My $23,000 Boat Anchor thanks BMW

Which dealer is this? I can’t understand how or why BMW would refuse to investigate your concerns (pound sand as you put it). Its not like a cheapo back street dodgy dealership. A new bike has factory warranty, in use it will pick up marks and scratches but it should start out life mint. An unregistered bike shouldn’t have any road miles or damage on it and if a part got scratched being wheeled about in the workshop (say a pannier case lid) because stuff happens then surely they‘d order in a new factory painted part and just replace it? Not get it sprayed up round the back with a rattle can? Its all weird.

For your bike to be so messed with its like it’s actually fallen off the delivery truck, but even if it had I would expect BMW to just scrap it and send it back to Germany for disposal. The bike‘s VIN should be traceable and there must be a record somewhere on their computer systems from the moment the bikes ‘born’, a timeline, exactly where it’s been, for how long and whether any snagging has been done to it. In the same way they know when bikes have had recall work and servicing done. Reading between the lines are they incinuating you‘ve dropped your bike and had it patched up or are they saying they are all the same, which clearly they are not. You haven’t said why they are not sorting this out.

You must have consumer rights,
I too second this. I have been following this thread carefully and hearing all views and sentiments.

OP has all the rights to feel outraged, I would too.
There is no way this bike left the factory this way, it is virtually impossible and no, I don’t work for BMW, nor am I affiliated in any way, shape of form.
These bikes goes through a rigorous quality control process throughout the buildup process at the factory, where more than half the tasks are performed by robots, with a precision second to none, that is a fact and none one can argue that.

Seeing the pictures, it looks like parts were not aligned properly which then again, it won’t happen at the factory, therefore I can only think that outside the factory something took place or someone not well qualified to do things had to disassemble and assemble things to certain level but then again, why? From factory these bikes comes fully assembled, probably the windshield comes off and wrapped, the handlebars may be loosened a bit to accommodate fitting inside the crate, mirrors off and other minor stuff. Nothing like drive shafts, swing arms etc will be off because the bike will be tested on a rolling platform throughout the gears changes, brakes, clutch etc.

Assuming that the bike was not involved in an accident before being sold, and this could have been an accident driving the bike in the forecourt of the dealership or being dropped from the lorry when being delivered at the dealership, I cannot think of anything else that could have caused such catastrophic consequences. One may assume that the dealership could ask BMW for a replacement if this was the case but scrapping a motor does not come cheap and certainly it won’t be free, therefore someone had to pay a premium, whether by means on insurance or another alternative but then again, once the bike leaves the factory and is at the hands of the dealership, they will be responsible and liable for the bike and if something happens to it under their care then they will need to pay or sort something out, in this case do the honest thing and claim on the insurance (if they can afford the consequences) or do the dishonest thing and try to patch things out and then flog the bike to distance themselves from liabilities.
My question to the OP and by no means being disrespectful, but did you notice something odd when you took the bike home like pulling to one side or not driving well in general? You have consumers rights and a 3 year warranty on the vehicle, therefore use these to protect yourself. Claims from dealerships like, oh that is the way they ride, or it is normal, sounds like they know you are onto something and they are trying to send you off the track because they know it is on them.
Another advice, do not try to dismantle things to further investigate causes or clues because in doing so I bet you all I have, they will use this against you to void any warranty.

I too second this. I have been following this thread carefully and hearing all views and sentiments.

OP has all the rights to feel outraged, I would too.
There is no way this bike left the factory this way, it is virtually impossible and no, I don’t work for BMW, nor am I affiliated in any way, shape of form.
These bikes goes through a rigorous quality control process throughout the buildup process at the factory, where more than half the tasks are performed by robots, with a precision second to none, that is a fact and none one can argue that.

Seeing the pictures, it looks like parts were not aligned properly which then again, it won’t happen at the factory, therefore I can only think that outside the factory something took place or someone not well qualified to do things had to disassemble and assemble things to certain level but then again, why? From factory these bikes comes fully assembled, probably the windshield comes off and wrapped, the handlebars may be loosened a bit to accommodate fitting inside the crate, mirrors off and other minor stuff. Nothing like drive shafts, swing arms etc will be off because the bike will be tested on a rolling platform throughout the gears changes, brakes, clutch etc.

