Engine temperature

I've only had my R18 FE for a couple of weeks - so I'm still familiarising myself with it and tailoring the simple things to my liking.

One such thing is the settings for the display - and while I have it 95% the way I'd like it - for the life of me, I can not get it to display the engine temperature in the Multi-function display

I've followed the manual (several times), I understand that you have to tell it that you want it displayed and then you can turn it on or off as part of the "setup" - I've done both, multiple times.

Am I the only one having this challenge? Is there are "trick" to getting it right?

Any help appreciated.

I may be ignorant, but I thought it didn't display the engine temperature, there is just a warning light if it's getting too hot. Someone else will know for sure.

I may be ignorant, but I thought it didn't display the engine temperature, there is just a warning light if it's getting too hot. Someone else will know for sure.
You may be right - I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading.

My interpretation of what's in the manual (see attached) is that you can make it something you can scroll to with the "Menu" button.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 61
You may be right - I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading.

My interpretation of what's in the manual (see attached) is that you can make it something you can scroll to with the "Menu" button.
I'm reading it the same way you are. Looks like I was wrong. Now I'll have to dig into mine! Cheers.

Strange .. I have been through that menu at least 5 times, customizing what is displayed, and I don't recall a 'Temperature' option ... now I have to look again, I always thought knowing the temperature would be a great thing .. thanks!

I took “Schultz” in for a service today. The tech was awesome. It seems my ‘21 FE doesn’t have this feature activated from the factory.

He’s asking “why not”, since it’s in the owners manual.

Not a big deal - but the tech & I are now curious.

Hmmm .. does that mean that it can be activated? ... on a '21 FE?
Now I have to see if I can find out, Thanks!

EDIT: I contacted BMW ... let's see what they say ...

Last edited:
Hmmm .. does that mean that it can be activated? ... on a '21 FE?
Now I have to see if I can find out, Thanks!

EDIT: I contacted BMW ... let's see what they say ...
I’m really not sure. I guess that’s the 2nd part of the question.

I’ll update when there’s something to report.

Maybe you were given the wrong owner’s manual? I own a 2021 R18 FE and page 38 of the owner’s manual does indeed indicate that engine temperature should be one of the display’s options (thank you, as I didn’t know this and I will try it over the weekend). I also have a 2022 R18 that came with an owner’s manual that in addition to being much smaller than the one for the FE, also does not list the engine temperature as one of the display’s option. I think you can download the right manual from bmw’s website by entering 4 or 6 digits out of your VIN.

I've owned many bikes, and they all go tick tick tick when I turn them off.
There is one exception...... the R18TC. BMW found a way to keep this bike running cool.
Yes I am aware there is oil cooling but my Harley has oil cooling and it still goes tick tick tick when I turn it off.

It's pretty hilarious that BMW thought the "power reserve" gauge was the best way to fill the basically cosmetic analog gauges, but decided against any way to show engine temp digitally or analog on a bike that can very obviously overheat in fairly common situations.

初めて書きます。
日本に住んでいますが、ディーラーに確認したところ、説明書に記載されている油温計は存在しないと言われてしまいました。そこで「ヨシムラ」製の油温計を取り付けてみました。先日の2km渋滞では油温が115℃以上になりましたが、エンジンには問題ありませんでした。そういう意味では、R18は走っている限り油温を気にすることはないと思います。油温計を取り付けたばかりですが報告します。

I write for the first time.
I live in Japan, but when I checked with the dealer, I was told that the oil temperature gauge mentioned in the instructions does not exist. Therefore, I installed an oil temperature gauge made by "Yoshimura". In the 2km traffic jam the other day, the oil temperature was over 115°C, but there was no problem with the engine. In that sense, I don't think the R18 will worry about oil temperature as long as it is running. I just installed an oil temperature gauge, but I will report it.
Thank you for the info, Yama. If the Yoshimura temp gauge works well on the R18, could you share product information or perhaps a picture?

ヴァーグさん
分かりました。ただ、今は日本は夜なので、近いうちに写真などの情報をお知らせします。

I really hope Google translate works ... ;)
「ヨシムラ」温度計へのリンクを送っていただけますか?妻は今日本にいるので、もしかしたら私のために買って持って帰ってくれるかもしれません。
ありがとう。

Ulrich
I'm sorry if Google Translate didn't work well.

Regarding the "Yoshimura" sensor, I think I can let you know about the product in about 10 hours. Because I have to go to work now.

Daijōbu my friend ... life comes first! She will be there for another 2 weeks .. plenty of time and my daughter and grandson live there in case it takes longer :) take your time ... I am also very interested to see where the sending unit attaches, I hope English works for you .. I can only do English and German proficiently ... sorry

初めて書きます。
日本に住んでいますが、ディーラーに確認したところ、説明書に記載されている油温計は存在しないと言われてしまいました。そこで「ヨシムラ」製の油温計を取り付けてみました。先日の2km渋滞では油温が115℃以上になりましたが、エンジンには問題ありませんでした。そういう意味では、R18は走っている限り油温を気にすることはないと思います。油温計を取り付けたばかりですが報告します。
115°C (239°F) is pushing it in a close-tolerance EURO-5 engine, in my opinion: and

Back