Moto Guzzi V7?

MilwDave

Site Supporter
I am going to take a look at a one year old Moto Guzzi V7 Stone w/ 800 miles on it this week.
I’m looking at if for my grandkids to ride. It’s a little over 400 lbs and is about the same price as the new Royal Enfield Super Meteor which an additional 100 lbs.
I was hoping to get some input here from anyone that has had Guzzi experience. I always thought they looked and sounded pretty cool.

18C2BC7D-637C-41CC-A13C-931788B36EE6.jpeg

I have a friend that has one it’s older with 30,000 miles. Nice bike handles and performs well no major problems. Dealer network is sparse. That’s his V7 next to my RT on the way back from a trip to the Blueridge.FA3F5B84-A9DB-4B34-9562-DF551D1E2954.jpeg

I have a friend that has one it’s older with 30,000 miles. Nice bike handles and performs well no major problems. Dealer network is sparse. That’s his V7 next to my RT on the way back from a trip to the Blueridge.View attachment 8761
I am always concerned about a dealership being available. I am fortunate to have a Guzzi dealership about 10 miles from my house.

I had a 2016 V7 Stornello for a short time.
Around 600 miles it developed an oil leak.
Motor was replaced under warranty but it took about four months to get it straightened out.
After I got it backed numerous other small issues kept coming up.
Dealer was about 100 miles away and I am not very mechanical.
Cut my loses and moved on.
Beautiful bike very frustrating.

I had a 2016 V7 Stornello for a short time.
Around 600 miles it developed an oil leak.
Motor was replaced under warranty but it took about four months to get it straightened out.
After I got it backed numerous other small issues kept coming up.
Dealer was about 100 miles away and I am not very mechanical.
Cut my loses and moved on.
Beautiful bike very frustrating.
The reviews I watched on YouTube and read online were highly complimentary to the new 850cc engine in the 2021.
I’m a pretty good wrench and do all my own work. I’m hoping someone with experience with the newer models can chip in here.

I am going to take a look at a one year old Moto Guzzi V7 Stone w/ 800 miles on it this week.
I’m looking at if for my grandkids to ride. It’s a little over 400 lbs and is about the same price as the new Royal Enfield Super Meteor which an additional 100 lbs.
I was hoping to get some input here from anyone that has had Guzzi experience. I always thought they looked and sounded pretty cool.

View attachment 8760
Ironically I was going to look at buying one of these when I ended up buying the R18. I was trading in a VTX1800F that I'd had for over ten years and was supposed to be looking at downsizing due to some spine surgeries I'd had. Let us know what you think of it, I'm interested to hear.

I like Guzzi’s. There is a lot of crossover between the R18 and the V7 850. The vibes, the thud, the shaft drive, they feel very ‘real’. The dealer network is very thin on the ground but it sounds like you have that nailed already. Guzzi is a small company at the end of the day and they are (I believe) almost hand built in modern terms. You can visit the factory and have a tour. It’s like a pilgrimage to many. It’s a very comfortable, well made, enjoyable bike and is very easy to ride (IMHO). Like the R18 they do have a service light that dealers turn off but it’s only a timer so if you want to home service you can, just ignore it. They go well enough but are not performance bikes. No doubt you’ve been looking but I would point you towards Mark Pulling (on YouTube) and The All Year Motorcyclist (again on YouTube) who have both captured (IMO) exactly what the bikes are like to ride.

There are a few forums you can look at, Guzziriders, GuzziTech, Wildgoose Chase.

BB6C756F-3CDE-4EBF-9988-13A371A608B6.jpeg66791780-C1A3-4645-B1F7-E36316C438FD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have owned many Italian motorcycles in the past, my personal experience with the brand is not that great parts come from Italy and it’s always 45/60 days for a simple fix or they ship whenever they feel like it. Service department has no clue about these bikes. It’s a headache to own an Italian motorcycle to ride, but if your looking for a garage queen or a bike that looks like a piece of art then go for it. Good luck with your search.

A friend of mine has owned Guzzis over the years. I have been fortunate enough to have ridden a couple of them; California, 85tt I think it is. Both bikes were fantastic rides and beautifully built. I know of one warranty issue that was handled quickly by his dealer. Both bikes suspension and brakes were great. They were not rockets stop light to stop light but adequately scoot you around. I wouldn’t hesitate to own a Guzzi.

I had 82 V50iii, 07 Norge, a several of 02-04 California’s. My current Guzzi is the 09 Calvin and she had seen three corners of the lower 48 states, California, Florida and Maine.

We have three Guzzi dealer here in Houston but that doesn’t mean that they know Guzzi’s. One very good independence mechanic, but he took forever. The nearest dealer that knows their stuff is 200 miles away… luckily, I have not had the needs to take my bike to anyone yet. To me Guzzis are very reliable motorcycles.

Attachments

• 20220325_093930.jpg
    20220325_093930.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 9
My local Bikes & Breakfast is mostly dominated by classic BMWs and MotoGuzzis. I have friends with both & I've considered adding a V7 to the fleet. There are a ton of similarities between the makes. Both have shaft drive & the cylinders out in the air flow. Both tend to have a mechanical clunk on the transmission. Both have the character of the bike rotating when revving the throttle. Both are easy to work on because the cylinder heads are sticking out. If anything modern Guzzi (new Mandello excepted) are pretty simple with minimal computer systems.

Dealers aren't widespread in the US, but the same goes for BMW. But the Guzzi and BMW tend to be pretty reliable. My /5 was 50 years old last year & runs perfectly. My friends have 70s BMWs & Guzzi's and have ridden cross country with both in the past year. Lack of dealers wasn't an issue for them as they didn't break down & any maintenance was easy to do roadside.

My ride prior to the R18 was a Guzzi Stone. Rode it from Newfoundland to Vancouver and vice versa. Also as far north as Inuvik and south to Veracruz Mexico. Never left me on the side of the road. Not as smooth as the R18 but if I was still a younger man....

Back