Assuming that the bike was not involved in an accident before being sold, and this could have been an accident driving the bike in the forecourt of the dealership or being dropped from the lorry when being delivered at the dealership, I cannot think of anything else that could have caused such catastrophic consequences. One may assume that the dealership could ask BMW for a replacement if this was the case but scrapping a motor does not come cheap and certainly it won’t be free, therefore someone had to pay a premium, whether by means on insurance or another alternative but then again, once the bike leaves the factory and is at the hands of the dealership, they will be responsible and liable for the bike and if something happens to it under their care then they will need to pay or sort something out, in this case do the honest thing and claim on the insurance (if they can afford the consequences) or do the dishonest thing and try to patch things out and then flog the bike to distance themselves from liabilities.
My question to the OP and by no means being disrespectful, but did you notice something odd when you took the bike home like pulling to one side or not driving well in general? You have consumers rights and a 3 year warranty on the vehicle, therefore use these to protect yourself. Claims from dealerships like, oh that is the way they ride, or it is normal, sounds like they know you are onto something and they are trying to send you off the track because they know it is on them.
Another advice, do not try to dismantle things to further investigate causes or clues because in doing so I bet you all I have, they will use this against you to void any warranty.
I think everyone following this agrees there is no way in hell this bike left the factory this way. And dropping it during transport would not cause this. This bike was severely damaged and thrown half ass back together. And that doesn't even answer the question of why some of the parts they did reassemble it with look used, worn and aged....

Last edited:
1. Review your State's Lemon Law(s)

2. Write a letter to the President of Customer Service in BMW North America, send it via certified signature receipt mail; be clear with the facts and provide supporting documentation. You should be able to find that person's name on the website.

They will most likely want to keep you in the BMW brand, if your bike qualifies to be returned via Lemon Law; you should consider what you want BMW to do for you in this situation (new bike or refund).

3. If no communication and or an agreement can't be reached; perhaps, seek legal counsel on what next steps can be taken.

I went through something similar with Land Rover North America concerning my 2018 Range Rover Diesel; they took back the truck and refunded my money, I now drive a Tesla Model Y Performance, with the Cyber Truck set in my sights...

I think everyone following this agrees there is no way in hell this bike left the factory this way. And dropping it during transport would not cause this. This bike was severely damaged and thrown half ass back together. And that doesn't even answer the question of why the parts they did reassemble it with look used, worm and aged....
I agree 100% ... I have my quarrels with some of the BMW corporate philosophies (No manual and such) ... and I have have a beef with some dealerships about the highway robbery they call 'Service' ... but no way that bike left the factory in that condition!! ... just my 2¢

I agree 100% ... I have my quarrels with some of the BMW corporate philosophies (No manual and such) ... and I have have a beef with some dealerships about the highway robbery they call 'Service' ... but no way that bike left the factory in that condition!! ... just my 2¢
The fit, finish, and quality control .....leaving aside the occasional mechanical issue they normally take care of immediately, IS the reason most of us buy these damn things. As I said....there are MUCH cheaper bikes that are faster, may handle better, stop better, are as comfortable or more so, et.et. BUT that aren't a BMW!!!

Irodemine,

Can you respond please to my question #20 on the chain? Concerning exactly how you purchased and took delivery of the bike?

It was brand new from the dealer supposedly..?? Correct??

This "issue" your dealing with should be of concern to R18 owners in general.....If this is how Motorrad handles serious problems....this needs to be addressed....

Meet the new BMW guys. this is their modus operandi. I was sold a defective R18 and had to go to the mattresses with a lawyer to get them to fix it. I am a lifetime BMW rider and won't purchase another.

