Hommage seat but now saddlebags are ugly ;)

Ok, now I am confused...does not take much some times.
I see this item on their site https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R18/2021/products/luggage/SysBags/SysBag/4052572049563.htm
Photo is right side though page is for left side I believe.
Is this somehow supposed to click onto the stock base R18 bag mounting plate? It happens to be on sale for the plate and the bag though as I viewed it I was wonder if putting the bag on the right side would make it easier to load/unload things out of it.

Ok, guessing I have this wrong and item below will not work on an R18 nor the adapter plate connect to the stock R18 bag mount. Besides, would look pretty back when bag was taken off I bet.
Thank you
View attachment 9552

SW Motech offers different adapters for different mounting systems. The system that is sold as "BMW OEM" is called SLC.

https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/pann...d/11361-bmw-holder-side-bag-left-r18-k34.html

On a bike, it's not that noticeable when installed, especially if it's on the left side, it looks like part of the frame.

Last edited:
Ok, so please detail action steps for me. I use the USA SWMOTECH site. I can order the following:
1. Bmw stock r18 base model saddlebag bracket (left or right)
2. Then what options are there to order an adapter mount of so sort to then select some sort of other swmotech side bag.
3. I don’t care for the standard canvas square bmw stock r18 base bags. The nice tear drop (sort) canvas bags swmotech has are like $1,000 so not looking to spend that much $. Plus not need for overnight bag anyway.
4. Guess that large one with rollers could work if I needed lots of space, maybe they offer that in black color :)
No seeing any used bags on this site presently.
thanks

Sorry -
Ok, so please detail action steps for me. I use the USA SWMOTECH site. I can order the following:
1. Bmw stock r18 base model saddlebag bracket (left or right)
2. Then what options are there to order an adapter mount of so sort to then select some sort of other swmotech side bag.
3. I don’t care for the standard canvas square bmw stock r18 base bags. The nice tear drop (sort) canvas bags swmotech has are like $1,000 so not looking to spend that much $. Plus not need for overnight bag anyway.
4. Guess that large one with rollers could work if I needed lots of space, maybe they offer that in black color :)
No seeing any used bags on this

If you don't like the "square" BMW OEM bags (by the way, if you see them in real life, you might change your mind, they are high quality and fit the style, just small for long trips), then you can buy any SW Motech bag with SLC mount - they will fit BMW bracket right away. There is no need to use any adapters.

However, they are not large, the maximum capacity is 20 liters, I believe. So if you need more capacity, you will need to do what I did - buy an SLC Motech adapter and a third party bag. You will need to make sure the bag has some sort of built-in frame or other reinforcement , otherwise it will collapse from the air pressure at speed and could hit pipes or wheels.

Ok, got it…3rd party bag. No, have not seen the stock base r18 bags in person…well maybe on a bike at daytona bmw the other year during bike week. They are not lockable and thought I read no so great due to effects of rain. Plus I like a lot of storage space. Might just have to bite the bullet and get those nice sw Motech saddlebags one of these days. Presently I have s simply back seat canvas duffle bag that has a selection that slides over the driver backrest that works good enough for time being.

I actually did it.

I bought the SW Motech adapter plate for SLC mount (GBP 30) and the Rains Travel Bag Small (GBP 200).

The choice of a bag was guided by the fact that this model is waterproof + the back side is reinforced, and the retractable handles work as a frame - providing additional stability at speed (see photo). It is also lightweight.

It took 30 minutes to assemble and it worked just fine. Fits BMW bracket seamlessly and is absolutely stable at speed.

Since I installed the luggage mounting bracket only on the left (so as not to spoil the appearance of the bike), I was looking for a solution to fit a larger bag in there than the standard 17 liter BMW bag. This one provides 40-45 liters of storage, which should be enough for a week-long trip, planned for May.
I couldn’t understand because of the limits of language (Spanish) please explain to me. I have the R18 OEM bag, obviously with that support “attached” to the bike. Does that Motech bag comes with the plate that is compatible with my support? Or do I have to buy the bag and the plate?

Last edited:
I couldn’t understand because of the limits of language (Spanish) please explain to me. I have the R18 OEM bag, obviously with that support “attached” to the bike. Does that Motech bag comes with the plate that is compatible with my support? Or do I have to buy the bag and the plate?

If your bike is R18 Classic, R18 B or R18 Transcontinental - then no, your mount is not compatible with SW Motech.

If your bike is R18 (pure) and you have additionally installed the following BMW mount for BMW saddle bags designed for R18 (pure):

, then yes, it is compatible with Motech bags designed for SLC mount. In fact, this BMW mount is made by SW Motech, as a white label.

If your bike is R18 Classic, R18 B or R18 Transcontinental - then no, your mount is not compatible with SW Motech.

If your bike is R18 (pure) and you have additionally installed the following BMW mount for BMW saddle bags designed for R18 (pure):

[/URL]

, then yes, it is compatible with Motech bags designed for SLC mount. In fact, this BMW mount is made by SW Motech, as a white label.
Thank you. Yes, my bike is the Pure and I have additionally installed that mount

A new addition via the SW Motech adapter, the 38 liter aluminum box from Bagtecs. High quality and only £250 including the cost of the adapter. This SW Motech system, chosen by BMW, coupled with universal adapters from SW motech, is a very versatile and economical solution that makes it easy to configure the bike to suit any need.

Attachments

• 20230527_164737.jpg
    20230527_164737.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Back