Harley Street Glide Vs Bagger

I rented a Street Glide from Vegas HD and did a four day trip throughout that entire region, visiting all of the National & State Parks (Grand Canyon, Brice, Zion, Garden of Fire, Hoover Dam, etc.).

I considered a HD Street Glide ST, the Road Glide ST and the R18 B when I was shopping around for a touring bike; I was getting off of my 2008 R1200 GS Adventure.

I went with the R18 B First Edition, I felt I was getting way more bike and tons of tech and safety features that I wanted for my next bike, for a considerably better price than what HD was offering. Plus, all of buddies have the Road Glide and Street Glide; I had put 96,600 miles on my GS Adventure without any issues - I like and trust the BMW brand.

I have a parallel comparison for you. Transcontinental vs Road Glide Special.

Some context

I ride all brands and all types of motorcycles.
I've owned two Base model First edition R18s and a Transcontinental.
A friend of mine is a general manager at a Harley dealership and offered no limit test rides for me.
I took out both the Street Glide Special and the Road Glide Special.
I ended up riding them for 200 miles.
Words... "longest demo in dealership history" were thrown around.
I ended up trading in the TC tow days later for the Road Glide Special I demoed.
It took me 9 BMWs to get my first HD.
I still love the looks of the R18 and really love how the boxer engine sounds.
I'm convinced that I'll end up owning a base model R18 concurrently with the HD down the line.
Cost aside, I am really happy with the HD.

The comparison: See TLDR if can't be bothered
If you are big into features... you cannot beat BMWs.
These HDs are blank slates in which you have to add on w/e you want after the purchase. Cost becomes astronomical if you want to spec it similarly to the BMW.
Even then, there are features you cannot add on, such as the Adaptive Cruise Control (absolutely awesome), central locking, big o TFT, electronic/automatic preload adjuster and the electric reverse.
The suspension on the BMWs is great, especially for a low weight rider like me (175lbs with gear)... HDs don't feel like they are optimal for someone like me. Especially without a touring pack (another add on!). They ride harsher over bumps than the BMW. I'm considering doing a suspension.... again... expensive.
Leg/feet position on the BMWs were... okayish... for me. Comfortable enough most of the time especially with the occasional leg rest use.
Are the HDs more comfortable? Yes.
The problem with BMWs is the handlebar. Being a smaller guy, the reach was too far. I could barely touch the high side handlebar grip when doing full lock turns. If I wanted to chill on the highway (meaning not leaning forwards), I couldn't hold on to the grips near control clusters but at the bar ends. Moving forward on the tank cramped my leg controls. Never ended up being able to find an aftermarket solution... because this platform lacks aftermarket support.
HDs do have Apple Car Play / Android Auto though. Of course, if you want to make it work at full function, you need to get their CV radio kit or, WHIM (comm adapter) plus expensive HD Sena unit, or Sena Freewire/CV adapter/CV Dealership Activation on the head unit (will work with both Cardo and Sena at that point)... again... expensive.
HDs clear wind over my head and then some (felt by standing up a little). Better than the TC. Also, not having to look through a windscreen unlike on the TC is awesome. Especially in the rain. And if you want a different HD windscreen... they are like... half the price of BMWs counterpart. Parts on HDs are cheaper.
Street glide's fairings are shaped in a way that you get wind protection for your hands... BMWs have similar aesthetics but won't really keep the wind off of your hands.
Road glide doesn't provide that protection.
Road glide compares pretty well with the BMW Bagger in terms of overall wind protection. TC is much better of course with those winglets and the lowers. Again... you can burn some hundred dollar bills to make HDs have similar wind protection as well.
If you are cost conscious, even if you get a used HD, you won't be able to find a better deal than a Bagger or a TC by miles, especially these days.
That being said... HDs handle tiers better than the BMW. Not just the Road Glide with frame mounted fairings but also the Street Glide with handlebar mounted fairings. These bikes honestly feel like they are 300 pounds lighter than they are. I compare the progressive/linear steering of the HD to my R1250GSA. Predictable, smooth and keeps the line. Full lock turns are easier and non-lock tight turns are WAY easier. On BMWs, you really have to work to keep the steering angle constant while turning, both at high and especially at low speeds. The steering wants to fold in like a sportbike but ... with the downside of it being WAY.... WAY heavier. Under a particular condition - high speed sweepers, BMWs flick slightly better from side to side. Stopping and starting from stops is easier on HDs as well. They just have better balance/geometry.

