Drain plug sizes?

I was looking fore the thread size but after watching the videos on the three different fluid changes I see two of the plugs are already magnetic.
Good stuff, thanks.
Thread size, why did you not say so, that make all the difference in the world.
They are exactly as big around as the Coke Zero bottle cap and one and one half threads to my finger nail thickness.

Last edited:
after watching the videos on the three different fluid changes I see two of the plugs are already magnetic.
Is the engine oil plug supposed to be magnetic? I watched a video where they said it's magnetic, but when I checked on my R18B it wasn't. Admittedly, the plug is still on the bike so I checked it from the outside, but there was no magnetic force at all so I can't imagine the inside would be magnetic either.

Could be a core, but it would have to be pretty small/thin to fit inside the thread only. Magnetizing the whole plug would be easier/cheaper I think. But I don't know.

I know that many fridge magnets are magnetic on one side only, but they are flat, don't know the reason/technique.

Anyone changed the engine oil and noticed metal on the plug?

Looking at the picture from the earlier mentioned YouTube video, pressing some sort of ferrite into a steel plug would make the most sense; if a ferrite was used to make the drain plug, I could easily see that being an issue if over torqued - it would disintegrate piece by piece.

It's a great idea in order to capture any little fine pieces of worn steel from contaminating the other friction-moving parts. Perhaps, maybe the design of the drain plug is even more simple; where it creates a low point for heavier particles to collect within the cavity of the plug and be protected from turbulence of moving oil within the engine case.

Definitely something I'll take a closer look at, when I do my next oil change
Screenshot_20230321-063003.png

if a ferrite was used to make the drain plug, I could easily see that being an issue if over torqued - it would disintegrate piece by piece.
I was referring to the whole plug being magnetized by induction, but I don't know what type of (stainless) steel would be suitable for a magnetic oil plug.

But you are most probably right, and thanks for the pic which helps to clarify. Still, I'm surprised that there isn't a small amount of magnetic force on the outside, but perhaps a weak magnet is sufficient for the tiny steel pieces to attach. It just seems to me that a stronger magnet would catch more steel pieces - so while this oil plug might catch some metal, it might not be as efficient as it could be. But what do I know.

Back