Kern Stabi X518 lift and rear bag protection bars

widu13

So after umming and arring about the Stabi I bit the bullet and got one. I didn't research it or I would have discovered that as @fleabag has found out it is NOT compatible with rear bars out of the box. It is probably 5-10° short of maximum extension where the lever can be pulled out. This means that the only solution is to remove the bars (not happening) or to shorten the handle which means that more force is needed to lift the bike. Of course another handle with an extreme extension could be used but I don't have the kit to do that.

I'm trying to visualize where the rear bars are interfering with the lift handle.

I was happy to hear that the Kern-Stabi X-518 had a Jekyll & Hyde adaptor, after I installed my new exhaust; maybe try reaching out to them and see if they have a solution for the rear-bar problem.

Post a picture or video of the issue.

I'm not with the lift now as I commute to work on the bike :) At the very last point when lifted and the wheels are about to lock into position; where handle is by the bags at the end of the handle lift, the handle is prevented going further that little bit extra which would make that happen as it is stopped by the bars. I have already reached out to KS, but despite all of the spares and accessories shown for the lift, a different handle or adapter is not there. I'll report back on what they say.

Attachments

• PXL_20240524_074715541.MP[1].jpg
    PXL_20240524_074715541.MP[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
That would be the manufacturing solution moving forward to be inclusive of bar users. FFS we even have to be inclusive with MCs now :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure how much additional clearance is required in order for the lifting lever to clear the case protection bars; perhaps, you can scoot the pivot point hole for the wheel axle back an inch or so, then add additional iron to the contact point which would hold the bike up as depicted in the below marked up picture?

You could probably have a shop weld the additional offset blocking.

Screenshot_20240524-063528.pngScreenshot_20240524-064402.png

That a possible non-engineering solution. Yes I think the top of the handle would need another 2" of movement to "flip" the stand onto wheels safely.

Fabricating a new handle (well, having on done) or perhaps more favourably an adapter made might be feasible. Kern Stabi replied and rather curtly told me to contact Horning...who did not supply the stand. I have done so and will keep you updated.

1716549699011.png

PXL_20240524_111521773[1].jpg

or.. perhaps put another bend on the straight end for the short one.. counter the bends and it's a better handle for either/or... ?

True confession…..I like the Kern-Stabi unit fine. But when I torque the handle to lift the bike, my eye looks at that tiny weld down there and says; “Please don’t snap, I don’t have engine protection bars yet”.

Have no fear. I always store my R18 in the garage and on the Kern if over a couple of days. Perhaps a many dozens times thus far for my '21...
True confession…..I like the Kern-Stabi unit fine. But when I torque the handle to lift the bike, my eye looks at that tiny weld down there and says; “Please don’t snap, I don’t have engine protection bars yet”.

I am not a machinist; however I believe with the stock Kern wheels, the transfer of weight of the bike from one tire at a time, to all up Kern....is not like you lifting 800#....when you lift the tail, the majority of the weight is still on the nose due to the weight distribution. When you lift the nose, most of the stress factor is on your arm! And you get used to that pretty quick. And I am sure there may be thousands of Kerns distributed world wide....if there was a problem, it would be quite vocal.

I'm actually surprised that the case protection bars are interfering with the lifting lever; seems like there's a lot of room there...?

View attachment 14570View attachment 14571
Interesting that you put a rubber block to keep the Kern from rolling when you do the Armstrong routine! Smart and a better idea! I use a short loose 2x4 at an angle wedged in front of the tire against my shoe......

4 wheeled it to Texas and back yesterday to pick up a Kern-Stabi lift from a member of of this site and I have the rear protection bars so I will let you all know after this weekend if I have clearance issues and what I do to resolve it

I'm actually surprised that the case protection bars are interfering with the lifting lever; seems like there's a lot of room there...?

View attachment 14570View attachment 14571

Yeah - I agree, I am not sure how they would get in the way:
img_4403-jpeg.14663

img_4402-jpeg.14664

Attachments

• IMG_4403.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4402.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 65
Update that I put on another post:

"I have to say - it is indeed very easy and very quick to use. It also allows a lift to be used beneath the bike.

It would have been extremely difficult to fit my exhaust servo switches without it. You may have seen my update about the handle hitting the rear protection bars.

I have a friend in engineering who is convinced that this was a "malformed press" in production. In other words it wasn't bent enough! He stuck it on a 20 ton bender (I'm sure it's got a proper name) and after 10 minutes of setting up, it took about 1 sec to bend and it now works like a dream without the need to shorten it."

My lever now looks just like everyone's photos above.

No clearance issues with the Kern-Stabi and the rear bag protection bars. Looked for a second that they may have came in close proximity, but remained clear. No alterations were made to the bar.

Hello, I have had this Kern-Stabi bike lift for a few weeks now, used it a couple of times now. The first time had a mate to assist in case didn’t go well but not necessary as followed instructions supplied & you tube video, it lifts surprisingly easier than I had expected. I have previously fitted Wunderlich rear case protection bars which did not interfere with the Stability lift handle, hope this is helpful info, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7651.jpeg
    IMG_7651.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg