Heli-bars popularity

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

So far I know of only two on this forum who have purchased the Heli-bars. I'm waiting for the stainless steel version which is in progress.
It would be nice to get some feedback on the satisfaction factor. I'm 5'7 (used to be 5'8") and reach just a smidgeon to get to the bars. On my R1200C I sat upright with ape hanger bars up near me.

Reactions: Vyk
I just received mine this week, installing Sunday. That sucks, when I emailed them a few weeks ago asking if they had plans to make anything other than the black powder coat they said "no" that was literally all the response was. oh well, the powder coat will look fine.

I am interested in seeing pics when you are finished and maybe your summary of the project.
It is disappointing to hear they told you no concerning a stainless steel version. I got two emails saying it was in progress.
Time to ask them again.
Good luck. Lots of tear down to do.

I am interested in seeing pics when you are finished and maybe your summary of the project.
It is disappointing to hear they told you no concerning a stainless steel version. I got two emails saying it was in progress.
Time to ask them again.
Good luck. Lots of tear down to do.
I will post pics and my experience installing them. I'm kind of nervous because so much has to come off the bike and I've only had her for a month, but after reading the instructions it doesn't seem too bad.

I will post pics and my experience installing them. I'm kind of nervous because so much has to come off the bike and I've only had her for a month, but after reading the instructions it doesn't seem too bad.
I recommend doing the TFT protector whilst you’re in there if you’re thinking about doing one. It’s not a bad job to remove everything just time consuming because of the number of bolts holding the front fairing together!

The last time I changed a clutch line, I pumped the lever for almost on hour trying to get the air bubbles out. While not afraid to remove 40 some odd bolts to get at the Helm-Bar install, I don't relish the clutch and brake line work.

I recommend doing the TFT protector whilst you’re in there if you’re thinking about doing one. It’s not a bad job to remove everything just time consuming because of the number of bolts holding the front fairing together!
Might be wrong though thought I saw/read something about a short cut way to install the screen protector on a TFT screen. My bike R18FE does not have that but that is what I recall. And no, not a clue where I saw/read it :(

For some of the more involved wrenching, I have written a sequence on paper as I tear down. That way I can just work it backwards later. Notes to myself are helpful since I am not a hard core natural mechanic.

Might be wrong though thought I saw/read something about a short cut way to install the screen protector on a TFT screen. My bike R18FE does not have that but that is what I recall. And no, not a clue where I saw/read it :(
Adam Chandler had a post on here somewhere and on YouTube but carefully levering out plastic parts has not gone well for me in the past 🤣

Got them installed this morning. It was really not that difficult, just time consuming. instructions provided were good. took me 4 hours because I had to wait for O' Reiley's to open because I didn't have a T55 to get the bar ends off. Took her out for a test spin and wow, these handlebars are game changers for me. This bike is absolutely perfect now lol.

Attachments

• R18 Heli Bars installed.jpg
    R18 Heli Bars installed.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • R18 stripped fairing.jpg
    R18 stripped fairing.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • R18 Stripped inner fairing.jpg
    R18 Stripped inner fairing.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • R18 Parts.jpg
    R18 Parts.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Good work.
I was wondering how it went. Was it difficult deciding how high and how far back position them? From the left most pic It looks like you opted to have them higher up over against further back, is that right?

I noticed in one of the pics that you have a unique wind deflection scheme. The TC screen with winglets is the best solution ever for calm riding.

Got them installed this morning. It was really not that difficult, just time consuming. instructions provided were good. took me 4 hours because I had to wait for O' Reiley's to open because I didn't have a T55 to get the bar ends off. Took her out for a test spin and wow, these handlebars are game changers for me. This bike is absolutely perfect now lol.
Any chance did you take a side-by-side picture of the Heli and the stock OEM bars?

Go back and redo please with photos :)
If it wasn't 42 screws maybe:LOL:. I absolutely love taking stuff apart and putting it back together, so it was a very fun and satisfying job for me. I have got to say coming from the HD world, this bike is built like a tank! Every single piece I removed just felt quality. I don't even feel like I can compare this bike to my old HD road glide ultra, this one is in a league of it's own!

Back