Loose/Lost License plate

Hi All,

New member here from the Boston area.

I lost my license plate the other day and spent the day riding around without a plate. Noticed it missing when getting gas.
After back tracking in my truck, I found it on the side of the road.
Come to find out, the plastic plate backing that you screw the license plate to was installed backwards. (The back of this plastic plate was facing out)
This caused the little rubber bracket screw anchors that spread when you put screws in them to not seat deep enough which allowed the plate to slip out and off.
In the pictures attached, You can see how the rubber anchor is not seated flush in the grove and should have been seated flat and nice in the flat surface area provided on the second picture where the screws are wrongly installed.
This was done at the dealer but I can see how it could happen.
For those of you with a US. plate, You may want to check your plate for tightness ever now and then.
Happy riding.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the tip! ... and I am glad you found it and that there was not much damage ... I had mine off when I changed the rear turn signals .. so I am pretty confident I got it right ;)

Same thing happened to me after 6 months. Went on a long trip only to get home and discover the plate along with the holder were missing. Took some finagling with various parts at CycleGear to fix it.

Same thing happened to me after 6 months. Went on a long trip only to get home and discover the plate along with the holder were missing. Took some finagling with various parts at CycleGear to fix it.
That sucks. My trip was an hour out and an hour back and I had no idea where it fell off. Luckily I found it only about 5 miles from my house.

Same issue on the European/Swedish plate holders. Luckily, I noticed my holder hanging loose coming home after a ride. In my case I believe it was the dealer not mounting it correctly when delivering the bike. It was mounted with two different and way too small screws to make it sit properly. After replacing the screws it stays firmly in place.

I actually checked my license plate bracket over the weekend; from what I can tell, it looks like my bracket was installed correctly.

I can see how some dealership "flunky" could install it backwards or incorrectly; it's a 50/50 % chance of getting it correct.... despite the recessed anchor points for providing a nice flush license plate mounting surface...

It's the small minor details that matter...

I've said it before, on low-torque (metal) nuts/bolts, blue locktite is my go-to, especially on parts that vibrate.

Blue Locktite.jpg
Looks like Lutke showed ONE more area I need to locktite on Alcina... :rolleyes:

Mike

Back