Front Wheel Noise

I have noticed on smooth blacktop roads it very unnoticeable where a not so smooth paved road hums more? It's really no big issue for me, turn the radio up louder, that works for me, LOL.

I had the hum driving my brand new bike out of the dealer. Kind of comes and goes. Most prominent when letting off throttle. It’s louder than the bike at times. The bike I tested had 2,000 miles and no sounds. My RnineT and my K1300S are without odd sounds.
Quite disappointed with the noise but love the bike. Dealer said they would address at 600 mile service but this discussion does not give me much hope of that
Don't have much expectation from the dealership.

I also complained about this at the 600 mile service. They said it's normal.

I notice the noise varies from different types of pavement. louder on more course, rough pavement.

I have noticed on smooth blacktop roads it very unnoticeable where a not so smooth paved road hums more? It's really no big issue for me, turn the radio up louder, that works for me, LOL.
I've noticed the same thing... I've only heard it on one road that is always pretty rough... Especially after the winter season

The noise is coming from the resonance of the metallic shock covers; they are metal and if you knock on them, they ring like a bell.

Maybe you can tuck some felt pieces up and in between the cover and shock, in order to reduce the resonance ringing.

Are you sure? Because i checked them, and i even took the fender off, coated the underside in bedliner.. and it still makes noise... The shock covers on mine don't sound to "tinny"

The noise is coming from the resonance of the metallic shock covers; they are metal and if you knock on them, they ring like a bell.

Maybe you can tuck some felt pieces up and in between the cover and shock, in order to reduce the resonance ringing.
That may be the reason that they call them 'Cow Bells' on the FLH 😁

Reviving this old thread as I am experiencing the same road noise. It is worse on some surfaces and silent on others and is very tricky to track down - very distracting.
If I knock on the front fender with my knuckle, there is a definite resonance which sounds a bit like the noise that I hear when on the move.
I notice that some of you have put rubber washers on the fender mounts but I don't think this will make any difference unless you isolate the fender completely by drilling out the fender mounting holes to accept 'proper' isolators like these.........
1717831419532.png
This should stop all metal-to-metal contact between fender and forks, putting rubber between them.
I will be trying this when I get the parts and might paint the inside of the fender with Bed Liner too.
I will update here when I have reassembled everything.

Meanwhile, has anyone else come to any conclusions?

It's not the fender... It's the two pieces that cover the front fork shocks; I found the root cause of the noise by accident, I had already modified my front fender with rubber isolation bushings with no change in reducing the noise.

While installing the TC Auxiliary Lights on my Model B, and replacing the Model B mounting brackets for the directional lights; I discovered the "bell" like resonance when removing the directional light's mounting brackets. There are two torx screws that secure the bell housing on each shock; you can try disconnecting the plastic cap or directional mounting caps from the bell housings in order to maneuver the pieces and installing furniture felt strips up within the inner wall of the bell housing.

Any hardware store sells furniture felt pads which are used to not scratch hardwood floors:

Screenshot_20240608-065411.png

Having had a closer look I can see what you mean - they are like two cow bells!
I loosened the two torx screws and that reduced the noise a lot so they will definitely have to be dealt with now - I am guessing that the only way to remove them is to first remove the wheel, fender & fork legs, then try and pack them with some kind of sound deadening material as you suggest, although I don't think the felt pads are a good idea as they will absorb water and encourage corrosion - probably better to have the heavy rubber type that is used in car audio installations.

I have a metal polish which comes in a metal tin, which is basically wading; perhaps, packing that up within the bell housing will work? I'm not sure how long it will remain up within the bell housing though...

I like the furniture strips, because I can stick them to the inner wall of the bell housing and they're not likely to fall out while out riding.

All sorts of options here - I reckon the heavy self-adhesive matting will be a better bet to stop the 'ringing'
I'm only sharing based on my own experience... I can't remember the last time I heard the "humm"... I ride on the same road which was my base-line..

I can't 'unhear' the sound now and it really does dominate every ride.
Found this drawing which might help. As I suspected, the only way to get any kind of sound deadening material in there is to remove the fork legs first
In a worst-case scenario I am even prepared to remove the shrouds all together to stop the noise

Attachments

• Fork Shrouds.png
    Fork Shrouds.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 6
Well this is puzzling - I loosened the torx screws holding the fork shrouds to the lower triple tree - just to see how much movement there was. After re-tightening everything I am surprised to find the noise has gone! I think the shrouds must have been under tension and simply loosening the screws 'relaxed' them enough to stop them ringing like cow bells.
Time will tell I guess (crosses fingers) ;)

Well this is puzzling - I loosened the torx screws holding the fork shrouds to the lower triple tree - just to see how much movement there was. After re-tightening everything I am surprised to find the noise has gone! I think the shrouds must have been under tension and simply loosening the screws 'relaxed' them enough to stop them ringing like cow bells.
Time will tell I guess (crosses fingers) ;)
Hmmm .... that is some good info there ... my fork 'creeks' a bit when I put on the brakes ... can't figure out where it is coming from .. maybe the it has the same cause ... easy enough to try ... thanks!

Back