New guy from stl

Longshot

hi everybody!
Bought my r18 first edition a couple weeks ago. This is my second bmw. The first was a c650gt scooter. Loved that thing, I really regret selling it. Was going to buy another new one but they've discontinued bringing it to the states this year. I currently have a guzzi and a africa twin also.
So far on the r18 I've installed the factory side bags and the mustang day rider seat. Ive also just ordered the DK front fender today. Thats all I have planned for it at the moment. This winter I may do the bar end turn signal mod to delete the stock turn signals.
I look forward to visiting the forum!

Attachments

• 20210417_161518.jpg
    20210417_161518.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 57
Hello again Longshot and welcome! I like the day rider seat as it seems more lower profile than the other options. Is it more comfortable than stock, especially the pillion seat?

I'm 6'1 200 lbs 34" inseam. So kinda long legged.
I've put about 350 miles on the bike(all with the stock seat). One longer trip at 250ish, the rest have just been short hops. On the longer trip the stock seat wasn't that bad at all on my rear at the end of the day. Better than alot of stock seats on bikes I've owned. The issue is the seat height because of my long legs. I bought this bike knowing it's probably not going to be a long distance cruiser for me. I bought the dayrider seat because I liked the brown leather and because I figured it would be more comfy (plush) too. And it is, alot more comfy for me, and the p pad is a heck of a lot more comfy than the original (although I've not had a passenger ride on it yet to review it).
It sits higher than the standard seat also, which is a big improvement in comfort for me too(legs). It is not higher than the taller seat option for the r18 from bmw though, but close.. so the dayrider is good enough for me. I can always add some foam if I need to. It also puts me forward almost a half inch more than the stock seat, which I dont like, but I am ok with it because the fact that its slightly taller and way more comfy....I'll take the trade off. And again, that's something I can always change by removing the cover and removing some foam.
Hope this helps. Ymmv

Hello again Longshot and welcome! I like the day rider seat as it seems more lower profile than the other options. Is it more comfortable than stock, especially the pillion seat?
Also, just to emphasize, imo the bigger winner between the passenger and rider seat when going to the dayrider from stock is going to be the passenger. Its just going to be way better all around as far as comfort goes for the passenger

Thanks for the details Longshot! I'm 5'11". I find the rider seat comfortable but a bit low. My hips cramp up sometimes if I happen to move my legs from the road to the pegs frequently . So I could use the extra height. But that stock pillion seat has to go. One 15 minute ride and my wife was like GTFO!

I think both of you will be quite happy with it over stock for sure
You mentioned the Tall seat which I've been looking for but just can't find it. The closest I came to it was a High seat which adds 20mm in height over stock. Don't know if it's the same as the Tall. From what I can tell, it raises you without pushing you forward which I like. But then I would have to look for a comfy pillion seat that goes with it.

You mentioned the Tall seat which I've been looking for but just can't find it. The closest I came to it was a High seat which adds 20mm in height over stock. Don't know if it's the same as the Tall. From what I can tell, it raises you without pushing you forward which I like. But then I would have to look for a comfy pillion seat that goes with it.

That's the one I was talking about. I shoulda said high seat.
That seat was on a couple other r18s at the dealer and I went back and forth from stock to high seat and the dayrider. The high seat was definitely taller than the mustang seat, but not by much

Reactions: avi
hi everybody!
Bought my r18 first edition a couple weeks ago. This is my second bmw. The first was a c650gt scooter. Loved that thing, I really regret selling it. Was going to buy another new one but they've discontinued bringing it to the states this year. I currently have a guzzi and a africa twin also.
So far on the r18 I've installed the factory side bags and the mustang day rider seat. Ive also just ordered the DK front fender today. Thats all I have planned for it at the moment. This winter I may do the bar end turn signal mod to delete the stock turn signals.
I look forward to visiting the forum!
That brown seat looks gorgeous. Congratulations.

Back