Exhaust flapper mod and dilemma over part numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

Which one of these part numbers can be used for the exhaust flapper mod? Both are being used by different guys on this forum. I dont see how both can work?
servo buddy part # P318455.jpg
servo buddy part #p362270.jpg

I dont see how they can both work?

See the previous Post by LongShot; he has installed the Servo Buddy modules on three R18 bikes. He provided a RevZilla link which points you to the model pictured on top that you provided in your original post. Personally, I like that design vs the module with the wiring pigtail design; I think the top pictured model looks cleaner.

Post in thread 'Exhaust Servo' https://www.r18forums.com/threads/exhaust-servo.1435/post-26383

Last edited:
Attached are the fitment tabs on both parts.
Since they are similar, I would say go for it, but I'm just taking an educated guess.

I'll be going down this road after my 600 mile service, so I will be following.

Please update us on the progress.

IMG_6450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6451.png
    IMG_6451.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 6
Attached are the fitment tabs on both parts.
Since they are similar, I would say go for it, but I'm just taking an educated guess.

I'll be going down this road after my 600 mile service, so I will be following.

Please update us on the progress.

View attachment 9384
RevZilla has a pretty good return policy; I would go for the all in one module vs the module with the pigtail. The all in one module looks cleaner, especially since it will be located underneath the bike; exposed to rain spray and such.

Thanks everyone.
I think the distinct part numbers have more to do with style and form rather than function. So far I have not seen any mention on this forum of error codes popping up with either one.

I’ve disabled the exhaust servos on 3 of my BMWs, and have never found the need to use these.

The code it throws is entirely internal, and goes away as soon as the bike sees the servos again (ie you reconnect them).

Afaict this purely eliminates an internal code that otherwise affects nothing.

I’ve disabled the exhaust servos on 3 of my BMWs, and have never found the need to use these.

The code it throws is entirely internal, and goes away as soon as the bike sees the servos again (ie you reconnect them).

Afaict this purely eliminates an internal code that otherwise affects nothing.
Comparing only to my R9T, but the R18 servo cables are VASTLY more difficult to remove and reengage because of their location and lack of slack available. After messing with it a couple of times, I opted for the servo-buddy to avoid the frustration.

interesting. So you're say you don't get a check engine light at all? What did you do to protect the terminal ends from rain/dust/debris etc.?
Correct. The warning is an internal code only and goes away immediately when it detects the servos again (verified on each bike on the diag computer).

I used a heat shrink end cap over it then zip-tied them out of the way.

Disconnect the cables to the servos
They fail open
Problem solved
If you mean disconnect the mechanical cables at the other end, they're inside a box that's not very easy to get to or open (never gotten all the way inside it, so no idea what the cables look like in there). If you're talking about the electrical connection controlling the mechanical cable, you won't get a CEL, but unless you have a code reader to clear them, the error history will be there at your next service even if you plug them back in.

May not be a problem depending on your dealer, but $60 to do it cleanly is money I'm willing to pay.

If you mean disconnect the mechanical cables at the other end, they're inside a box that's not very easy to get to or open (never gotten all the way inside it, so no idea what the cables look like in there). If you're talking about the electrical connection controlling the mechanical cable, you won't get a CEL, but unless you have a code reader to clear them, the error history will be there at your next service even if you plug them back in.

May not be a problem depending on your dealer, but $60 to do it cleanly is money I'm willing to pay.
Hey if anyone’s for $60 burning a hole in their pocket, go for it.

Even if you have a code reader to clear it, the code will persist until you reconnect it.

If you come across a dealership that has an issue with this code, you need to find a proper dealership. I haven’t seen a single mention of a code like this being an issue for a claim in any forum, and it’s certainly never been an issue at our dealership…

Disconnecting and putting some shrink tube caps on the end is just as clean as paying $60 for this in my opinion. The code is purely noting that it doesn’t detect the exhaust servo. It’s a non issue.

Hey if anyone’s for $60 burning a hole in their pocket, go for it.

Even if you have a code reader to clear it, the code will persist until you reconnect it.

If you come across a dealership that has an issue with this code, you need to find a proper dealership. I haven’t seen a single mention of a code like this being an issue for a claim in any forum, and it’s certainly never been an issue at our dealership…

Disconnecting and putting some shrink tube caps on the end is just as clean as paying $60 for this in my opinion. The code is purely noting that it doesn’t detect the exhaust servo. It’s a non issue.
I was saying that even if you plug it back in, the fault history will still exist until you clear it with a code reader. 100% may have no issues, especially on routine service. As I understand it BMW has a very recent history of denying warranty claims for completely unrelated issues (some in litigation currently or recently). Brand new platform, gremlins for plenty of folks.

"Oh, too much heat bent your piston rods. You tampering with the exhaust servo affected exhaust heat evacuation. Claim denied" not saying DON'T DO IT, but folks paying 20-30k for a toy might decide to err on the safe side and drop $60.

I was saying that even if you plug it back in, the fault history will still exist until you clear it with a code reader. 100% may have no issues, especially on routine service. As I understand it BMW has a very recent history of denying warranty claims for completely unrelated issues (some in litigation currently or recently). Brand new platform, gremlins for plenty of folks.

"Oh, too much heat bent your piston rods. You tampering with the exhaust servo affected exhaust heat evacuation. Claim denied" not saying DON'T DO IT, but folks paying 20-30k for a toy might decide to err on the safe side and drop $60.
Ok we're in speculative mode but let say I have to do my 6k service and leave the servo buddys plugged in... that'll potentially void my warranty also no?

Ok we're in speculative mode but let say I have to do my 6k service and leave the servo buddys plugged in... that'll potentially void my warranty also no?
Nothing voids your warranty.

If BMW determines that something you did causes a failure that you're attempting to file a claim for, BMW may deny that specific claim.

The servo buddy will make it so the bike doesn't throw an internal code. So unless the tech spotted the hardware, they wouldn't know you had them there.

The Servo Control Module & physical cable anchors are fairly easy to remove and re-install within the exhaust gates and underbelly of the bike, the night before dropping off the bike at the service shop...

At least that's what I would do...

The Servo Control Module & physical cable anchors are fairly easy to remove and re-install within the exhaust gates and underbelly of the bike, the night before dropping off the bike at the service shop...

At least that's what I would do...
So i have to unplug the control module and physical cable? I thought it fails open if I unplug?

Back