I thought it was me who wasn't good at controlling the TC but after hopping on the HD, I immediately realized that it was the bike.
I passed a civilian version of a motor officer course, I can do 2 parking space turns on the HD and 1.5 parking lot turns on the GSA.
I could not for the life of me do a 2 parking lot turn on the TC.
This is the primary reason I switched.
Your mileage may vary on this but I want to be able to do a U turn on any bike I ride on a two lane country lane on a dime without worrying about it.
The secondary reason for switching was BMWs overheating. My R18s have overheated 3 times. Once in NYC stop and go traffic. Once, waiting in a slowly moving line to enter a National Park. Finally, stuck in slow moving interstate traffic jam. Granted the TC did manage to go 40 miles in 4.5 hour traffic without over heating this one time.
In hindsight, I can't believe how many "chances" I gave these bikes regarding this. I was so enamored with the R18 line. I still am really...
HDs have rear cylinder deactivation. And you can also add an oil cooler fan... costs extra of course!
Whenever I rode the R18, I always worried about the possibility of overheating.

You can pick up TCs around low 20,000s these days or less if you find a used one. My HD was 36k OTD... without any addons.
Are HDs twice the better bikes as BMWs?... no.
Did I get a HD anyway?... yes.

The choice will come down to what is important to you.

TLDR - my experience
HDs

-Super Expensive
-Scheduled dealer maintenance costs about 500 bucks each time
-Have to add accessories and functions to taste even then there are features that can't be added that are stock on BMWs
-Handles extremely well, especially at low speeds
-Feel like 650 lbs bikes...
-Suspension not great for super light solo rider
-Wind clears helmet extremely well. Street Glide provides wind protection for hands.
-Great ergos
-Parts are cheaper
-Aftermarket support is VAST

BMWs
-Great value
-Scheduled Dealer maintenance costs about 750 bucks each time
-Feature rich
-Handles like a drunken hippo
-Feel like 1000 lbs bikes... because they are (they've been weighed at more than what BMW claims)
-Smart suspension
-TC has better wind protection / Bagger has similar wind protection to Road Glides.
-Poor ergos
-Parts are expensive
-Aftermarket support is miniscule
-A constant nagging worry of overheating rides pillion with you

Note: Steering difference between the Street and the Road Glides was minuscule vs the difference between either of them and the BMWs.

TLDR is your friend 😆.

I figured that there aren't many detailed comparisons from a fan of both bikes.
Usually there is a big bias towards one or the other. If I could, I would own both of them... Especially that white option 719 TC or the 100 year R18 base... They look so dang good.

I have a parallel comparison for you. Transcontinental vs Road Glide Special.

Some context

I ride all brands and all types of motorcycles.
I've owned two Base model First edition R18s and a Transcontinental.
A friend of mine is a general manager at a Harley dealership and offered no limit test rides for me.
I took out both the Street Glide Special and the Road Glide Special.
I ended up riding them for 200 miles.
Words... "longest demo in dealership history" were thrown around.
I ended up trading in the TC tow days later for the Road Glide Special I demoed.
It took me 9 BMWs to get my first HD.
I still love the looks of the R18 and really love how the boxer engine sounds.
I'm convinced that I'll end up owning a base model R18 concurrently with the HD down the line.
Cost aside, I am really happy with the HD.