Because I have had some not so pleasant past experiences on new BMW bikes I’ve bought, 2 days before I purchased this one when the sales kid texted that this bike was still in its crate, that’s all I needed to hear, I was comfortable and went and bought it. I was still being someone cautious, asking for him to text me a pic of the bike as it sat, a selfie if you will, and he sent on of the bike on the rack and tech supposedly performing the PDI. Anyhow, 2 days later I went in and bought it.
Being told the bike was in the shipping crate 2 days prior I was comfortable and didn’t fine tooth comb the bike when down there. I bought Akrapovic slip ons, because I’m a great BMW customer and give them money for all my accessories, tires, service, all of it, and the dealer installed them before I rode home. I had my sales kid give me a copy of PDI Ro which I did not look at until later once home.
Within 2 stop lights from heading home I pulled back into service and asked the manager wtf was up with all the shaking back n forth….”normal characteristics of the boxer engine” I left again. Mostly highway miles to the house around 65 miles.
Pulled in garage and first I knew the slip ons were coming off, the made the bike actually quieter, seriously, they were coming off and going back. The bike shook and vibrated the entire way home with the steering feeling vague if that makes sense. Enough that I knew it was more than this is how these bikes are. Now I get out the fine tooth comb.
Looking at the tires first I see the date codes, 40/20 on the front & 51/20 on the rear. Now I’m pissed off. It was Saturday night, I had to wait 2 days until they opened on Tuesday.

2 days of looking underneath, on top of and sideways at the bike and all paperwork given to me. Before hitting the rack that night while looking at paperwork, I get another sucker punch to the gut when I see the date on the PDI RO, dated just over 30 days before purchase. I also see the Internal labor line the tech where the tech flagged 2.3 hrs with his story being “finish bike assembly”
I’ve been a service advisor for most my adult life, 12 of which for a BMW automotive dealership. There isn’t anything, unfortunately almost, that I don’t know about the business which is essentially the exact same, cars or bikes. I’m now more than pissed I’m also ready to puke.
First thing Sunday morning it was time to get the Akrapovic slip ons off and stock mufflers back on. I’ve done this several times on my other BMW bikes, each time it was obvious why they are called slip ons, because they slip on and slip off. 3 hrs later on this R18b and I flat out cannot get the left side muffler on all the way. Lube, oil, didn’t matter the f er wasn’t goin on. Yes, even more pissed now.

Sorry guys I’m getting tired I’m going to continue after some dinner. I owe it to those interested in this story to be as complete and as accurate as possible, thanks for having the interest in it I appreciate it. Back in a few

Because I have had some not so pleasant past experiences on new BMW bikes I’ve bought, 2 days before I purchased this one when the sales kid texted that this bike was still in its crate, that’s all I needed to hear, I was comfortable and went and bought it. I was still being someone cautious, asking for him to text me a pic of the bike as it sat, a selfie if you will, and he sent on of the bike on the rack and tech supposedly performing the PDI. Anyhow, 2 days later I went in and bought it.
Being told the bike was in the shipping crate 2 days prior I was comfortable and didn’t fine tooth comb the bike when down there. I bought Akrapovic slip ons, because I’m a great BMW customer and give them money for all my accessories, tires, service, all of it, and the dealer installed them before I rode home. I had my sales kid give me a copy of PDI Ro which I did not look at until later once home.
Within 2 stop lights from heading home I pulled back into service and asked the manager wtf was up with all the shaking back n forth….”normal characteristics of the boxer engine” I left again. Mostly highway miles to the house around 65 miles.
Pulled in garage and first I knew the slip ons were coming off, the made the bike actually quieter, seriously, they were coming off and going back. The bike shook and vibrated the entire way home with the steering feeling vague if that makes sense. Enough that I knew it was more than this is how these bikes are. Now I get out the fine tooth comb.
Looking at the tires first I see the date codes, 40/20 on the front & 51/20 on the rear. Now I’m pissed off. It was Saturday night, I had to wait 2 days until they opened on Tuesday.

