Hello From North NJ

Berardi3

Hey everyone Just joined this forum I currently Have a 21 R 18 Classic but I am looking to Upgrade and Possibly go with R 18 Bagger or an RT 1250 but have been lusting over a Bagger wondering how much I would lose on a Trade is it worth the Difference ? How much better are the Baggers ?

Welcome. I traded my RT for my R-18C. I've had a couple of 1200 RTs and I have nothing, but good to say about them (whizzer brakes equipped 06 and LC 16 with approximately 100,000 combined miles), but they are so dissimilar from the R18 that you need to ride them back to back if possible and for some reasonable miles/hours. You should bring your own vaseline as the biggest depreciation is immediately after you buy it and then try to quickly trade. You and the dealer can shuffle the numbers to make you feel better, but the bottom line is your's is used and some shops still have new and or new demo models with huge interest rate and rebate incentives that your's won't have to entice a buyer. That said, I've done similar a couple times over many years with my limited self control 😁 and I just accepted it and didn't look back, but make sure it's for good reason as it really is throwing away perfectly good money. I try to behave like in the old saying of "measure twice and cut once", but it's hard with so many great bikes being offered by all the OEMs nowadays.

Welcome. I traded my RT for my R-18C. I've had a couple of 1200 RTs and I have nothing, but good to say about them (whizzer brakes equipped 06 and LC 16 with approximately 100,000 combined miles), but they are so dissimilar from the R18 that you need to ride them back to back if possible and for some reasonable miles/hours. You should bring your own vaseline as the biggest depreciation is immediately after you buy it and then try to quickly trade. You and the dealer can shuffle the numbers to make you feel better, but the bottom line is your's is used and some shops still have new and or new demo models with huge interest rate and rebate incentives that your's won't have to entice a buyer. That said, I've done similar a couple times over many years with my limited self control 😁 and I just accepted it and didn't look back, but make sure it's for good reason as it really is throwing away perfectly good money. I try to behave like in the old saying of "measure twice and cut once", but it's hard with so many great bikes being offered by all the OEMs nowadays.
I hear you but you only live once !!!!

For us older guys, I really like the wind protection provided by the R18B and R18TC. Not long ago I just drove with wind in my face and didn't think about it. This is what happens when the age of 60 reaches you.

That said, I've done similar a couple times over many years with my limited self control 😁 and I just accepted it and didn't look back, but make sure it's for good reason as it really is throwing away perfectly good money. I try to behave like in the old saying of "measure twice and cut once", but it's hard with so many great bikes being offered by all the OEMs nowadays.
And that said ... I am the same animal. I am currently considering a Bagger in place of my Classic --and I must agree that there has never been a better time to be a motorcyclist. So many great bikes available today! My head spins!

Coming from a bagger (Road Glide) and after a few mods, my Classic does everything I need. I don't carry the gear I used to nor do I put on the miles like I did 10 years ago. I can tell you the Classic, while it doesn't have the wind protection of the TC, may compete with the bagger once the fork deflectors are installed and you find the windshield that fits you. The stock windshield has worked fine for me. It (deflectors) made a significant difference in my riding comfort, but still not a bagger. I suppose if I'm touring, I'm going with a Gold Wing or the K1600 GTL Premium as my HD days are now behind me. I just dig the simplicity that the B and TC don't have.

EDIT: "This is what happens when the age of 60 reaches you." AT 65 I'm hoping to get another 10-12 years of good riding in. Everything after that is gravy.

Last edited:
Generally I prefer simplicity over gadgetry. On that basis my TC purchase is hard to explain. Oh well.

And that said ... I am the same animal. I am currently considering a Bagger in place of my Classic --and I must agree that there has never been a better time to be a motorcyclist. So many great bikes available today! My head spins!
Will likely go for it can’t turn down cheap money 💰

I originally wanted the bagger, but got a good price on the TC.
Visit Cycle Werks of Barrington IL

Back