DNA Air Filter Cage and Stock Air Filter

LCRC18B

Tried to install a DNA Air Filter cage on my stock air filter today, to get rid of the stock lid and open up the air box but still have the stock filtering capability. Couldn't get it to compress the filter enough to form a good seal; I could still slide a piece of paper under the front of the cage even with it tightened up.

I'm going to assume that DNA's Air filter has a thicker lip/rim. Can anyone comment on that from experience?

Try removing the input gator shape duct (not sure what to call the accordion shaped piece); perhaps that will allow it to breath easier?

I believe in leaving that stuff stock, where I trust the engineering staff in their calculations.

I was wondering if anyone had done this setup to get some insight. Posted the question a month ago.

I’ve got the dna and cage set coming tomorrow so will be able to speak to the lip thickness. Odd that it’d be different enough, but I guess not impossible.

I do hope you get it fitted for some real world thoughts on it.

Thanks guys. I pulled out the snorkels for now. Will see if that helps at all as soon as it stops raining. I would have thought they were the same thickness too, but at least on mine it didn't compress the filter enough to tell me it has a good seal. You can slide a piece of thin paper under the metal cover and the air filter. The stock air box cover definitely compresses the filter lip a lot more.

Does the K&N filter rim get compressed enough to form a good seal? Will a piece of notebook paper slide between the filter and the metal cage? Maybe I'll get one of their filters.

I feel like the R18 needs to breathe. I understand why some people believe that the engineers have it figured out, but I come from the Dirt Bike world where manufacturers have to make huge compromises to meet EPA/CARB emissions standards/rules. On most of my recent dirt bikes, derestricting the air box has resulted in huge performance gains that are night and day; you won't find anyone that says it's not true on that side of the isle. That said, you could run the R18 stock forever and still have enough performance. To each their own.

I was wondering if anyone had done this setup to get some insight. Posted the question a month ago.

I’ve got the dna and cage set coming tomorrow so will be able to speak to the lip thickness. Odd that it’d be different enough, but I guess not impossible.

I do hope you get it fitted for some real world thoughts on it.
Hey BigJim, Did you fit the new air filter? Does the lip seem any thicker? Is there good compression the frame and the filter?

Hey BigJim, Did you fit the new air filter? Does the lip seem any thicker? Is there good compression the frame and the filter?
Hey hey,

The DNA set came a day late and pushed my whole install plan. The DNA lip measures 5mm, but I haven't yet pulled the stock out to look side-by-side. I'll report back once I have a comparison

I'm anxious to hear the results, and the possible difference between the DNA set up and the K&N??
I plan to remap my 2023 anniversary model and change the air filter....then leave it alone. Waiting until after the 600 mile service...

I'm anxious to hear the results, and the possible difference between the DNA set up and the K&N??
I plan to remap my 2023 anniversary model and change the air filter....then leave it alone. Waiting until after the 600 mile service...
Just got my 600 done and I immediately remapped. Didn't plan for this to happen until early spring, but we got some bonus days here with decent enough weather to stack some miles on. Plus the black friday deals on some of these bits didn't hurt. Yet to run the bike out with the tune, but it's ready when the weather perks up again.

Just got my 600 done and I immediately remapped. Didn't plan for this to happen until early spring, but we got some bonus days here with decent enough weather to stack some miles on. Plus the black friday deals on some of these bits didn't hurt. Yet to run the bike out with the tune, but it's ready when the weather perks up again.
VERY anxious to hear??? And the air filter??
What re map did you get, I think there is only one correct?

VERY anxious to hear??? And the air filter??
What re map did you get, I think there is only one correct?
Yeah, Brentune is the only thing I'm aware of. Expensive as all get-out, but the praise for it on these pages is huge. Excited to see what the fuss is about. Was easy to remap with their instructions. I'll get the filter in within the next few days. Christmas day might have me in the 50s, so will roll a few if that happens.

I'd doubt there's any real world difference between DNA and K&N. Same type of filter media gonna be functionally identical. A dyno run would be the only way to know for sure, and I'd bet those charts would overlap. What I'm most curious about is running the DNA frame with a stock filter. You get the open air with the time-tested paper filter. Again, might not know anything outside of a dyno run tho.

Looks like the stock lip is 8-9mm while the DNA is 5mm. DNA fits right in and there is no gap between their bracket and the filter. Couldn’t get any paper in there. Odd that you’d have room to go with the stock being thicker than dna.

I did need new screws though, as the stock screws were about 5mm short of working with the dna bracket. 2 20mm and 2 25mm would be ideal, but grabbed 4 20mms and it worked fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Looks like the stock lip is 8-9mm while the DNA is 5mm. DNA fits right in and there is no gap between their bracket and the filter. Couldn’t get any paper in there. Odd that you’d have room to go with the stock being thicker than dna.

I did need new screws though, as the stock screws were about 5mm short of working with the dna bracket. 2 20mm and 2 25mm would be ideal, but grabbed 4 20mms and it worked fine.
Thanks for checking. I'm thinking that the brass inserts for the screws in the air box are not fully seated or something. Thank you for checking. Happy Holidays.

I went back after it tonight. Pulled the air box cover off, put the screws in and got the inserts seated on the bottom, backed out the screws, and now the frame fits tightly.

Thanks again for checking BigJimSlim. I didn't want to chase my tail if it needed a thicker air filter to work.

Back