2 days of looking underneath, on top of and sideways at the bike and all paperwork given to me. Before hitting the rack that night while looking at paperwork, I get another sucker punch to the gut when I see the date on the PDI RO, dated just over 30 days before purchase. I also see the Internal labor line the tech where the tech flagged 2.3 hrs with his story being “finish bike assembly”
I’ve been a service advisor for most my adult life, 12 of which for a BMW automotive dealership. There isn’t anything, unfortunately almost, that I don’t know about the business which is essentially the exact same, cars or bikes. I’m now more than pissed I’m also ready to puke.
First thing Sunday morning it was time to get the Akrapovic slip ons off and stock mufflers back on. I’ve done this several times on my other BMW bikes, each time it was obvious why they are called slip ons, because they slip on and slip off. 3 hrs later on this R18b and I flat out cannot get the left side muffler on all the way. Lube, oil, didn’t matter the f er wasn’t goin on. Yes, even more pissed now.

Sorry guys I’m getting tired I’m going to continue after some dinner. I owe it to those interested in this story to be as complete and as accurate as possible, thanks for having the interest in it I appreciate it. Back in a few
No need to continue on my account. I just wanted to make certain I hadn't missed anything. You bought the bike brand new is THE only thing I wanted to confirm. Just wondering if they did a bait and switch with you....
Show you a crated bike, deliver a completely different bike to you....? In any case, file a complaint with DMV if you haven't already, and use the term bait and switch. I was running a Honda dealership in Beverly Hills and an attorney called DMV on us and used the term Bait and Switch in his complaint. There was no bait and switch going on, we just advertised a lost leader that was $1000 under cost...but only ONE, that particular serial number. That as you know brought a lot of people in over that weekend and I took it out of my ad budget. You know all about this....meanwhile DMV was there within 3 hours of him calling them and they were ready to lock down the dealership on the spot had I not had everything in order. The attorney wanted ANOTHER one at that price....of course....
Meanwhile you gotta fight this....it's outrageous!!!

I’m going to provide more specifics which will answer many questions being asked. I’m hesitant to disclose who my selling dealer was simply because of the terms and rules of this site, which I do not want to violate and result in all my post being deleted and kicked off the site. One of the rules is we cannot share personal information about others etc etc, which i kinda think posting where and from who I purchased from would be doing. Yes l, I bought it from a BMW dealership, yes the bike was sold as “new”, and yes and this is based on my past personal experiences with BMWNA and another dealer, I’ve gone and attempted to climb the proper chain of command. This site and this thread is where those efforts brought me. Squa doosh valley. Trust me, I have gone and went way over and above, respectfully, most other would go regarding playing nice and just wanting this all handled. As I’ll share, these efforts were not only for not, the responses I received were some of the most disrespecting that I’ve ever experienced before, honestly. I was yes told to pound sand and given directions to the beach. Lastly before I break, again, everything I have and will share I have it all documented with pics which are time dated in regards to any thoughts that I may be responsible. Many personal friends and associates whom I’ve shared this with many who don’t even own bikes all reacted similarly, “no way dude, that’s crazy, that’s or you are nutz”….There are many variables and many worldly events that have happened that play their part in my story. You gotta think Big picture, I personally have zero to do with any of it, think money, big money BMW profits, and what big corporations are willing to do, have to do, in a way they feel they are forced to do based on economics and word events…(Covid), and things they decide to do. Think outside of this thread and my story, it isn’t hard to figure out…inventory…..new year….stale inventory…..must move them…..gotta give them what they want…make it happen, incentives….no payments 90 days, …make first 4 payment up to $333….( “ wait, it’s June now and I won’t be making a payment on this 2023 R18b until Jan 2024??!!!) where do I sign? …bikes in its crate? Let’s do this….sorry definitely went a little ramble there, however, it’s what it is, back to the bike in a bit with more pics

Big picture...sounds like the Mob owns this dealership...get the $$$ then F off!!
So what is the plan? Did you say you had an attorney originally that claimed best he could do is recover your costs?
I don't think you need to elaborate to the group further about what happened. What are your options?
The dealership is saying you took the bike....end of story....so they could care less. So it appears ALL they care about is $$$.
I would be thinking...how do I cost them money??? If you can cut into their new sales that costs them $$. Every deal they are aware of they lose because of how they screwed you starts to effect them.

