Navigation on the Bagger & TC Models

Brodo.Waggins

Site Supporter
For you owners of the B and TC bikes, do you use the Navigation on the bike? I did 200 miles with it today and I am not a fan. I couldn't figure out how to route the directions to my helmet, even though its connected. The directions don't mention exit numbers. Maybe I'm using it wrong. It also takes a few minutes for the maps to show up on the display, which makes getting going a bit slower.

Does anyone here use the navigation and actually like it? Any tips/tricks?

Naa, I watched plenty of reviews beforehand (so eyes wide open), tried it once, and went right back to waze/google maps on bar mounted phone. I understand it's the same screen they use on the KT(not sure if the software is the same, but I assume so),but I have no idea how old the system is. The combination of 2005 navigation style and super weird wifi phone connect thing makes me think it was one or both of the following:

1) They planned a more integrated in house system that just never panned out in time. As I understand it BMW has a pretty sordid history with apple car play and android auto. Not sure if it's money, IP, or pride, but it does seem like they went out of their way to make something more technically and user complicated.
2) Supply issues. As another user stated in a different thread, supposedly the phone cubby was supposed to support wireless charging, but sourcing the tech wasn't working. Could be that they had to make a system that worked with what was available, knowing they didn't want to launch and push a new model they couldn't get the chips necessary to keep the assembly line moving.

I like the screen in general. The smart trip meter thing is actually something I didn't know was a thing but love having it up all of the time. Seeing tire pressure constantly is nice as well. While I found connecting my phone and headset to the bike caused too many issues with comms, it is nice to be able to use the media wheel thing to skip tracks with just the phone connected, playing through my helmet. I have playlists with a bunch of "like the band, downloaded their newest album, and threw the three most popular tracks on that genre playlist", so seeing artist/track name on the screen is nice when it's something I don't recognize and want to remember.

Who knows, maybe over time they will update the software to work some of the kinks out, or (obviously a longshot for a not Harley) there will be aftermarket swap options. Last one is a pipe dream considering it would probably cost $3,000 and may not even be very possible with BMW canbus craziness. At the end of the day, I didn't buy the bike for the screen, so finding much useful/helpful ways to use it is a bonus. Adaptive cruise is a game changer for highway legs, first time having a heated seat which is awesome, the self leveling rear shock is so much easier than twisting a preload thing, and reverse is something I didn't think I'd use but end up using every time I ride (if for no reason other than to watch a cloud of envy rise lol).

I sold my 2008 R1200 GS Adventure (96,688 miles) in order to get into something like a HD Street Glide or Road Glide, primarily I wanted the bells & whistles that my buddy's bikes had (Navigation and Music); I went with the R 18 B and use the Motorrad Connect app all the time, while listening to Prime Music.

I record all of my rides, and decide to either delete them or save them to ride again later in the future; sometimes I'll export them into the HD Ride Planner (online & free, and works amazingly well) and make some edits and then import the route back into the BMW app.

I typically start my music first and let it run in the background; then I start the BMW Motorrad Connect app and also let that run in the background. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth needs to be set to "ON", and I disable the Notifications while riding. I plug my phone (Motorola Flip Razr) into the USB charger and tuck it into the phone compartment and hit the road.

If wearing my full face helmet; no issues with taking calls using the embedded speaker/mic within my helmet; I do remember that you have to choose where you want the music output to point (Helmet or Speakers) within the Setup menu. I mostly used a 2/3 Helmet, where I listened to music via speakers and used the Navigation Map Screen for planned trips and such; phone-calls aren't an option in this configuration as my 2/3 Helmet doesn't have a communications system.

I admit, I'm still learning new trick and shortcuts using the Motorrad Connect app; but it is meeting my expectations thus far. NOTE: I haven't figured out how to save routes or rides within the "SAVED" folder. Not great riding weather today, I might good out to the garage and see about figuring it out..

I hope this helped..

I used it for the first time on Saturday and thought it was great tbh. I had everything muted though and was just following the map in the right side of the split screen. Directions were clear including distance to turns etc. I don’t have a helmet comms system so can’t comment on that.

I had CarPlay in my 7 series and would rather they used that but I’m sure if I used it more often, id get used to the motorrad app. I have used it for recording previous rides which is a cool feature.

I use it and really like the large screen or splitting music and nav in one screen. I like having phone secured in cubby vs on a hder on bars.

The lack of exit number is bad, I missed a turn on a 1k mile day ride last Sunday due to this. I do the zoom in and out a lot to try to mitigate that after but overall the pandora playing as media and maps from app work really well for me.

Delay? Yes! Turn bike on but not running while you finish gearing up. Once ready, staft engine and you are good to leave assuming connections all worked. At home I have to turn my phones auto reconnect to my home wifi off so that it doesnt mess up my bike routine but other than that it has all worked good so far.

I was really hoping with the USB connection in the Phone compartment, that it would bypass WIFI, and be direct connected to the TFT, thus the WIFI networking wouldn’t be required. But alas, it’s just a charging port. :-(
Saving your routes, is not difficult, although bringing them up through the TFT is not super intuitive. It definitely could be better.

Adam Chandler on Youtube, who works for TomTom who’s the supplier of the maps in use with the App! He’s posted some great video’s, and one of them is focused on Connectivity from the App to the Bike.

I did notice on his phone, the sure number of Wifi Networks on his phone when he was filming about it.
There’s one thing I know, working for a Networking company. Keeping your phone clean, of Network Profiles, will allow for a cleaner connection with the TFT Display.

Apple, especially with their Updates, around security, will sometimes alter this. So you just have to revisit, from time to time.

I still believe in the Pure Riding Mode of the display, more can be done to provide quick links/macros to commonly used things, one of which could be around Saved Rides that automatically launch the Navigation display.

Goob

Back