Engine / Crash Bars Update

Apologies in advance for revisiting this topic, but it's been a while since there's been anything on it and as I'm currently looking, I thought it worthwhile to get any new feedback based on folks experiences - good, bad or otherwise.

There's a wide cross-section of alternatives in brand, design, tube thickness, no doubt quality and naturally price.

My observation on what's been written so far has me leaning towards Roadstyler - the quality seems good, the price is certainly good and the availability is OK.

Other brand - DK Design, Hornig, Wunderlich, SW-Motech and OEM (BMW)

Thoughts???

Any and all feedback is welcome & much appreciated.
Cheers..

I recently got a stainless Hornig ($700 aud) mounted it.... all is ok but.... I thought "mmmmm"..... the bar isn't really braced "rearwards".... like the ones on my r nine t is.... so the Hornig would "flex/bend" backwards much more readily..... then I looked at the $1200aud Wunderlich and thought.... that is how it should be done.... but too late for me....

If I was saving $300 per month.... and I was going to keep my R18 for a fair while.... I would save 2 months longer and get the Wunderlich.

Last edited:
I recently got a stainless Hornig ($700 aud) mounted it.... all is ok but.... I thought "mmmmm"..... the bar isn't really braced "rearwards".... like the ones on my r nine t is.... so the Hornig would "flex/bend" backwards much more readily..... then I looked at the $1200aud Wunderlich and thought.... that is how it should be done.... but too late for me....

If I was saving $300 per month.... and I was going to keep my R18 for a fair while.... I would save 2 months longer and get the Wunderlich.
Thank you - that's good insight.

Is this the kind of design you're thinking - if you look at the installation instructions, it shows it best.

https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/crashbars-sw-motech/4394-crash-bars-engine-guard-bmw-r-18-2020-

These are SW-Motech, German made, through their AU distributor in Perth $A546 + Aust shipping

I think they do in chrome also - that may be helpful based on your comments

Thanks for your feedback

I had the factory bars on my R18 when it was hit by a van (while it was parked) and knocked over. They did get scratches on both sides but didn't bend at all. My valve cover did get scratched, as did my muffler on the side that met the pavement.

I was very impressed with the quality and ease of install. If I decide to run them again, I would likely go with the factory ones again.

I had the factory bars on my R18 when it was hit by a van (while it was parked) and knocked over. They did get scratches on both sides but didn't bend at all. My valve cover did get scratched, as did my muffler on the side that met the pavement.

I was very impressed with the quality and ease of install. If I decide to run them again, I would likely go with the factory ones again.
Thanks for the insight - BMW certainly makes / sources quality products

I have the DK Design guards on my R18 Classic. I was rear ended at a stoplight a year ago this past June. There was no damage to the valve covers or my saddle bags. When the dealer inspected the bike, they did find cosmetic damage to the middle section of the exhaust cover and the floorboard. I was able to ride the bike home from the accident, so I call that a win I guess.

My only complaint is that I haven’t found a good way to mount highway pegs. I think I may be stuck with the Wunderlich leg rests.

Back