My reality

Randy Kahn

Best thing about the bike...The looks. 2023 Anniversary Model.
So...decided to take a quick hop out for a bite because the weather is good and I'm trying to log 600 miles so I can do my service. My quick hop turned into a 5 hour Cluster F. I was riding out to Malibu and back, there is normally light to no traffic this time of day. I decided to take an alternate route back that would take me partially back on Pacific Coast Hwy and through Topanga canyon.
Easy peasy...Except Topanga Canyon was closed and traffic was bumper to bumper on PCH heading North so I couldn't turn around. This is where the Cluster F part of the story comes in....I had to go down to Sunset Blvd. bumper to bumper, a light every two blocks, kids getting out of school, all the way to a jam packed freeway and take the long way back stop and go for 4 hours.
The point...this bike is not designed for this. In stop and go city traffic this bike is a F'in tractor...from the way it handles, shifts, brakes, et.et. I did get a few Ohhhs and Awwws from people at lights, and a bus driver. This is an open road bike....Probably most of you know this. I did buy the bike based on looks so I shouldn't complain. The bike is georgous, but not by any means the best handling et.et bike I've owned....

I’ve been to La, and the struggle is real…but I would like to introduce to the jury exhibit B, “Houston”. Not very friendly at all. I don’t know what you experience, but my bike had no more problems than any V twin.

I have two bikes and prefer the R18 to the Fatboy. Yes the R18 is gorgeous and elegant but it also has a butter smooth drive train. The Fatboy does not have a rubber mounted engine like the HD touring bikes, and so has a micro buzz annoyance.

Yea Randy, think you scored an ‘own goal’ there. I hate traffic and getting stuck in it is horrible. At least you got some nice compliments 👍

I knew my B was not the ideal commuter for city traffic in London, where you get zillions of scooters couriers driving around like maniacs, cyclists (not all of them) making their own rules because they think the Highway Code does not apply to them, transit vans drivers basically owning the road, no f*cks given and even some bus drivers using their size and pulling away from the bus stop without looking because they have put their indicators on to let you know they are moving towards you, not to mention pedestrians engrossed on their phones and crossing the roads because they feel it is their right to do so, yet I ride to work every time unless is tipping down with rain and I split lanes ever time is safe to do so.
It is sad, but I always look forward to my work commute on the bike because riding motorcycles has been one passion I have had since I was a teenager and certainly the B contributes to that therapeutic session.
Many times I have thought about getting a hairdryer for my commute but then I have a look at my B, remember my past experiences and the thoughts suddenly vanishes and I am happy again.

I have to agree this bike is not for the feint hearted in traffic jams , i love this machine , other thing i noticed is that i have started to get numb finger on my right hand after about an hour riding , any one out there tried hush puppies ? otherwise its great .

I have to agree this bike is not for the feint hearted in traffic jams , i love this machine , other thing i noticed is that i have started to get numb finger on my right hand after about an hour riding , any one out there tried hush puppies ? otherwise its great .
I was getting numbness in my left hand, which I've never experienced before riding, so I'm sure it's because of the vibrations. I installed Grip Puppies two days ago, and it significantly reduced the vibration in the grips. It's not gone, but it feels much better now.

Love my Grip Puppies.

Back