If you're on the fence, now is the time to buy one

adamchandler

When I bought my R18B in June, the lowest price anywhere on a bagger was $19,500 but it was not a premium bike so I ended up paying $20,500 for a fully loaded first edition bagger. At the time, $22,500 could get you a trans continental ($2K more). Lowest I saw a base pure was around $12-$13K and classics were running around $16K.

Here are the cheapest (as of today) new R18s in the country in each trim:

Pure - $12,995 (Las Vegas and many other dealers)
Classic - $14,995 (SF, OK, TN dealers) $16-17K everywhere else
Bagger - $18,995 - $19,500 NC, MN, IL, SC, CA)
TransCon - $21,995 (NC, IL, TX, CA) ($23K most other places that are advertising.

CycleTrader Link - https://www.cycletrader.com/New-BMW...del=R 18|764982024&condition=N&sort=price:asc

Looks like I could have saved $1500 by waiting 2 months to purchase. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. TCs have not seen many price drops. 2023 bikes are landing within 6-12 weeks so if you want to look in November - January for a 2022 Bagger, you'll probably get 0% interest and another $1500 off these prices.

Here are national inventories (according to Cycle Trader) for new bikes 2020-2022 MY:
134JVf2.png

Classic - 100
Bagger - 200
TC - 150

Yesterday, a friend of mine mentioned I must have spent a pretty penny on my R18. I told him I paid $2500 less than a fully loaded GS Adventure and he was pretty surprised.

I wasn't quite right though. Looks like 2022s are getting down there relative to sticker for GSAs - https://www.cycletrader.com/New-BMW...NTURE|68616&condition=N&sort=price:asc&page=1

I'm 2-3 years away from replacing my GS and this bike will be paid off by then and the next generation GS will be out.

Too bad presently it still leaves, I believe, the R18 with an extra $1,500 off (3,500 vs 2,000) plus another 2,000 off when financed to max out bmw 6 payments (Max $333/month).

In my case around 13.3k for the R18FE with cruise I am getting about 19k for a Bagger. As much as it would be nice to get 4.7” of rear suspension travel that just feels like too much of a leap (6k) to make the move. If it was an only bike then slight chance maybe. And though I love the black and white pen strips that galaxy dust is a look on the Bagger model…though with that paint it would cost even more.

It does though seem to be several youtube videos saying owners having issues with the TFT and phones discounting all the time…that does not make the TFT screen very useful it would seem.

Don’t know, maybe BMW will keep this line alive a long time…or maybe after 2023 they might need to cut their loses if the sales numbers based on prices they are selling them for after discounts is not enough to justify the model line. Yes, I know those that own them love them if they kept them but this is a hard market for cruisers and what BMW came out with has some knocks again it so it seems.

Last edited:
I haven’t had any issues with my TFT screen. I am amazed at how much tech is on this bike. Example…..I’ve never had a bike who’s headlight turns a corner at night before I turn the corner (amazing).
Having driven a bike on low tire pressure in the winter, I really like having the tire pressures always showing in upper right corner of the screen.

When I bought my R18B in June, the lowest price anywhere on a bagger was $19,500 but it was not a premium bike so I ended up paying $20,500 for a fully loaded first edition bagger. At the time, $22,500 could get you a trans continental ($2K more). Lowest I saw a base pure was around $12-$13K and classics were running around $16K.

Here are the cheapest (as of today) new R18s in the country in each trim:

Pure - $12,995 (Las Vegas and many other dealers)
Classic - $14,995 (SF, OK, TN dealers) $16-17K everywhere else
Bagger - $18,995 - $19,500 NC, MN, IL, SC, CA)
TransCon - $21,995 (NC, IL, TX, CA) ($23K most other places that are advertising.

CycleTrader Link - https://www.cycletrader.com/New-BMW-R-18/motorcycles-for-sale?make=BMW|2315626&model=R 18|764982024&condition=N&sort=price:asc

Looks like I could have saved $1500 by waiting 2 months to purchase. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. TCs have not seen many price drops. 2023 bikes are landing within 6-12 weeks so if you want to look in November - January for a 2022 Bagger, you'll probably get 0% interest and another $1500 off these prices.

