New bike-less member

insomnia

Hi, I signed up to the forum because I'm interested in the R18 B or TC, but I don't have one yet. I like the look of the First Edition, but I seem to have missed the train and need to buy a used one when an opportunity arises.

Some questions I have about the B/TC First Edition model year(s?):

* Were they manufactured for 1 model year only?

> If so, which year was that? I've read "Model year" 2021 and 2022, but also "Manufactured" 2021 and 2022.

> If not, were there any differences between the model years? Like exchanged parts, fixed bugs etc.

* When were they first available/delivered by dealers in Europe and America?

About the pin striping:

* Is the pin striping (and the "First Edition" emblems) the only thing that is unique to FE? Or does FE also have other unique styling or unique features not available in the standard version? (For example, I can't find the FE B/TC rims in the configurator - are they unavailable/discontinued now?)

* Apparently you can add pin striping when you order a new bike, but - if I understand correctly - only with a different pattern than FE?

Welcome! I have a "First Edition" Classic, but that was introduced approximately a year later than the "real" First Edition with the B and TC following in a similar pattern. So all were "FE" for their particular model of R18, but this stretched over more than one calendar year for their release(s). Others with a B or TC can clarify on their model, but for the "FE" and Classic package BMW included various combinations of extra chrome, unique paint/pin striping, reverse, driving lights, windscreen, etc.

Some great deals still to be found if you check nationwide on new and I've also seen several dealers showing "used" and/or demo bikes with a couple hundred miles on the clock at just "stoopid" low pricing that would more than make a fly and ride or shipping well worth the effort.

Good luck and search the forum while your waiting for others to chip in.

Thanks! I like the Classic too, actually I like all R18 models, they all look stunning! I've been considering Pure and Classic as well, but I think the B/TC with their added features, hard panniers and wind protection would suit me better.

Yes I've noticed the price on demo bikes have dropped dramatically, one wonders why they are that hard to get rid of. No drop in current list prices for new orders though from what I can see.

Thanks! I like the Classic too, actually I like all R18 models, they all look stunning! I've been considering Pure and Classic as well, but I think the B/TC with their added features, hard panniers and wind protection would suit me better.

Yes I've noticed the price on demo bikes have dropped dramatically, one wonders why they are that hard to get rid of. No drop in current list prices for new orders though from what I can see.

2022 R 18 B & R 18 TRANSCONTINENTAL WITH 0% APR FINANCING + 4 MONTHS PAYMENTS ON BMW + $3,000 CUSTOMER CASH​

https://ironhorsemotorcycles.com/BMW-Year-End-Offer

Thanks, I haven't seen that before. I've been focusing on the FE so much and I don't think you can order new FE's any longer. But since you can get such great deals on demos/used I think I would rather go that route anyway.

There are a few of us who fell under the spell of the classic FE, then ended up selling it to get the TC. Reasons vary. For me it was my wife's comfort as a passenger. The FE was atrocious for her. The TC is like riding a unicorn to her. Point is - think about your situation... if you're a solo rider, the Classic FE is a great choice. If you have a fussy passenger, maybe not so much.

It'ill be solo riding most of the time, two up will be around 2-3 times a year. But I'm leaning towards the B or TC anyway, because of features and wind protection.
Some members seem to have experience of multiple R18's - am I right thinking that the difference in wind protection between Classic and B is considerable, while the TC doesn't add very much over the B?

Hi,

I had a Classic and now a B FE.

The B has automatic suspension adjustment, a much bigger gas tank, heated seat and grips, active cruise control, large screen, radio, fairing, locking hard bags, and a rather quirky nav system via the BMW Motorrad app.

The current incentives, including significant cash and zero percent financing at a time of high inflation, are a big plus. I’d finance even if I had the money in hand, given the zero rate.

The B and TC are both heavier bikes than the naked version and the Classic. But there’s an argument that the bigger models also have more ground clearance and more agile steering geometry. At speed, they may actually handle better.

Dealers are eager to give test rides at the moment, so ask to check out the entire lineup.

Don’t know where you live. MAX BMW here in New England has all of them, including used and demos. They just got a TC in that wild blue, purple, silver fade.

Good luck with the decision!

The gentleman above makes an excellent point. The ground clearance is better on the TC. I had a devil of a time getting the Classic onto and off of my trailer. It would tend to bottom out on the lift gate transition. Don't have that problem with the TC.

I’d finance even if I had the money in hand, given the zero rate.
I'm not a rich guy, but this time I actually have the money and I'll probably just pay to have peace of mind. I hate loans and financial planning - perhaps why I'm not a rich guy... 😂

I didn't know about the ground clearance, good to know. I think all the features steer me towards the B or TC. I'm a little afraid that if I buy the B, I'm gonna miss the extra wind protection on the TC. Well one can add that later albeit at a much greater cost I would assume.

If getting a used B or TC, can I just assume that the earlier FE's are identical to the later FE's? Or were there any recalls or additions during that relatively short period?

Last edited:
Hi,

I had a Classic and now a B FE.

The B has automatic suspension adjustment, a much bigger gas tank, heated seat and grips, active cruise control, large screen, radio, fairing, locking hard bags, and a rather quirky nav system via the BMW Motorrad app.

The current incentives, including significant cash and zero percent financing at a time of high inflation, are a big plus. I’d finance even if I had the money in hand, given the zero rate.

The B and TC are both heavier bikes than the naked version and the Classic. But there’s an argument that the bigger models also have more ground clearance and more agile steering geometry. At speed, they may actually handle better.

Dealers are eager to give test rides at the moment, so ask to check out the entire lineup.

Don’t know where you live. MAX BMW here in New England has all of them, including used and demos. They just got a TC in that wild blue, purple, silver fade.

Good luck with the decision!
This information is spot on. During my short ownership of the Bagger, have found that I like the suspension on the Bagger over the Classic. I still have scraped the floorboards while in a curve, but I think the Bagger has a better lean angle than the Standard or Classic. Since I traded my Classic in on the Bagger, I didn't pursue the special financing that BMW was offering.

I'm hoping that the weather is better here this coming weekend so I can get out and put some miles on my bike.

If money is not a concern, at least you feel you could buy any of them, and you’re OK with the weight of the TC or a bagger then either of those would be hard to pass up. Plus adaptive cruise control would be really really sweet on a bike I feel.

Last edited:
I've never had speakers on a bike, I've been using ear plugs. So how great does it sound compared to ear plugs? And does sound quality decrease a lot at higher speeds?

and you’re OK with the weight of the TC or a bagger
Is it really that big of a difference compared to Pure/Classic? I've ridden the bagger for a short test, at least that limited experience didn't scare me off. Perhaps I need to ride them all, but I have a long way to nearest dealer.
And how does TC/B handling compare to similar cruisers from HD, Indian, Triumph, japanese brands?

The Marshall system starts to lose its charm and/or effectiveness under two conditions: Speeds over 60 mph, and if you use the bass boost setting at higher volume levels. The subwoofers in the luggage cases start to bottom out at higher levels. At low to mid volume levels, the bass boost sounds rich and full. For higher volumes, use the "balanced" setting. As to the weight, it is noticeably heavier than the Classic. I have to back my bike out of my garage, down a steel ramp, into grass. I always feel like I'm half a twitch from laying it down every time I take it out.

Thanks a lot, really helpful. Over 60 mph it's understandable that sound quality is degrading. I just watched some reviews on youtube and the R18 Marshall system seemed to outbeat what HD and Indian has to offer. But I wonder can the rear speakers really handle heavy rain?

Reviews and comments often complains about vibration on the R18. On my short ride on the bagger it didn't bother me at all though, I kind of felt it was there but too little to be disturbing. On longer trips it would perhaps add to fatigue, I wouldn't know.

Back