The comparison: See TLDR if can't be bothered
If you are big into features... you cannot beat BMWs.
These HDs are blank slates in which you have to add on w/e you want after the purchase. Cost becomes astronomical if you want to spec it similarly to the BMW.
Even then, there are features you cannot add on, such as the Adaptive Cruise Control (absolutely awesome), central locking, big o TFT, electronic/automatic preload adjuster and the electric reverse.
The suspension on the BMWs is great, especially for a low weight rider like me (175lbs with gear)... HDs don't feel like they are optimal for someone like me. Especially without a touring pack (another add on!). They ride harsher over bumps than the BMW. I'm considering doing a suspension.... again... expensive.
Leg/feet position on the BMWs were... okayish... for me. Comfortable enough most of the time especially with the occasional leg rest use.
Are the HDs more comfortable? Yes.
The problem with BMWs is the handlebar. Being a smaller guy, the reach was too far. I could barely touch the high side handlebar grip when doing full lock turns. If I wanted to chill on the highway (meaning not leaning forwards), I couldn't hold on to the grips near control clusters but at the bar ends. Moving forward on the tank cramped my leg controls. Never ended up being able to find an aftermarket solution... because this platform lacks aftermarket support.
HDs do have Apple Car Play / Android Auto though. Of course, if you want to make it work at full function, you need to get their CV radio kit or, WHIM (comm adapter) plus expensive HD Sena unit, or Sena Freewire/CV adapter/CV Dealership Activation on the head unit (will work with both Cardo and Sena at that point)... again... expensive.
HDs clear wind over my head and then some (felt by standing up a little). Better than the TC. Also, not having to look through a windscreen unlike on the TC is awesome. Especially in the rain. And if you want a different HD windscreen... they are like... half the price of BMWs counterpart. Parts on HDs are cheaper.
Street glide's fairings are shaped in a way that you get wind protection for your hands... BMWs have similar aesthetics but won't really keep the wind off of your hands.
Road glide doesn't provide that protection.
Road glide compares pretty well with the BMW Bagger in terms of overall wind protection. TC is much better of course with those winglets and the lowers. Again... you can burn some hundred dollar bills to make HDs have similar wind protection as well.
If you are cost conscious, even if you get a used HD, you won't be able to find a better deal than a Bagger or a TC by miles, especially these days.
That being said... HDs handle tiers better than the BMW. Not just the Road Glide with frame mounted fairings but also the Street Glide with handlebar mounted fairings. These bikes honestly feel like they are 300 pounds lighter than they are. I compare the progressive/linear steering of the HD to my R1250GSA. Predictable, smooth and keeps the line. Full lock turns are easier and non-lock tight turns are WAY easier. On BMWs, you really have to work to keep the steering angle constant while turning, both at high and especially at low speeds. The steering wants to fold in like a sportbike but ... with the downside of it being WAY.... WAY heavier. Under a particular condition - high speed sweepers, BMWs flick slightly better from side to side. Stopping and starting from stops is easier on HDs as well. They just have better balance/geometry.

I thought it was me who wasn't good at controlling the TC but after hopping on the HD, I immediately realized that it was the bike.
I passed a civilian version of a motor officer course, I can do 2 parking space turns on the HD and 1.5 parking lot turns on the GSA.
I could not for the life of me do a 2 parking lot turn on the TC.
This is the primary reason I switched.
Your mileage may vary on this but I want to be able to do a U turn on any bike I ride on a two lane country lane on a dime without worrying about it.
The secondary reason for switching was BMWs overheating. My R18s have overheated 3 times. Once in NYC stop and go traffic. Once, waiting in a slowly moving line to enter a National Park. Finally, stuck in slow moving interstate traffic jam. Granted the TC did manage to go 40 miles in 4.5 hour traffic without over heating this one time.
In hindsight, I can't believe how many "chances" I gave these bikes regarding this. I was so enamored with the R18 line. I still am really...
HDs have rear cylinder deactivation. And you can also add an oil cooler fan... costs extra of course!
Whenever I rode the R18, I always worried about the possibility of overheating.

You can pick up TCs around low 20,000s these days or less if you find a used one. My HD was 36k OTD... without any addons.
Are HDs twice the better bikes as BMWs?... no.
Did I get a HD anyway?... yes.

The choice will come down to what is important to you.

TLDR - my experience
HDs

-Super Expensive
-Scheduled dealer maintenance costs about 500 bucks each time
-Have to add accessories and functions to taste even then there are features that can't be added that are stock on BMWs
-Handles extremely well, especially at low speeds
-Feel like 650 lbs bikes...
-Suspension not great for super light solo rider
-Wind clears helmet extremely well. Street Glide provides wind protection for hands.
-Great ergos
-Parts are cheaper
-Aftermarket support is VAST

BMWs
-Great value
-Scheduled Dealer maintenance costs about 750 bucks each time
-Feature rich
-Handles like a drunken hippo
-Feel like 1000 lbs bikes... because they are (they've been weighed at more than what BMW claims)
-Smart suspension
-TC has better wind protection / Bagger has similar wind protection to Road Glides.
-Poor ergos
-Parts are expensive
-Aftermarket support is miniscule
-A constant nagging worry of overheating rides pillion with you

Note: Steering difference between the Street and the Road Glides was minuscule vs the difference between either of them and the BMWs.
I find the 18C slow speed handling very easy...I can feel very little weight...The TC is just too much...as is the HD Glides... I prefer less bike. Plus the R18C Brentuned with the DNA stage 2 makes for a spirited blast...The bike is quick, handles well, especially in the sweepers (be even better with radials) and is solid as hell cruise det at 105 mph..

