cruise controll

i want to have cruise control on my first edition. I contacted my dealer to see about getting it installed and they told me that if the bike didn't have it from the factory, it can't be added. They recommended getting an after market throttle lock type setup. Any recommendations? Thanks.

i want to have cruise control on my first edition. I contacted my dealer to see about getting it installed and they told me that if the bike didn't have it from the factory, it can't be added. They recommended getting an after market throttle lock type setup. Any recommendations? Thanks.
The very first production units of the R18 Pure had not options for cruise control from the factory. When the R18 Classic was released with cruise OEM, the harness and ECU was updated to support cruise & is why you can now get it on the Pure. If you had one of the earlier production build units, there isn’t a way to add it cost effectively as you’d need to retrofit a new ECU and harness and perhaps some other parts. There isn’t a “retrofit” kit either, so this would be a bit frankenstein from newer model year parts with no guarantee it would all work, which is why your dealer likely said it wasn’t possible.

I have the Kaoko throttle lock on my GS. It’s not as convenient as a true cruise control, but I only use that if I’m stuck on highway. It is a discreet wheel at the end of the grip. Here’s the one for the R18 Pure https://kaoko.com/product/ccf138/

I have OEM cruise on my BMW S1000R as well & that gets used <5% of my riding time as I’m mostly riding that in a more sporty manner, so no steady throttle. The cruise on my R18 Classic is used a bit more often, but I don’t typically ride highway on it either, so it’s really some more sedate back roads where I’ll use it. I wouldn’t use a throttle lock on backroads, but on the highway, it’s completely fine & much cheaper option than any cruise control. The Kaoko design unlocks as you roll forward to close the throttle and I’ve gotten used to using my pinky to twist it locked while holding a speed.

Reactions: Vyk
Back