Dot4 vs V10

R18 100

Site Supporter
I always used dot4 hydraulic fluid on my R1200C for both brake lines and clutch lines.
With the R18, BMW uses V10 for clutch. OReilly didn’t know what I was talking about when I asked for V10!

Was told today on the phone that this fluid is lifetime, i.e. won't need to change for the life of the bike.

Last edited:
I always used dot4 hydraulic fluid on my R1200C for both brake lines and clutch lines.
With the R18, BMW uses V10 for clutch. OReilly didn’t know what I was talking about when I asked for V10!

Was told today on the phone that this fluid is lifetime, i.e. won't need to change for the life of the bike.
Love good news! And that is good news!

The clutch uses mineral oil concoction and should not be mixed with dot4, etc. Brake fluid will damage seals and if used in an emergency should be flushed asap! Magura offers a mineral oil if you can't locate the V10.

I haven't looked on my. R18, but in the past BMW has the type of fluid to use imprinted on the cap.

click

I can inform you from painful experience , do not use Dot4 as clutch fluid on R1800 , it will perish the clutch rubber in the resovoir will lead to other problems , clutch fluid is mineral on an R1800 i know and it was a costly experience .

The head mechanic at my dealership told me about the mineral oil-based clutch fluid. I had asked them to change the fluid because it had darkened and, based on years of using standard DOT hydraulic clutch & brake fluid, which is hygroscopic, and a couple of clutch slave cylinder failures on my GS, I wanted the fluid changed. Which they did.
Mineral oil is not hygroscopic, it's apparently hygrophobic; perhaps it was unnecessary but I felt better with fresh, clean clutch fluid.
Interesting article here, though it is bicycle-centric.
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/brake-fluid-mineral-oil-vs-dot

Back