Reactions: Vyk
I find the 18C slow speed handling very easy...I can feel very little weight...The TC is just too much...as is the HD Glides... I prefer less bike. Plus the R18C Brentuned with the DNA stage 2 makes for a spirited blast...The bike is quick, handles well, especially in the sweepers (be even better with radials) and is solid as hell cruise det at 105 mph..
That is very interesting. I found that when I went from the Base model to the TC, it felt easier to handle at lower speeds. TC/Bagger models have shorter wheelbases than Base/C models. I distinctly remember noticing that difference. I guess different strokes for different people though. Just to tie it back to the thread, when I went from the TC to the Road Glide, the difference I felt was magnitudes larger than the improvement I felt in handling when I went from the Base model to the TC.

I did have a base R18 with Brentune and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I may be in the minority of motorcyclists in general but I really like the sound these huge boxers make and I miss it. The R1250GSA engine doesn't quite make that enjoyable sound even with an Akrapovic exhaust. Might be swapping exhaust on it soon. Maybe the new exhaust will increase my enjoyment.

I agree with most of what Vyk has said above.
I had a 2018 stage 2 Street Glide Special for a while.

Screen/ Infotainment- It didn’t have the latest Boom Box GTS system which arrived in 2019, so no CarPlay option but anything newer can/ does have it. It did also come with stand alone navigation both of which were one of the things BMW got wrong on the Bagger interface imo. Touchscreen on the new GTS systems is great and useable even with gloves on. Even with the hidden antenna fitted, I found the radio much more useable on the HD as well.

Heat - I bought the SGS used and it came with the vented leg fairings fitted. The tourers have the cats in the header pipe and even on the UK I found my right leg getting rather warm. Probably would have been even more noticeable had I not been wearing riding jeans. Never noticed any heat on the Bagger.

Wind protection - stock BMW was far better than a stock Street Glide. My used one came with the ‘dog bowl’ and batwing wind deflectors fitted which were meant to make the biggest difference. It was better than a standard one but the buffeting at 70mph plus was still horrendous for me at 6’. I fitted the shorter screen to my R18B and that fixed the turbulence for me.

Luggage - the bags are larger and more useable on the HD. I touched on this in another thread but BMW imo sacrificed load space for the sake of trying to show off the driveshaft. No tools required to remove the HD bags.

Suspension/ Comfort - R18B wins that one given that the rear suspension has 2” more travel than the SGS. As Vyk mentioned above, this can of course be fixed, usually by fitting 13.5” aftermarket shocks on the HD but comes at a cost. Seat comfort about the same for me and my build but you have so many options for seats on the HD to suit your needs and minimal choices for the BMW.

Weight/ Handling - R18B feels heavy when stationary and doesn’t lose the weight quite as well as the HD when moving however it does feel lighter in the corners mostly because of the boxer. The geometry of the B made it easier to ride than the R18 I exchanged against it despite the extra weight. I preferred the wet clutch in the HD for slow speed manoeuvres.

Performance - HD definitely feels like it has more pep to it because of the lower kerb weight. I’d say the BMW is about the same as a stock 114. It was a little better with the DNA stage 2 filter and servo valves eliminated. There are numerous options to upgrade the HD.

Sound - this is of course subjective and I quite liked the sound of the big boxer at lower rpms but there is no replacement for that 45 degree v twin.

Financials - HD are expensive. They know it, we know it. Even non riders know it. The BMW is also expensive on paper (deals aside) and you will get a lot more bike for your money. That being said, the residuals on HD are almost unmatched. Triumph are probably closest to it here in the UK. The BMW is atrocious in this regard. I was considering going back to an R18 from a B and wanted the 100 years edition. Some of the trade in prices I was offered were laughable at best. BMW have killed the used market on these and it was hard enough to get an offer out of some places, they simply didn’t want it. Not an issue with HD.

Aftermarket - if you’re a tinkerer like I am and like making your bike your own the HD wins hands down. I fitted a few of the BMW accessories available but there isn’t really any aftermarket to speak of. Maybe this will change in future but I have my doubts.

Think that’s the main parts covered 👍🏻

All good stuff... I only recently have been comfortable making a U-Turn within two parking spots; totally agree, the reach on the R18 B makes it a little challenging (I'm only 5' 9").

I definitely feel that I purchased a very high quality and well made bike for the money; the R18 B uses metal for its fenders and cabling is all well hidden; wind protection, I basically added all of the TC wind protection and lighting to my Bagger - which is something I basically decided while it was still on the showroom floor.

On June 7, HD is announcing their new Street Glide and Road Glide; which, looks like they are taking a page from the BMW play book technology-wise... Looks like HD is adding a large TFT screen.