Here are national inventories (according to Cycle Trader) for new bikes 2020-2022 MY:
134JVf2.png

Classic - 100
Bagger - 200
TC - 150
Adam you are an excellent source of data for all things related to the R18 bikes. I enjoy your contributions here.

I haven’t had any issues with my TFT screen. I am amazed at how much tech is on this bike. Example…..I’ve never had a bike who’s headlight turns a corner at night before I turn the corner (amazing).
Having driven a bike on low tire pressure in the winter, I really like having the tire pressures always showing in upper right corner of the screen.
Was the screen map able to stay connected with the phone the whole time of riding?

Are these bikes really falling that flat in sales? More specifically the B? Just blows my mind as the B can go head to head with a HD street glide CVO at half the price. Unless I’m missing something.

Yes, seems pricing is good on select R18 models. Don’t know what a CVO cost though that is the ultra top of the line for HD and honestly don’t know how a CVO can hold that much value used now days…could be wrong.

Others know the numbers of units sold one figures. I only know what BMW current offers on the bikes are…2021 R18 base/FE having the best offer. Though dealer will charge a good 600 more if you add cruise to a base R18 or R18FE. BMW is offering less incentives on 2022 Bagger and TC models. Maybe that will be enhanced come September…I have not a clue honestly.

I know many like the idea of the Bagger since it has bags, handlebar fairing plus improved rear suspension and all the tech goodies (even if the TFT still has issues and BMW, being BMW, won’t offer apple nor android interface).

My worry is I get the base model and my back won’t be happy with it even with a Weekender seat on it. But I am not paying another 6k to move to a Bagger from a 21 R18FE so roll of the dice it will be.

The Harleys are over priced a bit. A base street glide and a base road glide road start at $24k

Are these bikes really falling that flat in sales? More specifically the B? Just blows my mind as the B can go head to head with a HD street glide CVO at half the price. Unless I’m missing something.
A dealer here has 38 bmw units in stock. 27 of them are r18s. 4-r18, 3-classic, 13-bagger, 7-TC.

Another dealer has 19 units in total, 12 of them are r18s, 3-r18, 1-classic, 5-bagger, 3-TC

I just went for another pleasure cruise this evening. 70 mph……smooth as silk.

If you want the Bagger with lots of extras, grab a Transcontinental and take the top box off.
As 1 example out of many, the running lights available on the TC really light up the lateral area in front of the bike at night.
Big plus.
One reviewer on YouTube claimed the running lights do nothing but vibrate. Mine don’t vibrate at all. Instead they flood the width of road in front of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take from across the pond. The initial ‘Honey Moon’ period is over for the R18. Everyone who‘s remotely interested in one will have seen the YouTube reviews, read magazine reviews, thought about the pros and cons of it and had opportunity to visit a dealer to demo one by now.. Now is definitely the time to buy. If you want one. There’s a tiny number of leftover 2020 FE around ( I bought one) at much lower MSRP because they need to shift them as they compete directly with (identical) 2022 showroom models. As soon as they are gone then you are back to haggling off a 2022 model. Don’t know we have the same finance offers over here and everything here seems wayyy more expensive anyway. There’s a lot of Union strikes over here, interest rates are going up, money is getting more expensive to borrow and so on. BMW now have a good idea what the world market can take in the different model variants and will manufacture accordingly. There won’t be a surplus in future IMHO. Lets be honest, no one needs an expensive bike like this. They are a luxury purchase.

My take from across the pond. The initial ‘Honey Moon’ period is over for the R18. Everyone who‘s remotely interested in one will have seen the YouTube reviews, read magazine reviews, thought about the pros and cons of it and had opportunity to visit a dealer to demo one by now.. Now is definitely the time to buy. If you want one. There’s a tiny number of leftover 2020 FE around ( I bought one) at much lower MSRP because they need to shift them as they compete directly with (identical) 2022 showroom models. As soon as they are gone then you are back to haggling off a 2022 model. Don’t know we have the same finance offers over here and everything here seems wayyy more expensive anyway. There’s a lot of Union strikes over here, interest rates are going up, money is getting more expensive to borrow and so on. BMW now have a good idea what the world market can take in the different model variants and will manufacture accordingly. There won’t be a surplus in future IMHO. Lets be honest, no one needs an expensive bike like this. They are a luxury purchase.
I agree with most of what you have said Rufus, though I do still see so many comments on R18 posts online with people liking the look of the bike but bemoaning the riding position and writing off the idea without even having sat on one, let alone ridden one.

