Engine Guard

Hi everyone. New to the site, but a long time BMW rider (as well as anything else with 2 wheels). Just got my new R18 and was finally able to order saddlebags. I self engineered a Windvest windshield from a 2020 HD Deluxe by flipping the bracket upside down and adding a stainless steel 2" extension. Works great. Windvest would not fabricate a bracket for me. Left me a little disappointed with Windvest. Anyway mine works great. I just ordered an engine guard from Wunderlich USA. 4-5 week supposed delivery...we'll see. They're usually very reliable. Does anyone have experience with the tall handlebars? They look great (to me) and I've had apes on a few HD bikes in my time. I'd appreciate opinions. Thanks and ride safe. Ray

I ordered a set R18 engine protection bars from Max BMW and received similar information on deliver. This is an excerpt from the email “
Good morning,

I wanted to give you an update on your order. 1 item is going to be delayed coming from BMW

1 x 77 14 9 446 054 engine prot. Bars

This number will be superseding to a new number and it will not be available until 3/1/2021 in Germany. We normally get product 2 weeks after Germany does.

Hi everyone. New to the site, but a long time BMW rider (as well as anything else with 2 wheels). Just got my new R18 and was finally able to order saddlebags. I self engineered a Windvest windshield from a 2020 HD Deluxe by flipping the bracket upside down and adding a stainless steel 2" extension. Works great. Windvest would not fabricate a bracket for me. Left me a little disappointed with Windvest. Anyway mine works great. I just ordered an engine guard from Wunderlich USA. 4-5 week supposed delivery...we'll see. They're usually very reliable. Does anyone have experience with the tall handlebars? They look great (to me) and I've had apes on a few HD bikes in my time. I'd appreciate opinions. Thanks and ride safe. Ray
Can you upload some photos of your WindVest windscreen fabrication?

Hi GailandRay. Congrats on your ownership of the R18. I guess that we're all going to be disappointed with the availability of factory accessories. It makes me wonder if I should laugh or get angry when I "play" with the "build your bike" part of the BMW website. Hopefully the aftermarket will step in quickly and produce lots of goodies. After all, the factory and all the talking heads in magazines and in the internet claimed that the R18 was designed to be particularly customizable. Time and sales numbers of the R18 will tell the tale.

This is the windvest from a 2020 HD Deluxe. I just took it apart, turned the bracket upside down, got a 2mm stainless steel straight bracket and did a little cutting and drilling. It works great. Very solid. Just takes a few adjustments. Necessity is the mother of invention. Think I just got lucky.

Attachments

• 0108211526a.jpg
    0108211526a.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 0108211527.jpg
    0108211527.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 0108211526.jpg
    0108211526.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 14
Nicely done. I went with a generic wind screen I found on Amazon. It's a bit fugly, but when the OEM wind screens arrive n March, I'll probably drop the dime on one even though they will cost a bunch.

Apologies to the OP for highjacking this thread.

R18_windscreen.jpeg

Back