Because posting all that crap is nauseating probably for most of you too, I have to change gears before going back to the narrative….so pics, left side at frame lower center chrome teardrop plastic cover of the swingarm pivot, the exhaust/heat shield touches the chrome cover. It has actually rubbed a groove in it. The same left side where that has the massive gap between the frame and swingarm. Which means the swingarm is positioned too far right in relation to center of the frame. This is causing the driveshaft to not only been at an unacceptable angle but also not aligned left to right. Again, documented in week one of owning.

May as well at least finish from earlier, cliff notes version. Returned to dealer a week after purchase. They were not hearing me as they said over and over that my tires are safe etc etc. I said it’s not about my tires being safe or not but where they were for the over 2 years prior to bike being built….could not get an answer at all. Imagine, trying to play nice.
Then, I asked the GM for a copy of the PDI Ro, which he did not know I already had a copy. He returned 30 mins later and handed my the copy. The only thing that was the same on what he handed me and the copy I already had was the RO number. Story, techs notes techs times, Ro lines all different. This time the “proper PDI checklist was at least attached, but the techs signature and his date were a week before the Ro was even generated!!! Cannot make this stuff up. I said to the GM, let’s go have a private conversation. I gave him everything I knew. When I asked why on earth he would be paying his tech over 2 hrs labor internal labor on the PDI Ro, he said that he guessed he was just a nice guy. Cannot make this up. Meanwhile his right hand gorilla came back saying bike was out front and the muffler is all the way on and heat shield is adjusted. When I asked him what he did to get it on he said he know some tricks. No really, what did you do I asked. “Took a rubber mallet to the end of the muffle and pounded until it slid all the way on” I almost pounded him right then and there. Meanwhile now the service manager has joined the circus because with their faces rather white they couldn’t explain what they had in their hands, the “made up” repair orders. Fast forward, we will be in touch Sir, in the meantime, don’t expect BMWNA to authorize new tires for you, no go pound sand. Unfortunately at that moment, I didn’t want to make a big mistake and needed to leave before I said something I’d regret or put hands on somebody. I left not without any warm and fuzzy feelings of assistance as a customer but a who the f am I and how could I be dropping this on them. I immediately knew I wouldn’t be returning to my selling dealer for any reason.

Anyhow for now, see pics. How the hell do you think the bike rides? Like I’m busting concrete with a jackhammer.

My previous post about my opinion on the big picture, now add to that whatever “incident” took place at the dealer level, which the ROs show. They can’t argue against their own damn documents. I believe from BMWNA perspective, big picture, is the #1 reason regarding not receiving any assistance whatsoever is that on this and “these” particular bikes which they may or may not have any responsibility in, would be if taken bike would then be BMW’s boat anchors. Many replies have been about Frankensteined the bike together, fell off the lift, totaled and pieced together, and I say yes, yes, and yes you are all on the right track. I’ll never know, nobody other than dealer and BMW will ever know, hell I DONT want to know. I don’t want answers, I don’t care at all, I want it all to go away and to be riding. I’m posting this thread just to see what comes of it all. I won’t be in any worse position than I am already be posting. And again, I’m trying to play nice, the thought of getting an attorney sucks bad, I’d rather not and only because the few that I have spoke to are donkeys. The don’t know bikes and unfortunately the have less patience then anyone. The don’t allow themselves to listen and understand the narrative long enough to see how strong of a case it really is. If I do end up with an attorney, so help me if he is the best of the best period. Think BMW VS GORE, look it up. If going down that road that’s where it’s gonna take me

Attachments

• IMG_4418.png
    IMG_4418.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4419.png
    IMG_4419.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4420.png
    IMG_4420.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4422.jpeg
    IMG_4422.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4425.png
    IMG_4425.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Side case lid, inner lip on one side painted, other side of lid not, it’s primer.

