Definition of Farkle a Term Often Used by BMW Owners

I don't believe it is a uniquely BMW term, and I've only heard it in the context of adventure bikes (from all manufacturers). In general, when I was an adventure dude, I saw it used almost exclusively as a bit of a dig at folks spending money on 100 pounds worth of protection (bars, plates, blah blah) that were 95% road riders and only hit the occasional well maintained dirt/gravel road. Every other style of bike seems to just call it customization, upgrades, or speed parts.

I don't believe it is a uniquely BMW term, and I've only heard it in the context of adventure bikes (from all manufacturers). In general, when I was an adventure dude, I saw it used almost exclusively as a bit of a dig at folks spending money on 100 pounds worth of protection (bars, plates, blah blah) that were 95% road riders and only hit the occasional well maintained dirt/gravel road. Every other style of bike seems to just call it customization, upgrades, or speed parts.
Did not mean to imply the term was exclusive to BMW Owners.

I first saw the term farkle at the Chromeheads.org forum. The term was used often with respect to the R1200C. I rode that bike for 14 years. It’s still my favorite.

I’d heard farkle in reference to both sport touring and adventure bikes, but not as a pejorative at least in the BMW MOA context. The dig on adventure riders was typically in regards to spotless bikes parked outside Starbucks.

Customization always seemed weird to me to use to describe bolting on off-the-shelf parts, hopups or upgrades makes more sense in that case.

Back