I think this is why BMW was keen to take the R18 out for the roadshow that has been touring the country to get people to give it a chance. The problem with the majority of UK based reviews I’ve seen (preload setup issues aside) is that the reviewer is expecting it to ride like the sportsbike or adventure bike they own and not the heavyweight cruiser that it is.

I was considering holding out to see if there would be a 0% offer in December on the R18B but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere near the stock levels of them compared to how many R18 are sat in dealers. Even the individual coloured first editions don’t seem to be shifting which is a shame as the blue one in particular is absolutely stunning in person.

I agree with most of what you have said Rufus, though I do still see so many comments on R18 posts online with people liking the look of the bike but bemoaning the riding position and writing off the idea without even having sat on one, let alone ridden one.

I think this is why BMW was keen to take the R18 out for the roadshow that has been touring the country to get people to give it a chance. The problem with the majority of UK based reviews I’ve seen (preload setup issues aside) is that the reviewer is expecting it to ride like the sportsbike or adventure bike they own and not the heavyweight cruiser that it is.

I was considering holding out to see if there would be a 0% offer in December on the R18B but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere near the stock levels of them compared to how many R18 are sat in dealers. Even the individual coloured first editions don’t seem to be shifting which is a shame as the blue one in particular is absolutely stunning in person.
Hi Alex. Thing is, I just don’t understand how any rational person could possibly think a long, very low slung, 345kg low revving boxer twin could be anything like a sports bike. It’s just never going to happen. My personal take on all this is that whilst YouTube in particular is (mostly) great a select few YouTube vloggers (in the US and UK) have actually garnered quite a following. The downside is that they have their own schstick and bias and in order to keep being watched and drag in new subscribers say some stupid things or find fault for faults sake. I could name a few that come to mind but won’t give them the publicity. Then watchers rinse and repeat until we end up with urban myths that it‘s rubbish, no room, scrapes pegs, vibrates like a road drill, those exhausts blah blah blah . I accept some things are deal breakers and will put people off but that’s very subjective. Would I want to do long motorways in the fast lane every day on mine? Err Nope. Got to be honest about what we want and want the bike for. I don’t think BMW marketing dept help themselves though with all the Hipster promotional crap they put out because it’s just gets peoples backs up. I’ve been fortunate enough to own a few bikes over the years, none are perfect.

A dealer here has 38 bmw units in stock. 27 of them are r18s. 4-r18, 3-classic, 13-bagger, 7-TC.

Another dealer has 19 units in total, 12 of them are r18s, 3-r18, 1-classic, 5-bagger, 3-TC
Darn, that is a lot of 1800cc bikes and, it seems, in the bagger trim. Wonder if dealers were forced to take them. I know the place I am getting my R18FE from says they are losing $ selling it. My local dealer sold 3 of the bikes to his employees I think…base and bagger trims…well plus an employees dad. Yet I am unaware of them being buried with R18 bikes.

I still feel some big wig a bmw missed the mark doing the r18 line. Flash backs to r1200c/cl line when they last tried a cruiser.
  1. The R18 line has the looks to kill though with weight unseen at first :)
  2. Can be great to be with so long as you engage with her how she wants…within the zone. In this case…what is it 2k thru 3.5k range. Hum, maybe that is the amount of $ she wants us to spend on her.
  3. Can want to take her time when meandering around slowly. Not one that wants to easily turn, in such moments, to change direction akin to going shopping in a packed mall.
A pretty sharp Parts guy at my local shop did a nice job of explaining the situation. He said bmw riders/customers take the R18 out for a ride and come back perplexed. Expected it to ride and handle a like a BMW they’ve had before, like what they thought BMW bikes were meant to feel like, or similar to a current or prior boxer engines. He then explains they are not looking at the R18 the right way. Instead, he said he asked them to think of it as a cruiser bike, Comparing it to a Harley and then if they took her for a second ride, or so it seems, they came back and, MAYBE, understood the purpose of the bike. It’s just that maybe not that many customers are willing to give it a second chance for a demo ride perhaps. I know my dealer is doing R18 demo rides, yet again, this coming Saturday.

