Erratic heated grips

Does anyone know why, on the odd occasion, the heated grips come back on automatically after the bike's been switched off and on again? Is there a secret protocol I've accidently stumbled on that would make our world a better place?

Does anyone know why, on the odd occasion, the heated grips come back on automatically after the bike's been switched off and on again? Is there a secret protocol I've accidently stumbled on that would make our world a better place?
Maybe you have your heated grips set to ON and at a specific Level?

This is the case. If you switched the heated grips ahead of a journey, once you switch the bike off and then back in later on, the systems will remember the last setting and the grips will comeback on. Essentially, you will need to switch them off before turning the machine off if you don’t want them next time. Think of it like an automatic set up. 😉

It is very difficult to determine if the grips are OFF or On the control is not intuitive on the FE. Notice that the only way to tell it is off if there are no dots are showing. IMG_0754.jpeg

Last edited:
I must admit, it is the same on the Bagger. One needs to go to the Settings menu and then scroll to the heating menu and see what the setting is/was. There is not an on and off switch at hand.
To be honest, I seem to remember that I left them on and don’t bother changing anything as the temperatures in the UK are still on the low side. Once it gets warmer I will switch them off completely. In terms of settings, I find it that at level 2 I feel that warmth quite comfortably. 3 is a bit too much for my liking.

I regularly happen to incidentally press on the heater swich, instead of the start button.
I notice it later when the grips are too hots.
But it's easy to switch em off on the FE.

BMW states this as a feature/benefit on the R18. They should come back on where you left them. just switch them off... now do that before you take off or you will shut your bike off :)... but anyway, just turn the grips off before you ride.

I must admit, it is the same on the Bagger. One needs to go to the Settings menu and then scroll to the heating menu and see what the setting is/was. There is not an on and off switch at hand.
To be honest, I seem to remember that I left them on and don’t bother changing anything as the temperatures in the UK are still on the low side. Once it gets warmer I will switch them off completely. In terms of settings, I find it that at level 2 I feel that warmth quite comfortably. 3 is a bit too much for my liking.
When my heated grips are on there is a icon on the bottom left of the TFT which shows a grip and the level they are at

Back