HeliBar Install Notes and Impressions

Brodo.Waggins

Site Supporter
I finally found some time to install the HeliBars. I will update my post here as I take some pictures and get more seat time with them.

My thoughts on the Bars:
  • Bars seem to be made well and feels sturdy.
  • Came nicely packaged and they even included color copies of the installation pdfs.
  • I'm 5'7" with short arms and while they do offer a bit of extra reach, they were not the salvation I hoped for.
  • I didn't have an issue with the angle of the OEM bars, but I also find the Helibars to be perfectly fine too.
  • My feeling is that these were designed for a taller rider first, and touring/shorter riders second.

My impressions on the installation:
  • While I wouldn't call the installation difficult, it was tedious with the amount of fairing pieces that needed to come off.
  • The installation might be missing a part about having to remove your tft screen, because you do.
  • You will need a long torx bit or torx screwdriver T25, to get at one of the screws.
  • After the fairing was off, it was fairly easy.
  • I used this video to aid in bleeding the upper hydraulic lines that were replaced:

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 19
I'm 5'7" with short arms and while they do offer a bit of extra reach, they were not the salvation I hoped for.
My feeling is that these were designed for a taller rider first, and touring/shorter riders second.

Thanks for your impressions! While I've been waiting for the SS version, I've been wondering whether this bar will actually solve my issues.

I am exactly in the same situation as you. I am the same height as you and my reach isn't great either. While cruising, I end up holding the outer half of my grips which causes my smaller hands/shorter fingers to have problems reaching the levers. This also makes it difficult to use the jog wheel and thumb controls.
Furthermore, when I do full lock turns, I have to move my entire body forwards and sideways.

Am I correct in concluding from your post that these problems will persist?
I was trying to figure out using their videos and pictures in addition to member posts here to see if their bar will work for me. My main concern before your post was that with the bar installed at the best reach position, when taking the bar to a full lock position, the inside (in terms of the bike turning) tip of the bar will be too close to my torso, making it difficult to hold onto it with my inside hand.

Any feedback regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you Brodo for your Heli-Bar report.

I am also 5'7" and am particularly interested in the statement you made about the Heli-Bars offering better reach but not being the salvation you hoped for? Are you not able to sit with your back straight up as on the R1200c bikes? Thanks

Thanks for your impressions! While I've been waiting for the SS version, I've been wondering whether this bar will actually solve my issues.

I am exactly in the same situation as you. I am the same height as you and my reach isn't great either. While cruising, I end up holding the outer half of my grips which causes my smaller hands/shorter fingers to have problems reaching the levers. This also makes it difficult to use the jog wheel and thumb controls.
Furthermore, when I do full lock turns, I have to move my entire body forwards and sideways.

Am I correct in concluding from your post that these problems will persist?
I was trying to figure out using their videos and pictures in addition to member posts here to see if their bar will work for me. My main concern before your post was that with the bar installed at the best reach position, when taking the bar to a full lock position, the inside (in terms of the bike turning) tip of the bar will be too close to my torso, making it difficult to hold onto it with my inside hand.

Any feedback regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I think I may have better reach than you sorry to say. You’ll likely not find what you’re looking for with these bars. See additional comments I have below. If anyone is in the Central NJ area, you’re more than welcome to come try the bars out on my bike.

Thank you Brodo for your Heli-Bar report.

I am also 5'7" and am particularly interested in the statement you made about the Heli-Bars offering better reach but not being the salvation you hoped for? Are you not able to sit with your back straight up as on the R1200c bikes? Thanks
So of course like the idiot that I am, I didn’t bother doing any measurements of the OEM bars. But attached is a measurement of the helibars. From the speaker logo to the middle of the bar end is about 11.5”. You can probably do the same measurement on your stock bars and see how much of a difference it is on your set up.

I “feel” like it’s at least an inch or two back and I definitely have more bend in my arms, but of course I would like MORE.

Now, the bars can definitely pull back more, but because of the design of the bars, your master cylinders will not be able to be at an optimal angle.

Attachments

• 705D74E5-8CF4-4954-B099-39CA3D5E006D.jpeg
    705D74E5-8CF4-4954-B099-39CA3D5E006D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Good pic Brodo, I’ll do the same measurement on my bars and post a pic this evening.

One other thing….I watched the video you posted on how to clear the air bubbles from the clutch and brake lines.
Strangely, nothing was said about refilling the reservoirs? The volume of fluid in the original line removed would need to be replenished.

Good pic Brodo, I’ll do the same measurement on my bars and post a pic this evening.

One other thing….I watched the video you posted on how to clear the air bubbles from the clutch and brake lines.
Strangely, nothing was said about refilling the reservoirs? The volume of fluid in the original line removed would need to be replenished.
The covers dont need to come off. I bled the brakes once on each side by pulling the levers in and opening and closing the bleeder quickly. Very little fluid came out during the whole process. Confirmed pulling off the covers at the end. I will ask dealer to top off my fluids for my first service this spring.

Okay Brodo, what I’m about to say is somewhat discouraging. From the center of the Marshall logo to the center cap on the grip is 12 inch.
It appears the Heli-bars come further out, but then angle back such that the cap on the grip is not closer to you.
OEM bars (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There were 3 different handle bars available for the R1200C. BMW needs to build another set of bars for our R18B/TC

Okay Brodo, what I’m about to say is somewhat discouraging. From the center of the Marshall logo to the center cap on the grip is 12 inch.
It appears the Heli-bars come further out, but then angle back such that the cap on the grip is not closer to you.
View attachment 8361

I measured Marshall logo to roughly center of the grip and it's 9.5". I'm guessing the angle of the Helibars, is the slight difference maker but I could be wrong here.
IMG_0687.jpg
Is there an unwritten rule that only 5’ 7” guys can buy a TC!?!?. LOL
It's like a magnet for us lol

Back