Else maybe they did or did not ride it or ride one a second time and still said what was BMW thinking to make a bike like this. Simply lifting her off the side stand might convince some potential owners to walk away from the bike I figure.

Then again, would anyone at bmw (not considering a retro line design) say ‘look we are BMW’ and design great riding machines. I have an idea, lets create a motorbike with the following features:
An engine not taking advantage of its most current generate of boxer technology, or heck maybe even the a 1300 engine.
Toss the idea of any water aided cooling out the window…into the sea (get it water). After all this is the year 2022 and NO one wants that…well except the zillion of owners of the wet head boxer engines (here’s looking at your GS & RT owners)
Excessive weight, a lot of it due to the 1800 engnine
Limited rear suspension (excluding B/TC)
Length of a small car but needing suv turning radius
Tech that does not use industry standard Apple and Car Play interface and maybe still has teething issues a year plus after release (TFT)

Then again, maybe the reason they are not selling great is due to what my Parts guy said. BMW should have waited another 6 months before releasing the bike. They sent it to market with a crap seat (all about the looks not comfort), and did not have any supply of accessory parts available at launch. That resulted in a lot of possible purchases saying NO to buying the bike.

Maybe future buyers will come around, else maybe the R18 line will simply end up being the most attractive boxer engine model line in recent bmw history as well as future history without a lot of buyers. Sort of a Halo model. The R18 model line sort of feels like a child from another mother that simply doesn’t fit in with the rest of the children at a local BMW bike store :)

But…it is Both Poetry in motion and an Image and that says a lot. That’s it, they need a tag line (some video review showed a poster of it I think though below is not that one).

The BMW R1800cc boxer, if poetry were a picture this would be the bike.
Ok, so I won’t ever do advertising…still I am in love with the look and don’t know how any boxer lover could not be.

Last edited:
Here in the northwet all bikes with the exception of GS’s sit in the dealerships all winter. October and November are the time to buy especially with the shortages of GS’s as they will sell next to nothing. And they like to eat, so…

Yes, seems pricing is good on select R18 models. Don’t know what a CVO cost though that is the ultra top of the line for HD and honestly don’t know how a CVO can hold that much value used now days…could be wrong.

Others know the numbers of units sold one figures. I only know what BMW current offers on the bikes are…2021 R18 base/FE having the best offer. Though dealer will charge a good 600 more if you add cruise to a base R18 or R18FE. BMW is offering less incentives on 2022 Bagger and TC models. Maybe that will be enhanced come September…I have not a clue honestly.

I know many like the idea of the Bagger since it has bags, handlebar fairing plus improved rear suspension and all the tech goodies (even if the TFT still has issues and BMW, being BMW, won’t offer apple nor android interface).

My worry is I get the base model and my back won’t be happy with it even with a Weekender seat on it. But I am not paying another 6k to move to a Bagger from a 21 R18FE so roll of the dice it will be.

I also think that if you want a more simple motorcycle that will be relevant, easy to maintain and outlast all of us, a base R18 is it. It has dumb suspension, no fancy tech gizmos, is lighter, no need to remove parts for tire changes and the most expensive failure point after the motor will be the LED headlight. Forgoing cruise control, bags, fairing, electronic suspension and more will mak for a true classic in 30 years. The R18B/TC will work in 30 years but most of the tech stuff will have failed or will need replacing or will no longer receive software updates.

I don't keep bikes more than 5 years so I'm not concerned about the next owner but if I kept bikes for 10-20, the base R18 is the purest form and the simplest overall and easier to modify.

I've honestly had no issue personally convincing BMW fans to spend $11K on a demo R18FE. "that's it?" is their response. It's cheaper than the F750GS.

Here in the northwet all bikes with the exception of GS’s sit in the dealerships all winter. October and November are the time to buy especially with the shortages of GS’s as they will sell next to nothing. And they like to eat, so…
Darn, that is a good tip. A dealer in Florida just sold a used 2022 719 trip R1250RT (though possible the bike was actually in Chicago…they are a national used bike dealer. The mother of pearl color always talked to me.

Back