Engine crash bars for the Bagger

Anibal

Site Supporter
Dear all.

I would like to add a set of engine and panniers crash bars, preferably in black as my engine, frame and fork is also black.

I like the moustache shape that Motea does but it seems to be only for the classic model.

For the panniers I much prefer the Wunderlich ones. Ideally I should buy from one place to get color matching etc, I just don’t like the oval shape Wunderlich designed for the engine bars.

Does anyone knows if the Motea engine bar for the classic also fits the Bagger? I am doubtful as the frame is slightly different but I am not expert.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 23
From a quality standpoint; I would definitely go with Wunderlich, which has a black color option. I'd also recommend the BMW OEM engine protection bar, perhaps have it painted; not sure, but maybe BMW offers a dark color to match the ROCTANE and or 719 optioned B Models?

The OEM engine protection bar will give you options down the road if you should ever decide to add the Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces; besides, I see 3rd party engine protection parts completely folded over from bikes going down, where the quality and strength just isn't meeting the bare minimum.

TBH - you probably only need the OEM Engine Protection Bar.

From a quality standpoint; I would definitely go with Wunderlich, which has a black color option. I'd also recommend the BMW OEM engine protection bar, perhaps have it painted; not sure, but maybe BMW offers a dark color to match the ROCTANE and or 719 optioned B Models?

The OEM engine protection bar will give you options down the road if you should ever decide to add the Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces; besides, I see 3rd party engine protection parts completely folded over from bikes going down, where the quality and strength just isn't meeting the bare minimum.

TBH - you probably only need the OEM Engine Protection Bar.
True that.. i have the oem engine guard and the Wunderlich pannier guard.. I had an unfortunate drop at one of the light and the bime only touched one part of the engine guard.. pannier guard didn’t even touched the ground

Thank you both. Will call the local dealership tomorrow as I cannot see the aftermarket catalog anywhere for the B.

True that.. i have the oem engine guard and the Wunderlich pannier guard.. I had an unfortunate drop at one of the light and the bime only touched one part of the engine guard.. pannier guard didn’t even touched the ground
sorry to hear about the drop. did your exhaust or pannier's touch the ground? I have the OEM engine guards on my TC and had been thinking about the Wunderlich pannier guards. they look cool but it looked like they leave the bottom outside corner of the pannier's exposed so I've been questioning their effectiveness in my mind. I don't think Wunderlich puts out any demo's on their guards.

you're saying they don't touch at all in a drop so you might have saved me $750

Anibal, I don't know for sure but I remember mentions of geometry and frame differences on the B model and TC I have over the purre and classic. but if BMW only has one set of OEM engine guards, I would guess the mounting points are identical so you might be okay with the Motea guards. maybe Motea customer service can confirm

BMW 25% off promotion ends Sunday. I bought a set of factory engine guards for my 2022 base model this week @ Gateway BMW. $450 out the door (including hardware). Their catalogue shows the bars in black, at least for the base R18. Don't know about the the pannier bars or availability for the B or TC.

sorry to hear about the drop. did your exhaust or pannier's touch the ground? I have the OEM engine guards on my TC and had been thinking about the Wunderlich pannier guards. they look cool but it looked like they leave the bottom outside corner of the pannier's exposed so I've been questioning their effectiveness in my mind. I don't think Wunderlich puts out any demo's on their guards.

you're saying they don't touch at all in a drop so you might have saved me $750
That’s correct

boy they sure are pretty. I may still add them at some point but can be a little more comfortable waiting to spend the money.

BTW, love that color. good taste :)

Beemerlover,
Thank you for the picture. Would it be possible to post a picture of the entire bike as a side view? Since I have the same colour scheme I wanted to see how the chrome bars contrast with the bike color. My heart is set on the black but I don’t think the OEM engine bar comes in black, therefore I may need to compromise somewhere.
I like the shape of the engine OEM bars and the Wunderlich panniers bars.
Thank you kindly.

Actually, I believe I have located the catalog under the UK Motorrad site. No prices listed so I need to contact the dealership for more info.
Thank you

Dear all.

I would like to add a set of engine and panniers crash bars, preferably in black as my engine, frame and fork is also black.

I like the moustache shape that Motea does but it seems to be only for the classic model.

For the panniers I much prefer the Wunderlich ones. Ideally I should buy from one place to get color matching etc, I just don’t like the oval shape Wunderlich designed for the engine bars.

Does anyone knows if the Motea engine bar for the classic also fits the Bagger? I am doubtful as the frame is slightly different but I am not expert.

Thank you all.
Get the wunderlich stuff mate then you no it will fit properly slipped on dirt and dropped mine not a mark my mate with aftermarket ones dropped his damage chrome cyl head cover 👍

Dear all.

Thank you all.
The Motea engine bar will fits the bagger. You will have to remove one side of the top mount where the steering stabilizer goes, same design as the OEM it have only one top mount.

Attachments

• 20230503_062509.jpg
    20230503_062509.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Get the wunderlich stuff mate then you no it will fit properly slipped on dirt and dropped mine not a mark my mate with aftermarket ones dropped his damage chrome cyl head cover 👍
Cheers mate.
I am not too keen on the shape Wunderlich gave to the engine crash bars. Obviously, looks are not everything and functionality has to be top priority. I think the OEM bars will deliver the design and functionality I am looking for. I do like the Wunderlich bars for the panniers so I will getting these from them and the engine ones from BMW.

The Wunderlich bar is useless for a tip over. The engine bar and the bottom of the exahust will touch before the Wunderlich bar. The only thing the Wunderlich bar is good for is an impact from the side with the bike upright, like from a shopping cart. That said, I loved the look of the Wunderlich bar and how it follows the lines of the bag. I would have kept mine on but they interfered with my new exhaust.

Back