The tire on left side is what came on my bike “new” the tire on the right is an identical tire except date code is early 2023. Both Commander III. Bike had just under 1000 miles when removed. I had cobra chromes on for a couple hundred miles which believe it or not had the bike behaving even worse! So bought new commanders but before installing I compared. The inner liner of those that came with bike is gone, eroded away I dunno just gone. Was told be a few only way that happens is when a tube isn’t installed properly or run with a flat. R18b doesn’t use tubes and I certainly didn’t run it flat. Anyway, I wont turn this into a tire thread so that’s that, just see pic

Attachments

• IMG_4426.png
    IMG_4426.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4427.png
    IMG_4427.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4428.png
    IMG_4428.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 31
This is like one of the early cases in the used car business that was responsible for all the consumer protection laws and regulations.
I would never get on that bike again. Find a decent attorney, there must be one somewhere...If you don't want to incur the costs of a legal battle,
take the bike to the mall and leave it in the parking lot unlocked. Check on it until it's gone....F it!!

This is like one of the early cases in the used car business that was responsible for all the consumer protection laws and regulations.
I would never get on that bike again. Find a decent attorney, there must be one somewhere...If you don't want to incur the costs of a legal battle,
take the bike to the mall and leave it in the parking lot unlocked. Check on it until it's gone....F it!!
Or, at that same mall, start the bike up while sitting still and lock the throttle wide open until the engine detonates.

Or, at that same mall, start the bike up while sitting still and lock the throttle wide open until the engine detonates.
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like Motorrad will do jack shit for him.....No matter what....
Best bet....get a real attorney or hire someone to do a scathing full blown social media kill piece on BMW and the dealer.

If there is public parking in front of the dealer, park the bike there with signs about the total scam the dealer did to him.....

Meanwhile.....sue or hope the bike disappears.....

The only other thing we can do as BMW customers....is to ALL sign on to a letter to the director of BMW Motorrad asking for an explanation on his behalf.

I am ore than happy to do that.....maybe IF there is enough of us he'll get a response....

This could have happened to any one of us.....

Guys, I know we all sympathise with the OP and hand on my heart, I wish he did not have to go through this kind of experience, it is simply unfair “but” unless I am wrong or misunderstood something, I have not seen one bit here that suggests this is an act by BMW as a company trying to flog a faulty good on a loyal customer.
For what I have read here, it seems like the dealership has done something unethical and wrong. We all know attorneys are not cheap and if one cannot afford one at the moment, that is pretty understandable.
I don’t know the US laws and therefore I don’t know what laws guards you over misconduct or rogues practices over there, but I would like to think there are organisations and laws, like the famous lemon law I hear from time to time over here, that could help the OP.

If this was me,
1- I would do an online search first to document myself on what my rights are as consumer and what responsibilities and due care obligations the dealership has.

2- Assuming there is a body or regulatory entity that oversees cases like this, I would write to them and document everything to the last detail. Dates, person names/ positions, places etc.
Very important to stick to the facts to avoid getting caught on any doubt or questions regarding actions/facts etc.

3- As I am not sure how things work in the US, in the UK you can write to a member of the parliament, the one representing your constituency, to request assistance on the matter and see if his/her office can exercise some influence/investigate. Maybe in the US this is the equivalent of a Mayor or something similar.

4- Failure to get any results then contact the local press and put your story out there. Importan to stick to facts again as now your laundry will be aired on public and remember, none one at BMW/Motorrad NA has done nothing to you (unless you have contacted them already and your letters are falling on deaf ears)

5- No luck still? Then do contact Motorrad HQ and indulge them with all the details, facts and documents for them to investigate this dealership. In the end, the dealership is affiliated to Motorrad as a subsidiary and Motorrad cannot let one of its subsidiaries misrepresent the brand.

I truly hope this matter gets resolved quickly and with as little as possible distress to the OP.

Acting irrationally may cost you along the way. Be smart, be calm, you don’t have anything to hide or have done anything wrong.

Back