In the end, who cares what you ride - as long as you get out and ride it... Good luck on your search

You could spend over $30k+ on a $20k bike and make it your own or you could spend under $20k for a $30k bike and make it your own. If you care what other people think, get the Harley.

You could spend over $30k+ on a $20k bike and make it your own or you could spend under $20k for a $30k bike and make it your own. If you care what other people think, get the Harley.
That's the issue with me. HDs are just characitures of each other. There is no original Harley....The average person cannot tell the difference between a used Stglide...purchased for 10k, or a new 40k Stglide regardless of accessories. They're sooo common.Chk out the pic. Wth would someone spend 4x that amount on the same bike? My R18C is a black, gleaming jewel that resembles and sounds similar to a vintage Luftwaffe aircraft...with very original character...

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_081325.jpg
    IMG_20230516_081325.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hey all,
I don't have a bagger so my perspective is skewed, but I find my 100yr edition to be about the best handling cruiser bike Ive owned.
I had a Road Glide Special and an Indian Springfield.
Those both felt like just much bigger bikes, because they are.
They're about 850 lbs.
My bike is 730 lbs, which for me as I always ride solo makes it much more manageable and shorter wheelbase makes it more responsive in the twisties.
Im bringing a different bike into the mix I know.
If I were 2 up riding a lot I would go back to either of those bikes.

What I do want to point out that has been mentioned already in that the HD you can do whatever you want to it performance wise.
Given a wheelbarrow full of money you can make your bagger a hotrod.
Sadly with the BMW there isnt anything available to get any real performance gains.
I know to a lot of people that is the last thing on their list.
That said I think the R18 is every bit as peppy as its competitors and in the lower trims less weight is an advantage there.
People often say to me nice bike but the reviews say its underpowered, is that true?
Not at all.

How would you guys rate the giddy up on the bigger R18s? Meaning the bagger, the TC....?

That's the issue with me. HDs are just characitures of each other. There is no original Harley....The average person cannot tell the difference between a used Stglide...purchased for 10k, or a new 40k Stglide regardless of accessories. They're sooo common.Chk out the pic. Wth would someone spend 4x that amount on the same bike? My R18C is a black, gleaming jewel that resembles and sounds similar to a vintage Luftwaffe aircraft...with very original character...
Yeah....
and someone like me can spend 10k and put a 135ci kit in it and have a nice hotrod bagger for just over 20k.
If they offered any real performance parts for our R18 I would be first in line but I know that wont happen.

Yeah....
and someone like me can spend 10k and put a 135ci kit in it and have a nice hotrod bagger for just over 20k.
If they offered any real performance parts for our R18 I would be first in line but I know that wont happen.
U want fast? Buy a 1 liter plus sport bike...It would destroy any Harley and not blow up..lol

Yeah....
When is enough enough? There's always going to be a faster bike, but important is that? What I love about my R18C is the gearing and power/torque curve. It's perfect. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the bike Brentuned and fitted with the DNA stage air box mod. Big, big difference. Oh, and it really likes 93 octane, ethanol free fuel. This combined with SOME MILES on the odometer makes a very noticeable difference. Is it underpowered, no fing way. My 18 rips! I run down Harleys often...no problem. I can be in 3rd gear, set the cruise at 35-40mph, or in 6th at 105 mph, and the motor has PLENTY of throttle left and is rock solid... My other bike is a second generation Honda Valkyrie 1800..( not the first gen 1500 carbed model)..so yeah I know what a powerful, fast bike is. No, the 18 is not as fast as my Valkyrie, but it's gearing is better..and sufficient power is right where you want it.

When is enough enough? There's always going to be a faster bike, but important is that? What I love about my R18C is the gearing and power/torque curve. It's perfect. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the bike Brentuned and fitted with the DNA stage air box mod. Big, big difference. Oh, and it really likes 93 octane, ethanol free fuel. This combined with SOME MILES on the odometer makes a very noticeable difference. Is it underpowered, no fing way. My 18 rips! I run down Harleys often...no problem. I can be in 3rd gear, set the cruise at 35-40mph, or in 6th at 105 mph, and the motor has PLENTY of throttle left and is rock solid... My other bike is a second generation Honda Valkyrie 1800..( not the first gen 1500 carbed model)..so yeah I know what a powerful, fast bike is. No, the 18 is not as fast as my Valkyrie, but it's gearing is better..and sufficient power is right where you want it.
Brentune will add about 4 HP according to his website.
its a 900 dollar 4HP gain.
Not knocking it, its just a very expensive 4hp gain.
I think most of the benefit is throttle response.

If your bike is fast enough why pay Bren 900 dollars for a performance upgrade?

Back