Hello from Lockdown London

D

Deleted member 213

Got my R18 FE in December, followed the story from the concept to the production model and had to have it. Not seen another one in London yet but that is not surprising. Such a thing of beauty - well played BMW. Not sure about the exhausts, appearance might grow on me but the lack of grunt wont. I also have HD 48 with open line Akropovic exhaust so used to loud pipes. Nice to come across this forum and will be keeping an eye on it. Safe riding all.

Welcome to the party pal! Sorry to hear about the lockdown. Hopefully the world will get back to normal soon. Prior to the Kung-Flu I would travel about 40 weeks a year. I'm in London and Royston a couple of times a year.

Welcome to the party pal! Sorry to hear about the lockdown. Hopefully the world will get back to normal soon. Prior to the Kung-Flu I would travel about 40 weeks a year. I'm in London and Royston a couple of times a year.
Hi mate, yes its not a lot of fun, but at least the roads are empty! Just need some warm weather.

Hi Gilles,

Thanks for the welcome and no doubt you are as proud of your R18 as I am. Would be interesting to know how sales are going in the UK and abroad. Hopefully the insurance situation has become more straightforward since end of December! Happy biking!

Nice one - how do you find it driving in the London traffic?
Hi Mark,

I have been commuting by bike for years so used to it. The only thing that has changed with the R18 is needing to adapt to squeezing through traffic with those big pots!

Hi Mark,

I have been commuting by bike for years so used to it. The only thing that has changed with the R18 is needing to adapt to squeezing through traffic with those big pots!
I've been to France & Switzerland, but not England. Having seen so much lane splitting, I've always wondered... is it actually legal in Europe or do the police just turn a blind eye to it?

Its legal in the UK and very common. Most car drivers have no issue with it, they save their ire for other car drivers taking liberties not bikers. I was surprised when I found out its illegal in the US and car drivers get pissed off if you lane split? It would be Hell to be forced to be stuck in traffic when you are used to always getting to the front of the queue! Also its such fun computing your route through the 4 wheeled land slugs.

Its legal in the UK and very common. Most car drivers have no issue with it, they save their ire for other car drivers taking liberties not bikers. I was surprised when I found out its illegal in the US and car drivers get pissed off if you lane split? It would be Hell to be forced to be stuck in traffic when you are used to always getting to the front of the queue! Also its such fun computing your route through the 4 wheeled land slugs.
Yeah! Where I used to work in the Gerneva area all of the bikes would run between the cars, up to the front at the traffic light and, as soon as the light showed a photon of green light, BLAST away from all of the cars. In Alerica it would be mayhem as the car drivers woyuld all scream bloody murder at "the injustice of it all".

Back