Hornig Crash Bars Lean Angle

Calboy

Do the bars affect the lean angle of an R18 FE, B or TC?
I am seriously considering getting these crash bars but I am also trying to avoid getting into a delicate/dangerous situation by doing so.
I would like to hear only from people that actually have some experience with this set up.

Not trying to be funny or smarta**, but is there anyone out dragging knees on a R18? I ask since I keep seeing questions about max lean angle? I would think it is not an issue with a R18, being a cruiser that is.

I've only been scraping the sacrificial nub on the bottom of my floor boards ever so slightly... nothing crazy..

This is why the question about the lean angle was asked.

"Our crash bars are made of high-quality steel and are especially designed for your BMW R18. The crash bars are designed to be very robust (pipe diameter 34mm) and allow for an equal distribution of forces in a crash. You and your bike are protected in the best possible way. Thanks to the stylish custom look, the crash bar protects your motorcycle without disturbing the look.

Crash bars offer a very good protection but they can reduce the cornering angle.
Also referred to as engine bars, highway bars.

Fits R18 First Edition, Classic, Bagger, Transcontinental & Roctane."

Hornig R18 Crash Bars
Produced by Hornig of Germany

I have a cheap knockoff crash bar. Basically a knockoff of the BMW engine guard....in black.

I can really bottom out the pegs to the point where they are folded up. Under special circumstances that I am not quite sure how to replicate exactly, I have been able to brush my crashbar on the ground when doing low-speed maneuvering. Most recently happened while performing a tight, low speed u-turn on a two lane road with my 12 year old son on back.

I have a cheap knockoff crash bar. Basically a knockoff of the BMW engine guard....in black.

I can really bottom out the pegs to the point where they are folded up. Under special circumstances that I am not quite sure how to replicate exactly, I have been able to brush my crashbar on the ground when doing low-speed maneuvering. Most recently happened while performing a tight, low speed u-turn on a two lane road with my 12 year old son on back.
I made an abrupt and very tight u-turn because there was some incoming traffic from the opposite direction and I had to hurry up.
I dragged the left peg so hard that the perfectly round hole the pin goes through became oval. I couldn't get my foot off of it while turning so hard and fast, therefore the damage that ensued.
I drag both pegs a lot whether making u-turns or tight left and right turns.
I'm wondering, which part would touch the ground first? The pegs or the crash bars?
I waited five weeks for a brand new peg to arrive from Germany.

I am seriously considering getting these crash bars but I am also trying to avoid getting into a delicate/dangerous situation by doing so.
I would like to hear only from people that actually have some experience with this set up.
No they don't if you've got them scrapping you're in bother 😒

I have them... no scraping issues (best photo I have showing peg/bar height) ..... I run a +20mm wilbers rear shock and rarely scrape pegs these days.... only occasionally when doing a tight U turn where you "put the bike down" leaving your body more upright..... normally I lean in leaving the bike more upright.... for me there seems to be some natural turn speed/radius where I transition turnimg style.

I thought the bars would ruin the bikes "look".... but I ended up liking it more with them..... go figure. I went the stainless ones..... not chrome.... so maybe minor scratches can be polished out.

20240128_112702.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Anniversary model not much different than your bike. Bike has 575 miles on it. The other day I took a canyon run I used to take on my R9T and Harley all the time. The canyon consists of very tight turns going up and down. I was worried that no matter how careful I was I would scrape the cylinder heads....I was surprised that it was no problem at all, not even really close. And I even gave it some throttle on the turns, no problem.
So..unless you like the look of the crash bars, or are worried that you might drop the bike, personally I would forget about the crash bars and just be careful...
Just my two cents....

I have a 2023 Anniversary model not much different than your bike. Bike has 575 miles on it. The other day I took a canyon run I used to take on my R9T and Harley all the time. The canyon consists of very tight turns going up and down. I was worried that no matter how careful I was I would scrape the cylinder heads....I was surprised that it was no problem at all, not even really close. And I even gave it some throttle on the turns, no problem.
So..unless you like the look of the crash bars, or are worried that you might drop the bike, personally I would forget about the crash bars and just be careful...
Just my two cents....
I was on the fence anyway... as far as getting the bars.
The bike doesn't look bad with them on, yet it affects that vagabond look I like so much about my FE
I can totally see James Dean riding an R18 like a rebel without a cause.
The r18 is the only bike out of about 42 I've had through the years that I bought based on the visuals alone. I never bothered to test ride it.
I keep saying, when I'm mad at the mess BMW is these days in terms of replacement parts or shop manual, that if I knew how things would unfold I would have never bought one!
But I'm wrong. I enjoy riding it a lot. There's something about this animal of a bike that is refined and appealing like no other bike I've ever had.
I've grown to love it a lot, and admire the engineering that went into building it.
A big thank you to all of you that took the time to respond to my post.

Has anybody washed their bike, as in powerwashed??? Good idea or bad?
I've never washed any of my bikes, always cleaned by hand, but thinking I might get my auto detail guy to carefully powerwash and dry my bike. Mostly the lower half, no need to wash the controls, seat, et...

Bad idea with a pressure washer... Just my own experience.

I like a car wash soap and a soft brush on a broom stick, then rinse with a open hose; however, this is only after lots of dirt and mud has built up (GS Adventure) riding..

I haven't had to do the above with the R18 B, mostly because I avoid rainy day rides and going off road..

Bad idea with a pressure washer... Just my own experience.

I like a car wash soap and a soft brush on a broom stick, then rinse with a open hose; however, this is only after lots of dirt and mud has built up (GS Adventure) riding..

I haven't had to do the above with the R18 B, mostly because I avoid rainy day rides and going off road..
Yeah....bad idea...I'll clean it by hand. Just getting lazy....and it's not even dirty, just dust from the garage....

We're getting a OT here :ROFLMAO:. I use a cordless "power" washer from a bucket of water. They are not very powerful but will remove wet mud. I spray with a pre wash called a Traffic Film Remover in the UK, soak for 2 mins and then wash off. Then wash the bike (use a long bristle paint brush for the cylinder heads and the recent game changer that I have learned about...a pet drier, honestly it makes such a difference in the UK - no need to put bikes away wet/poorly wiped down anymore.

1714732383115.png

Such a good idea about the pet dryer.
I will look into that now for the days I need to dry the bike, specially when riding over winter. Unless my bike gets wet on traffic, I normally use Grease lighting aka Showroom Shinning.
Been using that for years and even I use it on the boat. Repels water, dust and all sorts and if the bike gets dusty, a quick dry cleaning with a micro-fiber towel does the job in less than 2 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 4
Back