used to.
  • Is a machine this heavy really difficult to maneuver when parking, backing in, & so forth?
  • Can you get more than 150 miles on one tank of gas?
  • Is the seat really as uncomfortable as some say it is?
  • My favorite rides involve anywhere from 3 to 4 hours on backroads - is this a good machine for that?
Thanks,

RS

Howdy Folks

Honestly, about two months ago I would have never considered one but something happened
I am not really sure but it seems as though I have a bad case of "R18 fever" (ha)

I've owned dozens of motorcycles but never a cruiser and never anything this freakin heavy! (although one of my R1200GS's was about 540, still not 761!)

• Is the tilt-before-dragging point really low? It seems way too low for what I'm used to.
  • Is a machine this heavy really difficult to maneuver when parking, backing in, & so forth?
  • My favorite rides involve anywhere from 3 to 4 hours on backroads - is this a good machine for that?
Thanks,

RS
No.
It’s Heavy, but Nothing to worry about. And if you choose the reverse gear option, even better.
165 miles with full tank.
Worst than uncomfortable For rides like your last question. Street or short drives are not THAT uncomfortable. Aftermarket seat have resolved this point

Howdy Folks

Thanks,

RS
I totally agree with Enzo5000 on every point. I bought my R18 in late January and have just under 1000 miles on it in 2 months. I find it DIFFICULT to park the darn thing. It's that AWESOME. And, as for it's weight... I live in a place where the roads are like snakes on heroin. Think "Tail of the Dragon" after "Tail of the Dragon" and I'm reliving my sport riding years 20 years later. The dang R18 is the heavyweight that thinks it's a sportbike of 500 pounds. The numbers lie! It's NOT freakin' heavy! Today I met the BMW Representative for our area and I told her to STOP calling it a cruiser! It's what they used to call a sport-naked in the 80s & 90s.

I'm not 100% onboard with the test-ride and you'll know crowd. It's too structured. The bike isn't dialed-in. The switches are awkward. You're on unfamiliar roads on a bike that isn't yours. No, I follow the maxim that the heart wants what the heart wants.

So ask yourself this:

If you couldn't have one, would you be relieved? Or would you be disappointed?

oh, and Enzo is exactly correct but I'd add an emphatic YES to numbers 4 & 5

Last edited:
Welcome Red Sand

I agree also with others, except on point 4.
I think the seat is ok for me, but the rear suspension is too hard (set at 0 turn after several trials) for my weight (80kg).
I got my R18 3 months ago, now more than 2400 km, and I enjoy to ride it 200/300km without pain on small country/mountain roads.

I think it's a very very cool machine . . . however . . . after a lot of thought and not very much communication from my dealer (it seems like they have chosen not to be very aggressive with me on this potential purchase), I'm gonna keep the cards I'm already holding

I have a sportbike, an adventure bike, and a dual sport so, I'm not going to be in much pain if I wait on the R18

If an R18 came out in all black and had exhaust cans I liked, and a seat that wasn't borrowed from a torture device then, yeah, I'd take the leap of faith right now but, as is, yes, the R18 is really cool but it just doesn't excite me to the degree that confidently promotes action

I really do appreciate the comments - maybe some day, who knows - would still love to go ridin with y'all (mostly NW GA & East Alabama areas)

Ride safe, ride often,

And, thank you,

RS

I think it's a very very cool machine . . . however . . . after a lot of thought and not very much communication from my dealer (it seems like they have chosen not to be very aggressive with me on this potential purchase), I'm gonna keep the cards I'm already holding

I have a sportbike, an adventure bike, and a dual sport so, I'm not going to be in much pain if I wait on the R18

If an R18 came out in all black and had exhaust cans I liked, and a seat that wasn't borrowed from a torture device then, yeah, I'd take the leap of faith right now but, as is, yes, the R18 is really cool but it just doesn't excite me to the degree that confidently promotes action

I really do appreciate the comments - maybe some day, who knows - would still love to go ridin with y'all (mostly NW GA & East Alabama areas)

Ride safe, ride often,

And, thank you,

RS
FWIW...exhaust cans from Vance & Hines (direct) are supposed to be on the market within the month and...seats are already available (I love my Corbin). I'm so used to HDs I didn't blink an eye with realizing exhaust and a seat were immediately in the picture. That said, this beast doesn't need a Stage 1 or a Stage 2 as HD always seems to need...it already flat out "gets it". My only complaint is BMW being late on their accessories and if they're not careful the aftermarket will take that business from them in a much larger proportion than would've been they launched their accessories when they launched their machines. I believe in loyalty to a brand if it is a two-way street. One good ride and you'll be hooked...

Totally get it. I was deep into the new Ford Bronco for months, ordered a first edition, got into the forum scene, but then color options didn't really do it for me and no stick shift in the higher trims and so it just kinda fizzled-out. Your comments got me thinking though. Since I was 17 I've had 7 motorcycles. I know, not a lot, but I've been around. All but one eventually got a new saddle, and it was never because the old one wore out. And they all got new cans. With the R18, I was dead-set on getting new cans, because in photos the stock ones look ridiculous. But, man, in person, they're pretty dang sexy. Anyhow, take care.

Back