Exhaust flapper mod and dilemma over part numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
So i have to unplug the control module and physical cable? I thought it fails open if I unplug?
If you unplug the wiring, it fails open. If you plug it back in, the internal error code goes away and the servo functions as intended. There's no reason as far as I can tell to mess with the servo cables or any other hardware at any point. Either disconnect the cables and zip-tie them away with something covering the connector, or install a servo buddy, whichever you prefer.

When you disconnect the cable anchors from the exhaust flap cam; the spring tension pulls the internal flap in the OPEN position, within the exhaust system.

The top picture in the below collage, shows the cable anchors coming from the servo motor controller; the cable anchors are shown on each side of the pictured air filter shown in the below picture.

Remove the Torx screw which holds a plastic cap over the cam wheel, where the cable anchors are attached. There's a thru bolt, which you can loosen in order to create slack on the cable; this will allow you to manipulate the anchor free from it's anchor point.

Screenshot_20230324-135555.png

Last edited:
What are the advantages of removing the servo from the exhaust system. I already have Burnetune installed so I have to re-flash the tune? Please advise I have also done the factory fishtail exhaust mod with Mike the Toyshop in UK 🇬🇧 . Thanks

So i have to unplug the control module and physical cable? I thought it fails open if I unplug?
I'm not 100% sure that happens; it would be worth looking at the position of each flap cam and see if it moves when disconnecting the two plugs on the servo motor controller (one per side).

Probably worth testing with the bike running to; however, I'm assuming that the plug provides power to the servo motor; which...
no plug = no power... Who knows would state the flap is in, when power is pulled..

I would assume that the flaps are in the open position when the bike is powered off; so disconnecting the controller while the bike is off, would leave the cams in a fixed open position.

I also understand that removing the cable anchors, will allow the flap to move in an OPEN state via spring tension; once the cables are removed - the servo motors can move freely, basically suppressing any error codes. The servo buddy modules allows you to remove the servo motor controller (heavy weight), without generating any errors codes.

A lot of assumptions..

Me, I would remove the entire servo motor controller module without damaging any of the cables and anchors; save all the parts (plastic caps & screws) so that I can return bike back to stock if need be (warranty service). Buy the servo buddy modules, install them and call it a day..

What are the advantages of removing the servo from the exhaust system. I already have Burnetune installed so I have to re-flash the tune? Please advise I have also done the factory fishtail exhaust mod with Mike the Toyshop in UK 🇬🇧 . Thanks
Removing or disabling makes it where the bike doesn't go quiet at idle/low RPM. Some speculate that disabling them may remedy some heat issues in stop/go situations (I haven't seen anyone test such a thing). You don't need a new tune with them disabled (can't speak too "removed" if you mean get new headers without them).

It's most/all a noise thing. I had the brentune prior to getting slip ons, and didn't notice it as much, but as soon as I got open exhaust it was pretty stupid sounding to go from loud to silent constantly based on throttle position.

Removing or disabling makes it where the bike doesn't go quiet at idle/low RPM. Some speculate that disabling them may remedy some heat issues in stop/go situations (I haven't seen anyone test such a thing). You don't need a new tune with them disabled (can't speak too "removed" if you mean get new headers without them).

It's most/all a noise thing. I had the brentune prior to getting slip ons, and didn't notice it as much, but as soon as I got open exhaust it was pretty stupid sounding to go from loud to silent constantly based on throttle position.
Thank you for sharing this

Ordered the sku# 1072318 (Top one) and I have about 150 miles to go for my 600 mile service....
I've decided to totally remove the servos and install these after the service.

Will update once Installed.

Ordered the sku# 1072318 (Top one) and I have about 150 miles to go for my 600 mile service....
I've decided to totally remove the servos and install these after the service.

Will update once Installed.
Did you ever get to removing the servos and the cables? How did it go?

When you disconnect the cable anchors from the exhaust flap cam; the spring tension pulls the internal flap in the OPEN position, within the exhaust system.
Maybe be in your case. This is what I did and after I started the bike and it was whisper quiet I pulled the mufflers off and they were both 100% closes. I had to manually disable them both. FYI

Back