Local Dealer has 40 BMW on showroom floor, not a single R18

I believe the BMW factory is holding/limiting shipments of new R18's to control the retail/used pricing structure. It is the old strategy of demand/availability vs. cost. That is positive! The used market should see a price rise and new dealership sales should show an increase in profit margin.

Last edited:
I believe the BMW factory is holding/limiting shipments of new R18's to control the retail/used pricing structure. It is the old strategy of demand/availability vs. cost. That is positive! The used market should see a price rise and new dealership sales should show an increase in profit margin.
Hopefully you're right.

Is it just my dealer that has zero r18's. I get the hold-sale on the baggers with the adaptive headlight, but where are all the other r18's?
My shop had a new TC, a used B, a used First Edition Classic and a used R18 (standard). They sold all, but the R18 over the last couple of months so "steady" movement albeit more "tortoise" than the "hare"...

Such a great range of bikes that just can't seem to gain traction in the market. I have my ideas as to contributing factors, but at this point in time it's safe to say BMW's death by a thousand cuts was not the best approach. Hope they are close to a workable ROI strategy for both them as the OEM and certainly the dealers as the platform is worthy of their best efforts.

🍺🍿

I got my 2023 B in late September for a flipping SONG. No idea how long the dealer had it, but it was a no haggle deal and they gave me thousands off. Couldn’t say no.

So I get the artificial scarcity if that’s the game. I also wonder if folks will cross shop the R12 with the R18 and how that’ll play for the overall sales of the stripped down R18s.

+1 if that’s true then that’s great news, tbh now that you mention it there don’t seem to be as many R18’s on the market (new or used) in the UK either.

I really like my R18.....just as I did my R1200C. Funny thing is my favorite bike of all time (and there have been a bunch of bikes) was the C. This is in spite of it being a rare bike in the midwest. Sitting behind those boxer jugs is a totally different ride. My R18 is a keeper.

I got my 2023 B in late September for a flipping SONG. No idea how long the dealer had it, but it was a no haggle deal and they gave me thousands off. Couldn’t say no.

So I get the artificial scarcity if that’s the game. I also wonder if folks will cross shop the R12 with the R18 and how that’ll play for the overall sales of the stripped down R18s.
When they lift the delivery stop, I'm picking up a 2023 R18TC with the premium package, and my 08 Yamaha trade-in, 17,800 out the door.I couldn't pass that up.

Well MAX BMW in New England sold 2 and has 6 between CT, NY and NH. Worcester dealer has 4 2024 one of each except the no bag model.
I love my R18 classic. What I don't get is the number being given away with 2-5,000 miles for around 10K$. It is nice with my 6th BMW to finally
flat foot a bike.

Triumph Daytona, 71 60/5, 74 90/5, 82 K100RT, 71 60/5. 2009 R1200RT, 23 R18 classic

Even though I’m a happy camper on the R18, this bike is 8 feet long and stretched a bit compared to other cruisers. To that end I am determined to find a suitable set of ape hangers that come back to me. Don’t like to straight arm the bars or lean forward.

Our PDX metro folks had a decent number on hand when I was there this past weekend, and they had two of a beautiful color scheme (Option 719 Moonstone) which I think looks great but they said they have had zero interest.

They have a few of several R18 trim levels on hand. But as others have noted - the stop sale impacts those models with the ASD headlight feature. (Automated Self Disassembly).

Well MAX BMW in New England sold 2 and has 6 between CT, NY and NH. Worcester dealer has 4 2024 one of each except the no bag model.
I love my R18 classic. What I don't get is the number being given away with 2-5,000 miles for around 10K$. It is nice with my 6th BMW to finally
flat foot a bike.

Triumph Daytona, 71 60/5, 74 90/5, 82 K100RT, 71 60/5. 2009 R1200RT, 23 R18 classic
This might have changed, but allegedly, Max BMW, Bob's BMW, and San Diego BMW are the biggest volume sale dealers for BMW in the continental US. As a result, those dealerships get better merchandise to immediately sell, opposed to needing to special order. I was told that "fact" by a sales rep years ago at the San Diego BMW dealership when I bought my R1200c.

I am certainly open to someone correcting me, as I feel this "fact" would have changed since 2009 🤣

Mike

At my dealer, they had one R18 bobber and a stealth looking Rocktane. I noticed this dealership has quite a few of the smaller Royal Enfield bikes. (I think they are ugly)

Back