Feeling old… throttle wrist R18FE

motoring

No reply needed unless you likewise feel this is an issue and/or resolved it.
Possible I have just been using my ipad too much lately though noticed while riding the R18 it seems I have to bend my wrist a bit such that it rotates to increase throttle in a downward position which results in a bend in the wrist that is uncomfortable. Only have 400 miles on the bike so not using cruise control yet.
Just wondering if anyone likewise has this issue and if you rotated the handlebars a tad higher as a result. I have one of those plastic slide on throttle palm rest somewhere so will try that mean time.

Yeah, try rotating the bar a little away. Should put the start of the rotation more over the bar so you end more neutral than below.

Ever since I stopped riding cruisers and switched to touring bikes I have gotten lazy and used the cruise control. Aging does this to a rider.

Not specific to the R18 but nowadays I try to find a cruising speed that suits the day and not just ride the speed limit of the road I happen to be on. What I mean is ride the weather aswell as the road e.g. the wind direction, the wind speed. I will find that sweet spot where I can relax my whole body, I’m not fighting hard against the elements and thus holding onto the bars hard or at awkward angles. It’s much more pleasant especially on a unfaired bike with an open riding stance. I don’t care if people overtake, know what I mean? I find this mindset helps a lot.

No reply needed unless you likewise feel this is an issue and/or resolved it.
Possible I have just been using my ipad too much lately though noticed while riding the R18 it seems I have to bend my wrist a bit such that it rotates to increase throttle in a downward position which results in a bend in the wrist that is uncomfortable. Only have 400 miles on the bike so not using cruise control yet.
Just wondering if anyone likewise has this issue and if you rotated the handlebars a tad higher as a result. I have one of those plastic slide on throttle palm rest somewhere so will try that mean time.
I noticed that my wrist aches (sometimes ) after a long ride. My FE isn't equipped with cruise. The grip puppy helps and I have installed a throttle lock. Use the cruise! Age is a thing

Thanks all, will rotate the handlebar just a bit though will hit 600 miles after I put on 200 more so will wait to take her in for her first service and have them do that since I want to see if likewise they need to tilt the master brake so it is level. Though that begs the question...does rotating that in turn move the throttle position back down again which would end up making it as it was before I titled the bars up a bit.
Or to say another way, is the throttle grip connected, if you will, to the entire right bar brake level eyesight thing?
And trust me, if I was not in break-in period still I would be using that cruise control the live long day when warranted and safe to do so lol. That plus I am varying the speed up and down so I don't keep it at a set speed too long during break-in. I am hoping I can do 4,100 rpm max during break-in...will go google that point as the manual leaves me wondering the way they state it.

Enjoy the ride all

Thanks all, will rotate the handlebar just a bit though will hit 600 miles after I put on 200 more so will wait to take her in for her first service and have them do that since I want to see if likewise they need to tilt the master brake so it is level. Though that begs the question...does rotating that in turn move the throttle position back down again which would end up making it as it was before I titled the bars up a bit.
Or to say another way, is the throttle grip connected, if you will, to the entire right bar brake level eyesight thing?
And trust me, if I was not in break-in period still I would be using that cruise control the live long day when warranted and safe to do so lol. That plus I am varying the speed up and down so I don't keep it at a set speed too long during break-in. I am hoping I can do 4,100 rpm max during break-in...will go google that point as the manual leaves me wondering the way they state it.

Enjoy the ride all
As TodkaVonic mentioned earlier, try adjusting the way in which you initially grab the throttle. You rotate the throttle to the position needed for the speed desired, so you can change your wrist angle easily by just changing your hand position on the grip. I do this all the time on all my bikes to have a neutral wrist at whatever speed I’m holding. For example, if you find your hand is pointing up at your desired throttle position, try grabbing the throttle with your hand rotated more downward at idle. Do the opposite if you find your hand is pointing down at your target throttle. Adjust as needed.

Rotating the bars will more affect the angle of your elbow and shoulder. On some bikes the brake/clutch levers are locked to a position on the handlebar, so rotating the bars is the only way to adjust the angle of the lever relative to your wrist. On most bikes, you can adjust the lever rotation on the bar so you can have a neutral wrist position for the brakes as well.

Have you tried a crampbuster? I've had them on every bike I've owned. Cruise control is nice, but rarely usable outside of highways. Crampbusters allow you to get some throttle hand relief for 2 seconds or 20 minutes regardless of the situation.

Yes will try that. The Aleve is not doing it for me yet so will keep taking one each day :) for some more days. Thinking it was Monday of this week I was last on the bike.

Back