English Anvil & Vice šŸ‘

Rufus

Site Supporter
Well chaps, after quite some time of scanning the classified ads for something nearish to me at the right price Iā€™ve finally realised a long time ambitionā€¦..to bag myself an anvil and proper Vice.

Pictures below. I got lucky, real lucky and purchased them from a retired 82 year old gent who had been a master craftsman. He was about 90 miles away from me so it was a bit of a trek but worth it.

The Vice is in excellent condition with a makers stamp Nash and Sons Stourbridge, the anvil weight is 118lbs, with old English (CWT) hundredweight markings 1 0 6 stamped on the side. Itā€™s got mouse holes and as far as I can tell is forged. There are some really faint stamp marks under the paint that I can partially read 1852 and also a very clear H on the base but that could mean anything. Of course I could and probably will message the seller to ask anyway but part of the fun is the quest isnā€™t it? Iā€™ve already learnt way more about anvils than I thought these last 24 hours since I picked them up. Itā€™s got a square ā€˜hardyā€™ hole but no ā€˜pritchelā€™ hole, apparently that means it could even be pre 1820.

So, over the next week or so Iā€™m going to shuffle the garage about to mount these. Love the R18 but thatā€™s going to have to wait a bit before it comes out to play, new big boy toys

IMG_1392.jpegIMG_1389.jpegIMG_1390.jpeg lol šŸ‘

Love tools!! This is great. Whats the first project?

Ultimately Iā€˜d like to do some of these garden wind sculpture things because they are amazing but Iā€™m a complete noob with zero experience so itā€™s best to calm myself down a bit first and keep it all realistic but it should be fun no matter what. Might look into a metalworking college course or somethingā€¦.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ultimately Iā€˜d like to do some of these garden wind sculpture things because they are amazing but Iā€™m a complete noob with zero experience so itā€™s best to calm myself down a bit first and keep it all realistic but it should be fun no matter what. Might look into a metalworking college course or somethingā€¦.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Well, experienced people were once inexperienced too.

Well chaps, after quite some time of scanning the classified ads for something nearish to me at the right price Iā€™ve finally realised a long time ambitionā€¦..to bag myself an anvil and proper Vice.

Pictures below. I got lucky, real lucky and purchased them from a retired 82 year old gent who had been a master craftsman. He was about 90 miles away from me so it was a bit of a trek but worth it.

The Vice is in excellent condition with a makers stamp Nash and Sons Stourbridge, the anvil weight is 118lbs, with old English (CWT) hundredweight markings 1 0 6 stamped on the side. Itā€™s got mouse holes and as far as I can tell is forged. There are some really faint stamp marks under the paint that I can partially read 1852 and also a very clear H on the base but that could mean anything. Of course I could and probably will message the seller to ask anyway but part of the fun is the quest isnā€™t it? Iā€™ve already learnt way more about anvils than I thought these last 24 hours since I picked them up. Itā€™s got a square ā€˜hardyā€™ hole but no ā€˜pritchelā€™ hole, apparently that means it could even be pre 1820.

So, over the next week or so Iā€™m going to shuffle the garage about to mount these. Love the R18 but thatā€™s going to have to wait a bit before it comes out to play, new big boy toys

View attachment 11312View attachment 11313View attachment 11314 lol šŸ‘
Excellent stuff.
I am a sucker for tools, specially the old ones that were meant to last a lifetime and beyond.

I've always been obsessive compulsive in some of the things I really enjoy like vintage hand tools and motorcycles amongst other hobbies. Finally ran out of space for motorcycles though... :rolleyes:

Back